Sign in to follow this  
sgtsampay

Rebuilt a 4 pinon 8 sp

sgtsampay

Hi all. As you guys may know, I took apart my tranny last weekend cause i found three broken bearing on it and I wanted to get those fixed before i run it some more.

Well, last night I got my new parts and replace the bad ones, and out a new gasket on.

I also was able a few days ago, to get that stuck hub off, by taking the axle and hub and place it between two piece of metal. I then punched the center of the hub and after a few wacks the axle slid right out.

Once I did that, I put the snap rings back and put the diff back together.

Well, last night I put everything together and just as i finished the last bolt on the tranny. I turned the thing around so I could put the brake hub on and then the whole tranny fell on to my foot and then on the floor.

thankfully the floor was only about 3 feet up and nothing cracked or dented.

How ever one of the axle popped the ring and came out.

I then took the whole thing apart and found the ring, which was in good shape and placed it back on the axle. I also checked the grove and it looked the same as the other side but i still have my doubts.

so tonight before i put the tranny on the tractor, I was going to tap the hubs with the a piece of 2x4 to see if the axle will pop the ring again. Is there a better test i can do to make sure ring won't pop out again? Thanks all.

Shuboxlover

I don't have an answer to your question. but I hope your foot is O.K. :ychain:

Anglo Traction

Hi Bobby, It sounds like the axle shaft that popped the snap ring was pushed out by the other when it landed. I hope your foot is ok !.

If the Ring Slot in the splined part of the shaft has square shoulders, then they should be ok. If the side of those ring grooves are worn on the Inner (Diff) end, then the rings are riding up the worn edge and allowing the ring to pop.

So you need Square shoulders in the grooves for the rings to butt against.

If they're not too bad , then the natural forces through normal use should not cause the rings to pop again in a hurry.

Happy New Year, from another ex 'Tranny Virgin'. :ychain:

sgtsampay

Well it ok today, no aches or anything, so i hope I didn't hurt anything down there. LOL.

Thansk sir..

Anglo Traction

Just remembered also.... you need to ensure the Snap Ring is fitted with the Sharp edge nearest the Diff end of the shaft. This has a greater 'resistance to force' effect against what should be a square groove shoulder.

sgtsampay

Just remembered also.... you need to ensure the Snap Ring is fitted with the Sharp edge nearest the Diff end of the shaft. This has a greater 'resistance to force' effect against what should be a square groove shoulder.

Sir, I really don't understand what you mean.

The only thing I saw in the diff was the snap ring and the grove i nthe shaft. I then opened the ring and placed into the grove. There is also a gear behind the ring, as the ring seems ot hold the gear onto the shaft so it doesn;t fall off.

Correct?

stevasaurus

Bobby...Richard is right...sounds like you did great.....except for the gravity part. :D Hope you are OK. :ychain:

dgjks6

Some snap rings have 2 different sides - one with a rounded edge and one with a square edge. I talked to the dealer about this when I rebuild mine and he inspected the new snap rings and said the new OEM snap rings have only sharp (square edges).

oldandred

If it hit the floor and a axle came out and you didnt replace the c clip or snap ring with a new one youre going to wish you had.

been there done that

sgtsampay

If it hit the floor and a axle came out and you didnt replace the c clip or snap ring with a new one youre going to wish you had.

been there done that

I was afraid of that.

I did however check and the oold snap ring was still very stiff and looked in good shape.

Since i already have the thing together and I will be testing it a lttle tonight, I will try and leave it alone until something breaks. I hate gambles...

sgtsampay

Well, my gamble failed. I did my little test and the axle came right out.

I had to take the whole tranny apart. i then took both axle out of the diff and then took a double bladed hacksaw and made the old worn out grove nice and strait/a little deeper. I then placed the old snap rings in the groves but then rebent the rings so they are very tight and shouldn't be moveing anytime soon.

I then put the whole thing back together and did my 2x4 test and the tranny past with flying colors.

So tomorrow, the tranny will be mounted on the tractor and we will see if it will live again..