Sign in to follow this  
truckin88

A pretty 416-H is it worth this price

truckin88

A dealer near me has a 416H, it is beautiful, black stripe. Comes with a 48" deck only 300+ hours on it (it has been on ebay, you may have seen it). They are asking around $2400. So I made some offers back and forth, and their lowest is $2000, they sold it new and got it back from the original owner, when a rat built a nest in a cylinder and killed the motor. They spent about 1000 to have the motor rebuilt a local machine/motor shop with a good rep, so it is like new. I know if I wanted to resell it would be hard to get my money back....but as a worker that I keep for a while what are your thoughts. I am back and forth on onan's have owned 2 or 3, bigger fan of the kohlers.

truckin88

I offered $1500 cash money, they said nooooo

dgoyette

I wouldn't pay their asking price Will. I think your offer was more than fair. Of course there is always the thought of what will $2,000.00 buy for a new tractor these days. Not much. But still there are too many good tractors out there for much less $ IMO

Cody

I would say that seeing as the engine was just rebuilt professionally, there is only 300 hours on it and it comes with a 48" deck, Its a pretty good price, around here the price for that unit would be between 2500 and 3000. We have a local dealer and thats what he gets for his 416H's. I think if someone is looking for a worker that would be the one to have the 416h is a good working machine.

btrrg1969

Of course there is always the thought of what will $2,000.00 buy for a new tractor these days. Not much.

THAT WAS WHAT I WAS THINKING WHEN READING THIS , THEY JUST DONT MAKE EM LIKE THAT ANYMORE . I AGREE YOUR PRICE IS FAIR . THEY MAY HAVE PUT TO MUCH INTO IT TO MAKE A PROFIT .BUT IF YOU WANT IT AND YOU THINK IT IS WORTH IT I SAY GO FOR IT :ychain:

Operator

With a new motor a 48" deck the rest of tractor is in nice shape it should still be worth the $2000 right? Split the diff. offer them $1800. Nice lawn cruiser with good power right?

Let us all know how you turn out.

Randy

btrrg1969

I CHECKED IT OUT ON EBAY , MAN THAT IS SHARP.ALREADY DRESSED OUT WITH HUB CAPS AND " It has a one year warranty. " THAT WOULD BE HARD TO LET GO

rickv1957

Sounds like a fair deal for a nice tractor!

Brandonsj04

I wouldn't say that is a bad price for what it is being that it has been rebuild, but depending on how much damage was caused and how much material the machine shop has taken out, I would be more apt to find a good used unit that can be had for $1000. I mean onan's are expensive engines to rebuild, and if the engine was already overbored alot, it might be the only rebuild the block will take. So the engine is half life so to speak. Atleast with a used unrebuild unit, you will have whatever left in it's useful life plus another $1000 to spent on a rebuild. Just my opinion though. Good luck with whatever you do!

zieg72

Just sold a 416H a month or 2 ago on ebay with under 400 hours, 42" deck and 42" single snowthrower and it brought $1550. They are nice machines wish I would have kept it...

Butch

a rat built a nest in a cylinder and killed the motor.

????? :ychain: The head musta had one major compression leak! :D

truckin88

Just sold a 416H a month or 2 ago on ebay with under 400 hours, 42" deck and 42" single snowthrower and it brought $1550. They are nice machines wish I would have kept it...

Some more background, this has been on ebay for close to a year. I think as was mentioned before, they put to much $$$ into it. I honestly think w/o snow removal equipment, weights, it is worth $1400-1500 max. As mentioned before, if it is over bored, you never know. It sure is pretty, but there are a lot of pretty ones, and Kohlers are my preference. So I think I will pass and keep looking. That dealer is super nice, but I think the price is to much.

I do agree with the thinking that you don't get much for 2K, but in the past few years I have seen beauties for 400-1500 grace these and other pages (and my garage).

truckin88

The email I got from Rick, was also there in person

"We are firm on our price. The motor was professionally rebuilt at the Highland Machine Shop. I sold the tractor to a customer new and it had a mouse nest and one cylinder over heated. We have over $1200.00 in motor rebuilt. "

zieg72

The email I got from Rick, was also there in person

"We are firm on our price. The motor was professionally rebuilt at the Highland Machine Shop. I sold the tractor to a customer new and it had a mouse nest and one cylinder over heated. We have over $1200.00 in motor rebuilt. "

Probably the problem is that the dealer gave him a nice trade in and probably dropped their pants on the price of whatever the PO bought. After the rebuild they won't loose money. That is my thinking but the tractor will bring a decent amount when all said and done.

Ken B

As far as sellers go I don't think you will find a more honest seller than Rick. I really don't think there is any problem with how much he wants for this tractor. He is within range for a unit like this one in my opinion. It even comes with a one yr. warranty. Have you seen what 1500.00 gets you at Sears these days? JUNK. I would buy it too keep it and not worry about resale. If you are patient, something might come along that is cheaper but it won't mean it is a better machine. It sure is clean. What did it cost new?

truckin88

Ken,

I agree, Rick is good people, I have spent lots of money there on parts as I am sure many of us have. I don't question how good they are or how nice the tractor is, I would have offered the 1500 if it was crap. The tractor is within the proper range, and the argument of what does 1500 get you is valid. The other thing is that this has not moved for a year so that is something to consider. Another thing is my neighbor bought a brandy new simplicity GT with snow blower and it was $5500 with a briggs vanguard.

Maybe walking in with 1800 cash will change people moods......I am gonna be in trouble....hehe

truckin88

Correction, I would not have offered 1500 if it was crap...stupid BB mobile browser won't let me edit the post.

stevebo

Will,

$1500 will buy you a very nice machine. Knowing you it will not stay at your house more than a year or 2 and when you go to resell you will lose a bunch of money if you pay $1800. If you were a guy that holds onto machines for the long haul I would agree to go for it. I am not trying to give you a hard time just trying to help you out. Good luck-

truckin88

Stevebo, happy new year and good point...I can't hold onto cars or tractors, I don't run to fail...I get bored and try something different as long as it is a WH

jimbotelho

Will I agree with my son hppy//healthy new year!!!!!!!!! :ychain: :D

stevebo

Plus like you said you want a Kohler !!!

Giles

"when a rat built a nest in a cylinder and killed the motor"I would be more then curious as to how this happened!

Sounds funny to me. :ychain:

Being a mechanic--I don't buy a machine that has been rebuilt unless I know the person that did the work and I talk to him.

Been burnt a few times in a situation like this.

can whlvr

i think what is meant by a rats nest in the cylinder is a nest in the shroud that the fan shoots air into that in turn cools the head and block,a nest blocks the air flow and the engine overheats.

TheMooseIsLoose

I think it depends on which part of the country you are in. If in New England the price will fetch more

fireman

Now they have listed a 520 with 500 hours for $2599.00 :ychain: