Sign in to follow this  
Red Beard

1960s REO with a Tecumseh H60 No Spark

Red Beard

Hi this is my first post so bare with me. My neighbor picked up a 1960s REO Snow Thrower by Wheel Horse at an estate sale for $20 and gave it to me. It is in pretty good condition but has no spark. Because of the age of everything I was planning on replacing the magneto and points before putting it back together. So far I have had no luck in finding a magneto. Does anyone have any advice or links to a good parts source for these old motors?

It is a Tecumseh H60-75179E

Thanks!

Eric

TT

:ychain:

I would recommend trying to get spark with the pieces that are there before spending money on new parts.

If the points have been open for a while, they could be corroded and not making contact. Try filing them first, make sure they're opening and gapped correctly, and give it a shot.

Red Beard

Thanks. That was my original intention but with no garage and no daylight in the evening I have had a hard time finding time to work on it. I guess it really isn't much work to put it back together. I just don't want it to take me all winter to fix.

I don't mind spending some money this looks like a well built machine.

TT

If you decide to purchase the parts, this link will lead you to a site with part numbers:

PartsTree.com - magneto IPL

Don1977

Are you sure you don't have a spark. The Tecumseh don't have much spark when they are right, not like a Kohler or Briggs. I was given a Tecumseh back in the summer that they said had no spark. I cleaned the carburetor and it started right up.

Red Beard

Thanks for the info.

I am an automotive mechanic but have little small engine experience (briggs only at that). With the plug plugged into the wire held against the head I see no spark. The Carb definitely needs a good cleaning either way though. I guess I will clean everything up and put it back together with the proper gap and cross my fingers. Hopefully I can make the time this weekend. Thank you both for the help.

mr.pipes

There is a small engine guy on youtube who has tons of videos. Some of them helped me out with a couple of things I was unsure about on Techy's. His name is donyboy73. Search for tecumseh points and his video's pop up first. He does a lot of walk behind snowblower stuff and the majority ot them are Techy's.

btrrg1969

Red Beard

Awesome! Thanks again! I will update when I have some new info.

If all goes well I may end up restoring this old beauty.

wheelhorse656

hey i have the points and condecer and mag for the eingine just let me know if u are intereasted points and conser str is $6 and mag is $15 i have checked all he mags i own and they are all good. :ychain:

SkyhawkTL

My vote says primary side ignition - points, condenser.

I'd keep the parts you currently have, and adjust the points back to spec.

Get one of those clip on spark testers and start with the gap set down around .020.

Keep us posted.

Anglo Traction

Hi , Welcome . I presume your 'kitted out' with a manual for the H60?. I managed to refurbish a derelict H60 for someone, but went through the whole Valve/Cylinder/Carb and then Ignition/Timing system first. After replacing the usual points/condenser and checking the Magnets etc, I did not get a spark at first, then realised that the Throttle lever was not moved to just past the 'Old Tortoise' position :ychain: (the linkage grounds the spark to stop the engine on my set up) When I had 'Sussed' this out it fired up after 18 years.

ps; I won't show you a photo of the Tillers's condition as was, as the paintwork is Yellow/Green :D (it's not mine, I just use it on their behalf now)

Happy New Year.

rickv1957