Sign in to follow this  
moosecountry

Snowthrower Chain Help 79360

moosecountry

Hi all, newbie here~!

I have a Toro 314 with 79360 snowthrower attachment. I have all the manuals and have read them, but am having a problem with the snowthrower chain.

I just bought that machine and test drove it last night before buying it. Everything worked find. Today the auger would not engage and upon inspection I noticed the chain had come off the sprockets.

The manual clearly shows an adjustable idler sprocket, but I have neither the sprocket nor the "slot" in the side of the snowthrower for this idler sprocket. The manual does not cover replacement of the chain or a diagram for how the chain should be routed around the sprockets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Tim

Duff

Hi, Tim, and :D !

Glad you found us!

Some of the folks who know snowblowers (I don't) are at work and such, so replies may not be immediate but I'm sure someone will come along to help you out.

So.....where is "moosecountry" in your neck of the woods?

Duff :ychain:

pfrederi

I think you will find that idler on the bottom in the front is in a slot and can be adjusted. The slot is fairly short and isn't always visible. (at least it is that way on all my snowblowers

Sparky

Heres a couple pics of my snowblower. I'm pointing at the nut you loosen to adjust the tension and the other pic shows the chain routing. The adjustable sprocket is the lowest one.

Mike.........

001-1.jpg

002-2.jpg

WH nut

If the chain is streched a bit, you can always take a die grinder and expand the slot just a tad

Trouty56

Cheater!!...lol....now that is a good idea. :ychain:

moosecountry

Heres a couple pics of my snowblower. I'm pointing at the nut you loosen to adjust the tension and the other pic shows the chain routing. The adjustable sprocket is the lowest one.

Mike.........

001-1.jpg

002-2.jpg

Wow, thanks!

Man that certainly does not look like an adjustment slot! Also, great pic on the routing of the chain around all the sprockets! Pic is worth a thousand words!

Thanks so much, my machine should be back together late tonight!

Tim :ychain:

• Like 1

TT

Just for the heck of it, I "painted" a picture for future reference:

throwerchain.jpg

:ychain:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

catman81056

As per TT's drawing, that is how a blower for a horizontal shaft tractor runs.

I bought a used blower and after getting it attached (had to do a little fabbing) the auger ran backwards. Apperently the blower was for a vertical shaft tractor. No prob, just add the upper idler (or was it the lower?) and re-route a new chain. Works like a charm.

• Like 2

WheelHorse_of_course

Hello Tim and :D

I had chain problems on my blower. A couple of things I learned

1) Once it has been derailed the chain may have a twist and give problems in the future. Fortunately I learned from the folks here on Red Square that Tractor Supply and similar stores sell roller chain at quite reasonable prices. So, if it comes off again replace it (mine would get jammed every time it came off, making the repair a big pain in the b*tt).

2) Where the top of the blower meets the sides there are several welds. They don't look that important, but they are more so than one would think. What was happening with mine was that the side wing was causing the side to flex out (due to one of these welds being broken) and this allowed the auger to move slightly in that direction and that cause the chain to jump. The temporary solution was some shim washers and to remove the side wings. Obviously repairing the broken weld is the correct solution.

3) Double check the spacer(s) on that adjustable idler according to the manual.

I just figured I'd pass this along in case it helps.

Welcome to the group and have fun with your horse.

:D :ychain:

• Like 1