Sign in to follow this  
theoldwizard1

Questions about K series

theoldwizard1

The following question are regarding single cylinder Kohler K Series engines from 10 - 16hp.

1. [*:27lbh1wk]It seems that all of the K series engine used in Wheel horse tractors have the suffix "AS". The "A" means alternate oil pan and the "S" means electric start
  • [*:27lbh1wk]On "A" versus non-"A" engines, are their any other difference ?[*:27lbh1wk].Can a non-"A" be converted to an "A" by simply swapping the oil pan assuming the crank end is correct ?

[*:27lbh1wk]What are the specs on the output shaft (diameter & length) ?[*:27lbh1wk]Is there any interchange in carbs between different engines ?[*:27lbh1wk]Are their markings on the carb to know if it is the proper one for your engine ?

rmaynard

The A cannot be interchanged with a non-A, as the blocks have different size bottoms where the pan attaches.

Output shaft is 1-1/8", length is 3-1/2"

Carburetors are the same between S and AS, but not between models.

There are castings in the carbs with numbers.

If I am wrong, I'm sure it will be noted.

Bob

pfrederi

The A oil pan was used principally on the isolation (shaker) mounts used on many C series.

I put an A oil pan on a Magnum 12 that had a regular oil pan so that I could put it in a shaker mount on my C81. You do have to watch out for oil dipper on the connecting rod end cap. Some are to long and will hit the pan. I also had to do a quick mod on the Magnum block as it originally had a low oil switch.

8073da112795506.jpg 9be43f112795510.jpg

86f634112795515.jpg 694b04112795533.jpg

264889112795540.jpg

linen beige

1. It seems that all of the K series engine used in Wheel horse tractors have the suffix "AS". The "A" means alternate oil pan and the "S" means electric start
  • 2. On "A" versus non-"A" engines, are their any other difference ?
    3. Can a non-"A" be converted to an "A" by simply swapping the oil pan assuming the crank end is correct ?

4. What are the specs on the output shaft (diameter & length) ?

5. Is there any interchange in carbs between different engines ?

6. Are their markings on the carb to know if it is the proper one for your engine ?

1. Nope. There are several models with recoil starters. These are spec numbered as "T".

2. As already answered, the "A was a special oil pan.

3. No. Already answered as pan mounting holes are likely different and the depth may cause the connecting rod oil dipper to hit the oil pan.

4. Already answered.

5. You may find some limited interchange between differing horsepower engines that are close in size, but a carb off of a 4hp would have a VERY hard time supplying enough fuel to run a 16 hp.

6. Yes. The specific model number of each carb SHOULD be stamped along the top of the mounting flange (The end that goes against the engine).