Sign in to follow this  
Cleaverkid

Let there be light...please!

Cleaverkid

Hey guys,

I know you're a great bunch of heads with excellent ideas, so before I start, I thought I'd get some recommendations from the best experts. :ychain:

I'm off work this week and looking to do some tinkering with the 854 plow machine. He's never had any lights, but I like some of the pictures on Redsquare of others using lights. So I'm seriously thinking of putting something on mine.

So here's my request...what's your recommendation? I'm not looking for anything too outlandish or high tech...just something that won't ruin the looks or be too out of place. Should I go with a cyclops type setup, duals, both front and backup, etc? There's no lights on it now and it's original as far as engine/starter/gen goes, so I can't put too high powered stuff either.

Thanks for your thoughts! :D

Retired Wrencher

:D :D:ychain: please do not drill any holes in the hood have them mount of the frame if u can. OK Gary B....

TT

As Gary said - don't drill holes in the hood ~ unless it's too late! :ychain:

This isn't the best scan, but it should give you some ideas:

hl-5ipl.jpg

I recommend installing a 15amp fuse in the wire between the regulator terminal and the switch though.

Depending on the actual light(s) you choose, you might only need one. In that case, make the mounting bracket one-sided instead of "U" shaped.

theoldwizard1

One thing everyone seems to forget when they add lights is "Do I really have the power ?" The answer is "maybe". The stator output of your engine can easily be overwhelmed leading to stalling, no starting or a dead battery.

The once of prevention is to seriously look into LED lights. I know some here have done it and can make specific recommendations. I highly recommend it. Yes, they will probably cost several time more than other lights but your tractor will start the next day.

And if you don't have a battery charger, treat yourself to a belated Christmas present !

TT

Food for thought.........

The "good old" PM 507 or 507F utility light (with the 12V/35W sealed beam lamp) will produce plenty of light for most jobs - and it won't overload the generator on these old tractors.

It's basically the same lamp that's used on the WorkHorse GT's, and a lot of the third-generation C series & 300/400 models.

Just about any good farm or auto supply store usually has these (or their equivalent) on the shelf, and they're weatherproof, vibration resistant, and relatively inexpensive.

The HL-5 kit shown above used #1156 automotive bulbs and weren't real impressive with making things bright. Anything beyond that would be an improvement!

sorekiwi

The little lights on the side of this hood are $18 for the pair at Walmart. 55W Halogens. I've never run them for more than about a half hour at a time but the S/G seems to keep up with them (although the 1276 does have the big battery).

IMG_2589_cropped.jpg

One day I'll get round to making an HL-5 style mount for them.

And before I get yelled at, the holes in the hood were already there! and they'll be getting filled back up when I find my round-tuit!

Cleaverkid

WOW! I knew I'd get some great ideas from you guys! :ychain:

Gary, no I haven't yet, and don't have any plans to drill holes in this hood, but to be honest, it's been crumpled and banged out twice now so i'm not sure a hole would really damage it that much more!

Terry, tell me more about that "good old" PM507 utility light. Are you talking about a hand-held unit or am I thinking something different? Oh, and thanks for the scan...I think I can make some sense of it.

OldWiz, I like your idea about the LED's. I was actually thinking about something like that already, but didn't know where to find them or how involved it was over a standard wiring job.

Mike, I like the halogens, but I was worried about the power consumption versus the old starter/gen.

I'm hoping to hear from our resident professor at SOI, Karl, before I do anything drastic!

TT

Click this link:

Tractor Utility Lights

Cleaverkid

TT..Thank you! Perfect! :ychain:

So you've used these without too much overload on the S/G? Looks like I might need to make a visit to the local Tractor Supply!!!

HorseFixer

Well this is a picture of my machine with LED Lights a matter of fact 520 of them total. :D You can buy some Halogen Fog Lites get a dremel and replace the halogen energy sucking bulbs with LED's from e-bay that pull 1/4 of the power and are way brighter! Led lights on snow are unbelievable. Go to my signature and click on snow machine build and I think page 5-7 shows you how. I was running into the same problem overtaxing my charging system and still have enough lite untill I did this mod. Maybe you could put a light bar overhead or do this on an HL-5 bar as TT suggested that way get best of both worlds bright lights low amperage. :ychain: Just a thought.

x147.jpg

Cleaverkid

Thanks, Duke! I've seen your videos before. In fact, that's what's got me started thinking about lights in the first place.

Unfortunatley, I'm not sure I have the skills or the patience to do that sort of re-fab work. Looks like something a surgeon would do, and I'm more the sledgehammer and backhoe sort of guy, if you get my drift! :ychain:

But I do LOVE those LEDs, though. Don't give up on me yet!

Save Old Iron

I'm more the sledgehammer and backhoe sort of guy, if you get my drift!

I hear ya Joe. I'm not a backhoe guy but I do play one when i fire up JD 855!

I always like to refrain from saying "you should do what I did" without asking a few simple questions as to what you are trying to accomplish, level of funds, etc. Everyone has different needs and a different pocketbook.

The issue with overloading the SG unit is a valid one. A PROPERLY FUNCTIONING SG produces on average around 10 amps of charge current. So an ideal total drain on the charging system would be 10 amps or less.

Depending on your needs...

how far do you need to see in the distance ? and backing up ?

need to see off to the sides ? flood vs spot beams ?

how long will it take to clear the area of snow? maybe you could afford a little extra battery drain and then hook the tractor up to a charger for a few hours ?

are you willing to mount a 2nd battery on the tractor (possibly in a weight box) ? this opens up a whole bunch of possibilities.

do people need to see you ? are you going to be driving on busy side streets?

how permanent does it need to be - winter and summer use ?

all said and done, take the total wattage of your bulbs you would like to place on the tractor, divide by 12 to get a rough approximation of the amperage you will draw from the battery / SG unit.

lets say you go with two 35 watt headlights and two 10 watt backup lights

thats 35 + 35 +10 +10 = 90watts

divide by 12 volts to get approximately 7.5 to 8 amps of current draw.

Even if you went with a 35 watt backup light, that's still less than 10 amps of current.

Now, if the regulator unit on the SG setup is not functioning properly, and the maximum current the regulator will allow to pass is in excess of 10 amps, the SG motor could be destroyed by overheating. One of the functions in the SG regulator is to "limit" the SG motor current to a safe level. If the CURRENT LIMIT relay in the SG reg is defective and stays inactive, the regulator will not limit current flow from the SG motor.

For the sake of argument, if you doubled the lights on the tractor and drew 20 amps, with the defective regulator present, the SG motor would attempt to flow the 20 amps and eventually self destruct. With a good battery on the tractor, a defective CURRENT LIMIT relay in the reg may go unnoticed because the battery would charge almost immediately after a start cycle of the tractor engine. Without the extra load of the lights, the SG motor would survive this short overload. Especially in the cold of winter.

I do not wish to over complicate the situation here but one also has to be cautious not to listening to over-simplified answers.

Let us know what YOUR ideal design would be and I'll help you with it.

As far as physical mounting - do what you're comfortable with. Some folks don't mind drilling holes - other may not mind plunking a "winter only" magnetic mount on the rusty hood of the tractor. Others settle for nothing less than chrome plated this and stainless steel that.

It's up to you and your needs. Let's hear what you need.

:ychain:

linen beige

The little lights on the side of this hood are $18 for the pair at Walmart. 55W Halogens. I've never run them for more than about a half hour at a time but the S/G seems to keep up with them (although the 1276 does have the big battery).

IMG_2589_cropped.jpg

I mounted a set of these on my 702., HL-5ish style. They are brighter than the high beams on my Volvo.

W9JAB

snowblower008-1.jpg

ALASKA213.jpg

Matorhorse002-1.jpg

WH nut
I'm more the sledgehammer and backhoe sort of guy, if you get my drift!

Cleaverkid

Gee, thanks guys & especially Karl!!! I knew if I waited long enough I'd get the master's touch on this situation! :ychain:

I haven't figured out how to paste entire replies inside my reply, but let me try the old faithful cut & paste solution to answer your questions:

how far do you need to see in the distance ?
Maybe 15 to 20 feet

and backing up ?
10 feet

need to see off to the sides ?
Straight ahead of usually good.

flood vs spot beams ?
Have no idea because I've never thought about the difference.

how long will it take to clear the area of snow?
I'm usually out for an hour or so...mostly because I'm playing with not only my 75 foot drive way, but most of the neighbors on our street.

maybe you could afford a little extra battery drain and then hook the tractor up to a charger for a few hours ?
Got a charger in the cabinet right above where the tractor is parked!

are you willing to mount a 2nd battery on the tractor (possibly in a weight box) ? this opens up a whole bunch of possibilities.
That's an idea I hadn't even thought about. Sounds complicated, though.

do people need to see you ? are you going to be driving on busy side streets?
Yes, it's a residential street and to be honest, many times I'm most worried about the local guy who takes care of the streets while I'm out riding around on the 854. Probably wouldn't be good to take us both out at the same time because I'm riding around in the dark without lights!! :D

how permanent does it need to be - winter and summer use ?
This is primarily a winter use tractor. Only used as a backup in the summer if tractor's 1 and 2 both fail!

Whew, that's a lengthy reply, but I hope it answers your questions.

Bottom line is, I just want to see what I'm moving and where I'm moving it to...and to be seen by the guy running down the street in his 4x4 pickup with blade at 20 to 30 mpn! But on the other hand, I've been doing it without lights for 20 years so even a penlight will be an improvement!

:D

Edited to make questions/answers easier to read...CO

CasualObserver

Umm... Joe.... SOI's name is Chuck.

Karl is the site admin. :ychain:

Save Old Iron

Umm... Joe.... SOI's name is Chuck.

Karl is now the squirrels name!

Plus my wife is on the floor laughing more than she has in months ! She will be in a weakened state from laughter - this could be a good thing !!!

A great holiday gift of laughter - no offense taken.

Cleaverkid

:D A THOUSAND APPOLOGIES.... :ychain:

But then again, I'm glad I could add a little levity to this thread! And you can tell you Mrs. that she sounds like the kind of lady I'd love to meet some day!

Anyway, Chuck, thanks again!

Coadster32

Thanks TT, I just ordered a set as well. Clean looking, and shouldn't draw too much. :ychain:

TT

They're a very tough light that fits the appearance of the older tractors more than the new high-tech lights. (yeah - that's just my opinion :ychain: )

My uncle has used these for years on his B series Allis Chalmers garden tractors with the S/G (some were mag ignition and a few were battery) without any issues.

I can't guarantee the output of your generators is at 100%, but you'll know soon enough how good the charging system is. :D

Cleaverkid

I like the look of those TT. Do you have any idea what wattage they are? I can't seem to find that on the Amazon link you provided.

I checked Tractor Supply's website and it doesn't look like they're available locally, so I can't check that before I order them.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and ideas.

TT

They probably use the same 12V / 35W sealed beam as the PM and/or Grote lights.

Here's another link: Ryder Fleet Products light

If you scroll down, you'll find a similar light in an LED version. They only draw 1.2 amps, but cost $89 more. :ychain:

Operator

TSC , Northern , Harbor Freight, They all have them, $8.00 and up. Watch for a sale price.

Randy

dodge78

and they'll be getting filled back up when I find my round-tuit!

th_tuitCustom.jpg

MR16 led bulbs are 2 inches in diameter and about 2 inches deep. They come in various wattage, degree beam patterns and brightness.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/sto...=%2Fbi-pin.html