Kelly

Engine rebuild??

TT
17 years ASE CERTIFIED engine master

flyovrcntry

HEY MASTER,

You are most certainly correct.If it ain't broke don't fix it

Kelly

If in spec. and don't need machining that is fine, BUT most times you will find that is not the case, or the person doing the work just does not know how to do the job correctly, and just sticks rings or even a new piston in and calls it rebuilt.

SkyhawkTL

WOW - interesting points.

The really good mechanical people I know would treat any rework description with the credit it deserves - very little. There are many other variables that change the bottom line. I would rather have a quick rework by a pro, than a "Blueprint" by a hammer jocky.

Someone elses work is just raw material at best. A starting point.

Take time to learn the science behind the mechanics if you want to be a high priest of whirring pistons. Then build to your high standards. That is what counts.

MikesRJ

I would rather have a quick rework by a pro, than a "Blueprint" by a hammer jocky.

I'll second that! :ychain:

stevasaurus

In this corner...at 5 foot 6 inches...weighing in at 175 pounds......

I just got into my first transmission earlier this year...it was broke. I tore it apart, cleaned it out, replaced all of the bearings and seals and sanded and painted the outside of the castings (rattle can)...forgot...used red primer under paint. I don't know what you guys would call that at this point...but to me...I tore it apart and did what I did and put it back together. It works now. :D I guess that is what I do. I fix the things that are broke. I will never use the "R" words again. :ychain:

Did I mention that my horses are not for sale. :hide:

Nothing wrong with educating the ignorant....I learn something every day. :D

bobert94

The word of the day is REUNBROKEN the art of making something work that did'nt before :ychain:

stevasaurus
The word of the day is REUNBROKEN

TT

As entertaining as this topic may be to some, Kelly had a legitimate reason to start it. The fact that some of you grabbed the ball and ran it completely out of the stadium is understandable, since you didn't have all of the information.

I'm almost positive this is where Kelly was TRYING to go:

I won't (and shouldn't have to) mention any names, but there was one particular person that was buying a tractor one day, and posting it as either "for sale" or "want to trade" within a day or two - often claiming that he "rebuilt the engine". I'm certainly not sure how the rest of you do it, but it takes me longer than a day or two to pull an engine, clean it, tear it apart/inspect it/have the necessary machine work performed/clean it again, get the appropriate replacement parts, and get it reassembled/reinstalled/and set up - especially if I have to do other work on the machine at the same time.

Take it however you like, but I agree with Kelly on the improper use of nomenclature in those listings. Fortunately, a lot of us know enough to not buy anything from a person like that, but others may not.

Imagine this scenario:

You are sold an engine that was advertised as "rebuilt" but it blows apart or locks up shortly after you start running it. How would you feel?

Later you come to find that the rings, head gasket, and oil pan gasket were all that was replaced before the seller dumped a shot of "RESTORE" in with the oil and blew paint over the outside. What if you paid $400 or $500 for that "rebuilt" engine? Bet you'd be a little upset, wouldn't you?

Chances are it you were told the truth, you might have offered less money, or passed on it altogether.

Can Kelly have the ball back now - please?

Kelly

Thanks TT I did not want to point fingers, but for the most part you hit it on the nose, I'm leaving this right where it is now, I'm not going to get in to a pissing match here, I thought this might enlighten some unknowing people so they at least know to ask a few questions and have a little info on there side, I'm sure 70% or more of the members here have no idea how to build a engine, and many will never even try, so a little knowledge might go a long way for them, I tell my kids shut up and listen to people, you might just learn something, even if you think you will never use that info, you will have the knowledge.

you guys can carry on now.

rmaynard

I just acquired a real nice K241S block from a 310-8. With all the parts I have from my banging, clunking, tapping and oil-burning K241AS, I intend to build from scratch, no wait, I can't say that, do a compilation, wait, I've been criticized for saying that before too, recondition?, renovate?, no that's not it either.

I'm going to turn a K241AS into a K241S. If it needs to be machined, I'll have it machined. If it needs new valves and guides, it will get them. If the crank needs to be turned and the rod replaced, I'll do that too. Whatever it takes to bring it to specs and make the engine run correctly and properly fit my B-100, I will do.

I guess I don't really need a dictionary definition for what I'm doing, nor do I need anyone else to tell me that what I am doing isn't what I'm doing.

I am not criticizing anyone here for what they call what they have done to their engines. All of us are from different backgrounds and work in different fields. In the office equipment business (where I spent 35 years), a rebuilt, reconditioned, or remanufactured printer cartridge were all the same thing.

However, I do agree that within a field such as this, certain descriptions of work done should be uniform. But because this is a hobby for most of us, it's not easy to maintain uniformity all the times either in work or definition.

So when it comes to the re-whatevering I am doing to my engine, what it is, is what it is. If I'm happy with, what else matters?

Bob

ps. I said earlier that I wasn't going to throw my opinion into it, but it looks like I did. :ychain:

TT

So when it comes to the re-whatevering I am doing to my engine, what it is, is what it is. If I'm happy with, what else matters?

If you do it to suit yourself - and use yourself, it's entirely up to you what you call it and how you put it together.

If you stick it together with zip ties & chewing gum (figuratively speaking) and try to sell it as a rebuilt engine, that's a different story - and the basis of this topic. :D

Some of these guys might not have ever witnessed sawdust in a car rear end, duct tape or expanding foam insulation under filler on the bottom of a freshly-painted car door, or a piece of leather sandwiched between a connecting rod cap and crank journal.

I personally hope they never have to. :ychain:

rmaynard

Whatever it takes to bring it to specs and make the engine run correctly and properly fit my B-100, I will do.

As I said, I will bring it to specs, even though it is just for me.

:ychain:

Bob

porkchop

I purchased a 14hp tractor last summer. It was an early 70,s model. It ran great and did not knock or smoke. The price was right and I am happy. The motor looked well used but ran great and still doe's. The guy told me the engine was rebuilt by his father and IT PROBABLY WAS ABOUT 1981. :ychain:

stevasaurus

I keep hearing people on here say they just rebuilt their engine and put new rings and gaskets in it, Well I've been building car engines for years and that would never cut it as a rebuild, overhaul or freshen up maybe, but not a rebuild, to me a rebuild is a complete remachining of the engine, starting with a complete disassembly of the engine, I mean everything, cleaning the block, boring the block to the correct size of the new piston, new valves, maybe grind them if still nice, check valve guides, replace if needed, grinding the crank, new rod, machine head flat, new gaskets ect..... you get the idea a new engine when done, rebuilt, not overhauled, sorry for the rant but it bugs me, to hear a set of rings and gaskets called a rebuild, What do you call a rebuild???

Let me say that I agree with the idea of calling an apple an apple.

This thread went exactly where Kelly wanted it to go, and TT, in your first post in this thread you tried to point it into the painting part direction. Don't get on us for taking this thread where it was only going to go in the first place. Kelly was on a soap box in his first post and then he asked how everybody felt about it. Enough said there.

You guys are obviously attacking a certain member, and you referenced to that. I think Kelly should have sent that person a PM or got off his soap box and handled the post in a different manner...maybe this.

How about we set up a dictionary for the terms we sometimes use incorrectly: restoration, rebuild, redo, rehab, etc. Let's have a discussion and maybe we can Pin it at the top of a section.

Much less antagonistic. :ychain: and not so serious as to offend some of the members.

Ken B

Don't forget Restified. That saw dust will quiet them noisy Mopar rear ends in a jiffy. :ychain: One of the oldest tricks in the book for them shady mechanics.

earlleecliffton

I understand what u mean Kelly

Gene_S

Come on guys enough has been said on this topic... Lets shut the door before the storm gets worse... :ychain:

TT

OK, Bob & Steve - you win. :D

I'll go by what the official RedSquare hobbyists call everything from now on. :ychain:

Sorry for being REdundant and REalistic - but some of us get offended occasionally too.

flyovrcntry

You had a certified master tell you what a rebuild is,but you dont want to listen.I agree with the well qualified mechanic,and that is if it needs to be machined or replaced do it if not then don't.