Sign in to follow this  
sgtsampay

Home alone for christms...

sgtsampay

Hi all. So, since I'm home alone for Christmas and had nothing really better to do, I decided I will Mount my cab, make my snowblower mod, add my tire chains, fix my clutch mod, and change the tranny oil.

Well, I got the chains on the tractor. I then went to drain the oil out of the tranny and found this...

100_0154.jpg

I knew that wasn't a good sign so off comes the tranny.

100_0153.jpg

100_0155.jpg

After fighting with that hub for about one hour, I turned the whoel thing over and tried the other hub. Poof, it came off super easy. Then i split the case and found all of the gears in good shape.

100_0160.jpg

I also made sure that the two little balls, spring, and rod are still in the case. The balls came out though but I found them. Its two balls right?

Anyway, the left side 40mm ball bearing was damaged buy what I thing was the aftermath of exploded needle bearing. This is what I think caused the distruction of the 40mm ball bearing. I also was able to get the drive pulley off and saw that the nedlle bearing in there was about to blow up also.

I also have to replace the seal in the axle and in the drive pulley area.

Also, since the whole thing was apart, I decided to do some painting..

100_0158.jpg

100_0159.jpg

100_0161.jpg

Tomorrow, I will try to repaint my rims, work on my snowblower mods, and then work on the clutch engading lever and if I have time, work on the cab.

Sunday I didn't have plans to work much if at all on the blower, so who knows..

Anyone know how much about will it take to gets new parts for my tranny?

sgtsampay

Also, here is the blower in stock config:

100_0152.jpg

And here is my neightbor's rig that I can use if we get snow and I don't feel like using the walkbehind...

100_0156.jpg

btrrg1969

Too bad about your transmission,looks like you caught it before it got really bad

Redbirdman

Holy Crap!...........you did all that on Christmas eve???

WOW.........The entire day all I did was switch a key fob, take a couple photos and drink damn near a whole bottle of Egg Nog and RUM......Egg Nog is like drinking pancake mix so it needs a lot of RUM!

Well, merry Christmas anyhow......I know the feeling of 'home alone on Christmas'

TG ya got a 'Horse' for company sgt :ychain:

ED

xmas021.jpg

rickv1957

Looks like your making great head way there!!!!

sgtsampay

Thanks guys! I really have to thank duwane in New York for giving me a good deal on the Gt 1600. Overall, its just needed some tlc after being left alone for a lone time.. I loved how I got a new gas line/ gas fuel shutoff valve and cleaned the tank, I was able to start the engine and it came right to life with no smoke or any issues. Its also is making 78lbs in both cylinders and runs on both. I past the unplug spark plug test! .

I lvoe this tractor as its a huge upgrade fro my old 211-5.

Once my tranny and the rest of the upgrades are complete, it will be alsome!

Shuboxlover

WOW.....You did more today than I could dream of doing in a week....Good job :ychain:

Need a spare tranny? :D :D

rwilson

good goin today. I have never got that much done in one day. Keep up on the pics also! Merry Christmas

Operator

You're not alone, you have all of us! :ychain:

At least you kept busy huh? Warm shop and Horses - priceless. [and eggnog]

Randy

can whlvr

if u go to the toro parts site which i think u can find here,the adress i mean,it gives thte breakdown in picture form and the prices,i know some people go to bearing shops and u can save some money but u need to have a good bearing for them to measure,i used oem from the dealer,irecomend do all the bearings while its apart so it wont happen again,its worth it no matter which way u do it because it will last for many years to come,i also bought a used rear end once for 75 and just swapped it over and rebuilt the original at my time when i found time

JMW

You could always swap the tranny from the raider you got from me for now.At least you would be up and running for the weather.

jasoncracer

getting alot done on christmas nice work!

Don1977

Your home alone and the Grinch got your transmission. Hope thing look up for the New Year. :ychain:

mr.pipes

Its also is making 78lbs in both cylinders and runs on both. I past the unplug spark plug test! .

Could you explain what spark plug test you are referring to? :ychain: I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about and like to learn new tricks or tips. Learning is fun!

baerpath

Didn't know what shape the trans was in. Sorry, hard to tell unless you use them

Should have loaded the 1100 up too might have been a real tight fit then but that one I know has a good rear

Duane

TT

Could you explain what spark plug test you are referring to?

"Back in the day", (before electronics and million-volt ignitions) multi-cylinder engine condition could be checked by pulling a spark plug wire off while the engine is running (only one at a time - use insulated pliers or heavy gloves) and listening to the reaction.

If the cylinder was firing correctly and the valves & rings are in good condition (compression), the engine will "haul down" and/or stall - especially in the case of two cylinder engines. The reaction isn't as noticeable on engines with more than two cylinders, but you should still hear a difference.

hm12460

sgtsampay, i feel for ya bud! Winter time isn't the best for a guy to run into something like that. I've been home alone too and i spent my day on e-bay, here, and WFM.

sorekiwi

There is a sticky thread in the transmission section listing all the part #'s for the bearings. All the needle rollers are Torringtons, the full set was about $80 from Motion Industries last time I did one.

The ball bearing on the sides of the diff are oem only and around $60 apiece

sgtsampay

Wow, thanks guys for everything. :D

duwan, I would have gotten another tractor, but i didn't have the money.. LOL

A full set of all of the bearings is $80? Hmm. I have a bearing place near by, i will hopefully get somewhere there.

I really think the bearing in the tranny are fine and I really don't have to much more to spend on it but if the whole set of bearing is $80 then.. Hmm..

Jim, I was going to do that but I do have my walk behind snowblower to use and I would really like to work on the raider becoming my snowplow tractor. Once i get a new head gasket/carb clean it should run fine. I found out why it had no compression because the head gasket was blown.. LOL..

I will be posting everything I did today and I did take pictures. :ychain:

sgtsampay

Ok, so here is what I was able to get done today:

I first primed the rims:

100_0162.jpg

A little later i primed them again...

100_0167.jpg

Then I put the final coat on:

100_0185.jpg

I then tried to put some more tension on my other wheel hub but after much time lost and a broken socket later, I give up..

100_0164.jpg

Here is the clutch mod I had to do. I had to make the piece that swivaled. I made another one but it to small and didn't give enough through, so here is the redone one:

100_0171.jpg

Also, here is my mod to replace the rubber bushing the bolt here goes in. (I did this mod a few days ago..) I stuffed a nut in there by heating it up and then drilling the threads up. It works great! No wiggle now!

100_0176.jpg

Here is anotehr mod i did to my engading lever. I got a spacer wilded in it so it can have more stength. I then today had to use a grinder to cut it a little to make it fully engage: Here is what it looks like not on.

100_0176.jpg

And with the lever on:

100_0178.jpg

It jsut clears the top metal panel. :ychain:

I then painted up my little improved spool that i got welded up. I then drill holes in it to put some set screws in and then a bolt in it to clam the cable down.

Here is what mine looks like right now:

100_0183.jpg

Here is what it will look like on the machine once I'm done. I copied this design from my neightbor:

100_0184.jpg

I then worked on this project:

100_0151.jpg

Then it now looks like this:

100_0186.jpg

100_0192.jpg

Here is my final thing I did today:

I worked on my snowblower mods: First was the simple chute and then the impeller mod.

100_0163.jpg

100_0168.jpg

100_0187.jpg

100_0190.jpg

This was to help fill in the gap of the auger and the housing, shown here:

100_0188.jpg

And finally, here is what my nieghbor worked on the whole day while I was busy with the other stuff:

100_0180.jpg

100_0181.jpg

100_0182.jpg

sgtsampay

Also, the spark plug test I did was to pull one plug wire out at a time to see if it would run on one cylinder at a time. And it did slow down and then had the govenor kick on and made the engine stay up to speed. This tells me that both cylinders are working and the govenor is also working or at lest to a point. :ychain:

Duff

Really nice work there, Bobby, but tell me - have you slept in the past 24 hours?????

Duff :ychain:

JMW

Good to see you got some new "glass" for the cab. Have you fired up the 16 briggs yet?

sgtsampay

Duff, oh yeah I have. I only have been working from 9am to about 3-4pm. Yesterday i had no lunch and today I had one 20min break. :D

JMW. Thx. The cab I can't wait to get it on the tractor. Also, I haven't even touched that motor cept for taking the fuel pump off and putting it on the Gt. LOL.. Sry, but I will wait to work on that motor come summer or psring. I'm hopign to get the raider's motor to run and I will jsut use that. :ychain:

Also, everyone. We are expecting to get 14-16in by Monday night and I have no horse to use. LOL. Kidna silly but I will jsut use my nice walk behind liek I have been for the last 3 years. LOL.

Duff

Also, everyone. We are expecting to get 14-16in by Monday night and I have no horse to use.

Yeah, the NWS just posted a blizzard watch for those of us here on the VT/NH border, with winds over 40mph. You're closer to the coast, so I shudder to think what your facing. :D I just went downstairs and checked our generator.....

Duff :ychain: