Sign in to follow this  
wallfish

M18 quit running

wallfish

The Kohler M18 in my 418-C quit running the other day and it sounded like it lost one of the cylinders when it was shutting down. When I tried to start it again and cranked it for a while, I noticed fuel was dripping from the muffler and the filter was almost full. I disconnected the fuel line and was able to get the motor started but if I connect the fuel line back up it just kills it rather quickly. I took the carb off and the float and needle valve seem to be working if I blow into the fuel input. I did order a new rebuild kit for the carb but I was wondering if there could be any other causes for the flooding condition.

This tractor has run and started flawlessly all summer but hasn

MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

Sure sounds like a bad float (float fills with fuel and does not allow needle valve to close - fuel runs out of float when you take it apart and will seem to work fine by hand) / needle valve and or needle valve seat problem. Whatever the case, once fixed make sure the crankcase has not been contaminated by the excessive fuel. Good Luck. :ychain:

Kelly

I would start with the carb rebuild, check the float by shaking it to see if it has fuel in it, and yes be sure to change the oil.

rickv1957

My C195 done the same thing,hole in float!

wallfish

Thanks guys

The float is the plastic type and absolutely no fuel inside of it. That was my initial thought as well. I gave it a good shake as soon as I took the carb off so I doubt it could have drained that quick. Something must have got into the valve.

Is it possible for the pump to malfunction and cause enough pressure to push open the valve?

MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

Is it possible for the pump to malfunction and cause enough pressure to push open the valve?

I wouldn't think so. When you had the float out, did you install it correctly? Was there a tab or something that controls how far the float rises? ... needle valve upside down? operator error? .. does not compute, does not compute. reboot reboot reeboot..................................................

wallfish

The problem happened before I pulled the carb and float.

The molded plastic float can only go on one way. We'll see what happens after the carb rebuild.

puddlejumper

Check the atmospheric vent, I am assuming its a carter carb if so the vent is opposite the float valve on the bottom of the carb and vents to the front top of the inside the carb. If clogged causes a high pressure situation in the float bowl which in turn takes bouyancy away from float.

wallfish

Thanks Mitch, you just jogged my memory of your thread on a similar issue. It's a Walbro carb but it should still have a vent. A clogged vent seems more likely to be the problem.

zieg72

Check compression... If you lost one cylinder you will get that flooding condition, been there done that... Costly mistake but that is another story.

puddlejumper

Any luck :ychain:

wallfish

The local guy didn't have the rebuild kit so I had to order one. Just waiting for it to get here.

wallfish

Update:

Originally ordered the wrong kit and finally got the right one. Not much of a kit for the Walbro, gaskets, 3 plugs and a needle valve.

Gave the carb a really good ****** and put it all back together, changed the oil which did have fuel in it and she fired right up. I believe the vent was clogged.

All ready for the snow we are supposed to get Friday.