Sign in to follow this  
farmboy73

weight placement and why?

farmboy73

Hello fellow wheelhorse owners, I am new to the game as our 4-H group has just started a lawnmower pulling club this passing year. Our first year was great and me and my brother both shared our c-120 loved it we did great even with the turf tires, now its alittle more serious :hide: My question is why do I most often see people putting wieght just in front of the rear tires?? :D. it makes more sense to us to have it further to the back preferable behind the rear tires. Is there any advantage? If anyone is able to help me out that would be great :D I also plan on eventually putting on our three wheelhorse pullers that we have gained the past few years. for the record we have 2 b-100's and c-120 and just to show that the wheelhorse community is growing I am from ONT, CANADA :ychain: lol hope you can help. - justin-

rmaynard

:D Glad to have you aboard. I don't have the answer to your question, as I don't pull, but I am sure that answers will follow. My guess is that you need the weight in the front to keep the front on the ground for steering. :ychain:

Bob

btrrg1969

:ychain:

chris11

When you put the weight in front of the rear wheels. It loads the rear tires because of the pivot point.It has to lift the weights as you go.If they are behind the rear wheels your just helping the tractor come off the ground in the front your not lifting the weight. You want to put the power to the rear so they dont spin.

jhunsch

You might watch a few u-tube videos to get more ideas on weight placement.

I have only be involved in the pulling tractors for a short year

Deere Hunter

Where you place the weight will depend on a few things, the tractor, track condition and the sled you are pulling. My advice is to keep a notebook with you at the track. Take notes of track condition, where you are putting your weight and how much weight. Tire pressure, what gear you use, etc. If you do this at every pull and review these notes you will figure out the setup your tractor likes. Every tractor setup is different. If you watch what everyone else is doing you might get lucky every now and then, but if you do your own thing and follow your notes you will have a better chance that they will be chasing you. Just make sure you make your weight adjustable. Dont be afraid to build a weight box under the trans, the lower the center of gravity under the axle is where you want it on a dry hard track. In this position it does not throw the tractor off balance as much when the front end does decide to come up.

baerpath

As you can see people have different ideas of weight placement. These are my thoughts for use with a transfer sled.

To me there are only two places to add weight. Under the frame at the pivit point of the tractor infront of the tires and as far out front as rules allow to balance the load on the rear from the sled.

I personnally would never load my tires, the idea is to be able to adjust the weight for track conditions . Your stuck with static (non movable) weight We run aluminum rims to make the tires as light as possible and to move as much weight as we can. We pull lightest class at 850lb and heaviest was 1100.

A smaller engined puller set up with better balance can and will beat larger hp

Balance is - weight placement, tire preassure,hook height,and a driver that can use themselves as movable weight and SEE the track not just look at it

A lot depends on the sled, is it a dead sled or transfer, how long is the chain and how much does it weigh.

Duane

wheelhorse656

:ychain: im with chris11 on this one! :D

rickv1957