Sign in to follow this  
MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

Bought A 520H

Sparky

Time will tell if you paid to much. If your still workin this 520 fifteen years from now you did all right at $100/year. Dont count maintainance costs as we all have that. Heck theres maintainance do be preformed on new tractors.

So the longer it lasts the better the deal you got.

Mike.......

Sparky

OK, Mike....

"The 520 was bought for working it. "

Does he mean he got it for free, or am I just plain brain-dead tonight? :D

Duff :ychain:

Duff buddy. Go up like 5 posts. He paid $1550.

Mike........

Duff

Whew! Now I KNOW I'm losing my mind - not only couldn't I decipher the price, but a post I thought I saw a couple minutes ago has disappeared. :D

Maybe time to sign off and go to bed. :D

Duff :ychain:

....and reappeared in a different place? :hide:

Kelly

Well I will say it was not a killer deal, but not real bad if you keep it and use it, all the things you say are wrong with it can be fixed, take care of the Onan, that will be the big thing, the hours are low, so if maintained it should last years.

WheelHorse_of_course

Don't go replacing the solenoid till you have charged the battery and cleaned the connections at the ignition switch and solenoid (and any safety switches in that loop, if any).

I could never afford such a beast, but surely you got a deal if you paid less than $1000.

I don't much care about other than functionality, but with a machine this young even I would be tempted to do a partial restoration to make her pretty.

Have fun,

:D :ychain:

jtmoyer

Don't go replacing the solenoid till you have charged the battery and cleaned the connections at the ignition switch and solenoid (and any safety switches in that loop, if any).

i agree.... one of my 520 will cut out if you pull back on the pto handle. it trips one of the safety switches (it took some time to figure out.) if i leave it at an idle with out the pto on the lever will vibrate back an kill the motor.

bobert94

I love my 520 my only complaint is the hydro in the winter.having to let it warm up before the hwd lift will work is a pain in the a$$.Have had other wh hydro and dont recall them doing it as bad as the 520. :ychain:

Kelly

Yes that can be a pain in the butt, having to wait and wait till the hydro warms up, one of mine will move long before the lift will work, but think of it this way, your letting the engine warm up nicly before working it also. and that is a good thing with a Onan.

zieg72

I love my 520 my only complaint is the hydro in the winter.having to let it warm up before the hwd lift will work is a pain in the a$$.Have had other wh hydro and dont recall them doing it as bad as the 520. :ychain:

I didn't like mine for that either however after the alternative I chose the 520H wins. Don't get me wrong the 417-8 does just great, I just have to go slower because the electric lift is slow and changing gears takes time.

rickv1957

Looks like a good worker there!!!

MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

Yes that can be a pain in the butt, having to wait and wait till the hydro warms up, one of mine will move long before the lift will work, but think of it this way, your letting the engine warm up nicly before working it also. and that is a good thing with a Onan.

Well, that's one thing I CAN'T complain about (amazing ain't it?) Even in the cold, as soon as the tractor fires up the plow lift works just fine.

Rollerman

I've had 3 now & they do bring in a high resale value.

If the hours are accurate & your hydro is strong I don't think you did bad considering the implement package that came with it.

It's already been said here in previous posts, the Onan can really put out some power....& they can really empty the fuel tank like no other Horse.

zieg72

I've had 3 now & they do bring in a high resale value.

If the hours are accurate & your hydro is strong I don't think you did bad considering the implement package that came with it.

It's already been said here in previous posts, the Onan can really put out some power....& they can really empty the fuel tank like no other Horse.

Yes on the resale value. I have a 1996 269H which is a toy compared and it isn't worth much even though it just passed the 500 hour mark. I just consider that it is going to last a good while longer and the depreciation has long since hit bottom and everything since is free. Still runs and cuts grass like new... I would look at it this way... That tractor new, with all the implements probably ran well over $8K back in the day, 400 hours is nothing for these machines. Making them pretty just takes mostly time. Enjoy your purchase and we are all here to lend a helping hand for advise, Merry Christmas...

KC9KAS

Well, you obviously thought it was worth $1550 or you wouldn't have bought it!

Some guys feel it should have cost less, and I'm sure someone would have paid more....if they wanted this tractor and had the $$...

I'm happy for you!

MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

Some guys feel it should have cost less, and I'm sure someone would have paid more....if they wanted this tractor and had the $$...

I'm happy for you!

Thanks, I think I just wanted to know I did ok. Searching for one is part of the fun. I love to fix things as well so when the weather breaks and I can get into it, I may not ever be able to make it a barn queen but I'm sure I can improve it from what it is now.

dgoyette

Assuming it keeps running strong I think you did ok.

hm12460

Doesn't matter what we think it's worth, or if you paid too much or too little. You're the one that you have to satisfy. If you're happy with the deal you made, thats all that matters.

Bow_Extreme

I'll bet it has a fuse block problem or safety switch problem. The first maintenance items that should be checked on a 520H are the fuse block terminals and safety switches. I would clip out the fuse block and solder in automotive sealed fuse blocks. Next I would remove each safety switch connector, clean the terminals, pack the connectors full of di-electric grease, and reconnect. If the battery looks remotely old, throw in a new one and new battery cables if needed. This may help solve your gauge problems as well but not guaranteed. Good luck and there are many of us on this site that are very knowledgeable on the 520H.

MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

I'll bet it has a fuse block problem or safety switch problem. The first maintenance items that should be checked on a 520H are the fuse block terminals and safety switches. I would clip out the fuse block and solder in automotive sealed fuse blocks. Next I would remove each safety switch connector, clean the terminals, pack the connectors full of di-electric grease, and reconnect. If the battery looks remotely old, throw in a new one and new battery cables if needed. This may help solve your gauge problems as well but not guaranteed. Good luck and there are many of us on this site that are very knowledgeable on the 520H.

Yes, it certainly acts like a safety switch problem. It started several times for me with no issues. I made 1 pass down the driveway, it stalled and that was it. I tried a jump box, tapping on the starter and checked all the fuses. In the many times I tried it, I got 1 click from the starter. If there was a switch under the seat, its not there now. I also moved the pto lever back and forth several times and that switch seems fine. If I jump the starter with a screwdriver, it fires right up. This is as far as I've gotten. I needed to get the driveway done and just covered the 520 up and used the old 105 to finish the job.

There has been no comment on the video. If anyone can, please tell me if it works for you and let me know what you think. It runs and sounds great... once you get it fired up. :ychain:

kpinnc

One of the easiest things to replace is the actual key switch. The one on my 518-H, which uses pretty much the same wiring harness, was bad when I got it. The only thing that worked with the key switched on was the hour meter. If I shorted across the solenoid, it fired right up and ran fine.

Good luck! :ychain:

can whlvr

it also matters where u live,up here in ontario wheelhorses arnt as plentiful as some places,so prices go with supply and demand,i dont think you paid too much if the motor and tranny are strong,as has been said 400 hours is barly used,if thats the real #

mr.pipes

Someone has painted the hood, rust, dirt, decals and all. All side panels tunnel plates and rear fenders are repainted, stickers and all. there is over spray on the back of wheels bottom of engine and several other places.

When reading the description I seriously thought someone may have stolen my 520 and replaced the K161 with an original engine. Then I read over-spray, mine was done with a brush so I knew she was safe.

As far as a deal, if you maintain it well and keep it a long time you will make out fine. Look into what others have done to keep their Onans problem free.

MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

As far as a deal, if you maintain it well and keep it a long time you will make out fine. Look into what others have done to keep their Onans problem free.

Thanks, I'm already thinking about venting the belt guard for better air flow. Do you think adding an air scoop on the vent is overkill? :ychain:

Operator

I wouldn't put scoop on it but I would put a grate/screen over it to keep fingers and sticks out. Main thnig to do is keep them clean, I use air and blow everything out after mowing.

Seat switch can be a little button on the seat pan or in the seat itself, look for wires you'll have wires for tailight, fuel gauge, and the safety switch. You could pull the seat pan off 8 bolts to make a good inspection.

My sons 520 had the same kind of problem we had to bypass the pto switch. As soon as he put pto in gear it would die off.

Randy

boovuc

You did fine. Just iron out the issues. With your implements and an intact 520H, you'll get your monies worth from it.

To help you keep it in perspective:

Below is what you "can" get for free! (Organic vapor mask and cartridges are extra)!

5289991829_3a8d670423.jpg

Merry Christmas!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA