Sign in to follow this  
MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

Bought A 520H

MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

I know the knee jerk reaction is "Hell yes, you should be happy!" but let me tell you a little about it 1st.

Before I go to see it the seller tells me the tractor has some cosmetic issues, i.e. a cruddy paint job. He also says the tractor has 408 original hours on it. Knowing I can always repaint something but that I can't un-use a thing, I go to look at it. The seller is the 2nd owner and tells me that the original owner left the tractor sit outside under a tarp for a long time. The seller mentions that a bad paint job makes no difference to him as it does not affect the way the tractor performs. He also mentions later in the course of the conversation that the non-working headlights and tail lights didn't matter to him as he didn't use it at night. The torn seat didn't matter to him as... are we getting the picture?

So I decide I better give this thing a good look over. Someone has painted the hood, rust, dirt, decals and all. All side panels tunnel plates and rear fenders are repainted, stickers and all. there is over spray on the back of wheels bottom of engine and several other places. I check out the engine and there are no leaks / steering seems pretty tight / rear end is dry and is full of very clean looking fluid. Engine is full of oil but in need of a change. Battery is newer and it and surrounding area are clean and free of corrosion. Belts and tires look good. I see a few wires disconnected by the instrument panel (lights?) and 2 maybe 3 wires are cut at connection blocks and have been bypassed to the other side of the connection block.

I start it up and it seems to start easily and run great with no smoke or vibrations. I notice most of the gauges are not working when I asked about this I'm told that those didn't matter to him as the tractor runs great and... blah blah blah (see 1st paragraph. Drove it around, up and down hills and the only other thing I notice is the lever that controls the hydro seems to fall back towards neutral when going forward unless you keep a finger on it, reverse is fine. We make a deal and he delivers it to me the next day. I started the tractor about 5 times and it died on me at the bottom of my very steep driveway and would not turn over. I had to take my C-105 down and pull the 520 back up the hill. It seems the soleniod is bad as it will now only turn over if you jump the starter.

I got the 520H with 408 hours on it, a super nice 48 inch mower deck, a snow plow, a rototiller, extra wheels with AG tires, tire chains, two extra hubs and two sets of bet tensioners for the rototiller. Help me out here... what would you think is good deal on this? Will try to include pictures and a short video of it running.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k535/r...50/aug28001.jpg

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k535/r...50/aug28008.jpg

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k535/r...50/aug28003.jpg

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k535/r...50/aug28007.jpg

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k535/r...50/aug28008.jpg

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k535/ronsag50/wh520.mp4

nylyon

*Click Free*

aug28001.jpg

aug28008.jpg

aug28003.jpg

aug28007.jpg

aug28008.jpg

Kelly

Well around here it probably is a $1000 package give or take, if it looked beter probably a bit more.

KC9KAS

I would think that the problem of not starting due to the solenoid can easily be fixed, as well as the Forward/Reverse control. The paint job too can be fixed.

Personally I couldn't pay $1000 for it, but I am not saying it isn't worth that, as you did get several decent looking (working?) attachments.

I think if you give it some TLC, it will be just fine!

Kelly

I didn't say I would pay that for it, but well worth it, if you break it down and part it out it's worth more than that.

TT

Help me out here... what would you think is good deal on this?

Isn't it too late for that kind of a quiz? :ychain:

You already bought it, so just tell us what you paid for it - then we can either congratulate you ~ or make fun of you. :D

Get the bugs worked out and it'll be fine. :D

I'll bet you'll find wiring harness connection/corrosion issues instead of a bad solenoid though.

• Haha 1

zieg72

All I can say is once you have had one you won't go back, if you have a really good one... Wish I had 2 more now that I know... Sold one I shouldn't of. Looking for one with a blown motor. Electrical is easy enough once you get into it. Mine was hacked when I got it, fuse box was gone and inline fuses were wired in, tach didn't and still don't work and my electric system was overcharging and cooked the battery dry. After having others 416H, 417-8, C-165 nothing compares to the 520H in my opinion for ride, noise level and ease of steering. I put a foot control for the hydro speed and every tractor I have tried since don't hold a candle to it. Work through the bugs, make it pretty and you will love it. Keep the engine clean of debris and the oil changed every 25 hours and it will last you a good long time...

TT

Make sure you live close to a gas station too.........

Compared to your C-105, the 520 will probably make you think someone is stealing the gas right out of the tank! :ychain:

Kelly

Yes 520's drink lots of gas, but the power and smooth operation are just so cool.

dgjks6

Remember just an opinion.

Plow and tires - $200

Rototiller - $200

tractor - $400

and here's the funny part: deck $400

If the decks in good shape - meaning ready to go and mow, its level, no rust, etc. then $400.

So grand total - $1200 - and I think this is fair price for both parties.

That tractor - at any price is just the beginning of time and money to get it perfect.

On the other hand, if you mow on level surfaces during the day and never get it wet while driving one handed then you don't have to do a thing to it. :ychain:

wh79d160

Rick would sell it to me for $1850.00, just because I'm a nice guy. :ychain:

zieg72

Compared to your C-105, the 520 will probably make you think someone is stealing the gas right out of the tank! :ychain:

Yes I would agree on the gas consumption but oddly enough if you fill up a 5 gallon can 1/2 with 87 octane and 1/2 with the premium you will use about 25% less gas and it will run and sound much better. Have tried straight mid grade with very little effect over straight 87 octane. Same grass, same times cutting, yes I used a stop watch... And I went back to straight 87 octane to see if it was a fluke.... This blend works for me, uses just a little more than my Kohler 19hp in my 269H. Never had a single cylinder to spoil me I guess, that is my story and I am sticking to it....

sorekiwi

Never had a single cylinder to spoil me I guess, that is my story and I am sticking to it....

Didnt you put a 16 hp single into a 520 Carl?

farmer

I run a 518 but i dont cut the grass with it,

not with petrol @ $7.7

Rex :ychain:

zieg72

Never had a single cylinder to spoil me I guess, that is my story and I am sticking to it....

Yes I did but never had it long enough to work it. Operator now has it. I would like to make another if I run across another 520H with a bad engine worthy of a transplant. That was a great runner, just wished I would have at least tossed a deck under it and mowed the yard at least once...

Kelly

So what did you pay :ychain:

boovuc

Yea! A price please, :D oh and.......isn't that muffler suppose to have a more rounded exhaust? :D

:ychain: Also going back to the Farmer.......WHAT! :hide: We have no idea how cheap our gas is compared to Europe! If it gets that high in the states, I'm going Amish on you! Get the reel mowers out and sorry for the rant!

Operator

Yes I did but never had it long enough to work it. Operator now has it. I would like to make another if I run across another 520H with a bad engine worthy of a transplant. That was a great runner, just wished I would have at least tossed a deck under it and mowed the yard at least once...

Yup the 520H/516H lives here now :ychain: . I have the snowblower on it this winter and it works great! Yesterday I was cleaning up snow I shoveled off roof, yoou know that gets heavy on the ground. I was blowing away and that governor throttles up and it just makes my day. Ags all the way around, my tiller, broom, blower tractor. Thanks Carl! I would like to put the 8 spd in but it is too busy!

Randy

It is my avatar

MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

I dunno... as I pulled the 520 up the driveway I'm pretty sure it was getting much better MPG than the 105 :D

MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

So what did you pay B)

Not thru all the responses yet but now that my parade has most certanly been rained on I can tell you. $1,550 :ychain::D:D:hide: :D

MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

Yea! A price please, :ychain: oh and.......isn't that muffler suppose to have a more rounded exhaust? :D

As too the muffler, I never noticed it until after I took the picture. Of course from sitting outside and rusting as much as it has I'm sure I could make it most any shape I wanted with little effort.

Duff

Sooo...spare us further suspense - what DID you pay for it????? :ychain:

Duff :D

MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

I should mention that I had looked for a replacement for my 105 since late summer and have seen them listed for more with no attachments. I figure I can fix everything I don't like about it and I know everyone on the forum will be happy to help me out with priceless information... right?

I know in the spring selection will be greater but prices will surly go up. Perhaps now instead of getting rid of the old c-105 I may just keep it around. The 520 was bought for working it. Anyway, if the 520 gives out at the end of the driveway again, what would I use to pull it back if not the 105?

Shuboxlover

Yea! A price please, :D oh and.......isn't that muffler suppose to have a more rounded exhaust? :D

BOY.....you guys don't miss ANYTHING do you? :ychain:

:hide:

Duff

OK, Mike....

"The 520 was bought for working it. "

Does he mean he got it for free, or am I just plain brain-dead tonight? :D

Duff :ychain: