Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

hour meter

dgjks6

I am rebuilding a c85. It has an hour meter with 3300 hourse on it. I just took of the top of the dash tower and trying to remember the wiring, but all the hour meter has in one wire in a "u" that goes from the top to the bottom of the meter with no other wires connected.

Can this be correct?

DSCF6247-1.jpg

Duff

Others may want to jump in here, but from what I can see, that certainly is not correct - the wire is merely "shorting" the two posts of the hour meter. On my 312's, the hour meter is fed from one side by a hot lead from the ignition switch "on" terminal and the other side goes to ground. The meters seem to work OK. :D

Duff :ychain:

Save Old Iron

Hmmmmmm.

a little "visually" confusing.

The hour meter should be a straight connection to ground from the (-) terminal and the (+) goes to a "hot when running" leg off the ignition switch.

A blowup of your pic ...

hourmeter.jpg

#1 should just be a support bracket - should not need to be grounded but will be if it touches the hood support.

#2 is the meter ground and should go to chassis ground. I can't tell from your picture.

#3 appears to me to be captured under the support bracket stud - and if it is connected to terminal #2 - that is where the meter might be picking up the ground connection. If #2 is wired to #3 - that's ok

#4 - the red terminal - again - visually unclear where it goes or what it is connected to. #4 should be connected to a hot when running terminal of the ignition switch

dgjks6

The picture is confusing and I will try to get a better one, but the blue wire connects #2 to #3, and there is nothing in number 4.

slufoot733

save_old_iron is right on. The two terminals are to power the hour meter. (+) goes directly to a power source which is ON when the key is in the on position. It must not have power when the key is in the off position. (-) goes to ground. The "U" shaped bracket is only to hold the gauge in place and should not be wired to anything.

If the meter is wires backwards (i.e. the polarity is reversed) then the meter will eight run backward or not at all. Be sure you wire it correctly.

Kevin

grnlark

The hour meter should be a straight connection to ground from the (-) terminal and the (+) goes to a "hot when running" leg off the ignition switch.

That's exactly how the hour meter on my Cub is...

TT

The picture is confusing and I will try to get a better one, but the blue wire connects #2 to #3, and there is nothing in number 4.

The #2 to #3 part is correct. The hourmeter grounds through the mounting bracket.

#4 needs to have a "key in the on position" 12VDC power source. (generally the "A" or "L" terminal of the ignition switch)

WheelHorse_of_course

IF (and only if) it has a light, then the light could be fed from the same source as the meter itself. In that case the "input" terminal and the "light" terminal could be jumpered together with the actual input feeding either terminal.

In automative applications generally there would be a light. There would be a feed to the light from the headlamp circuit and the other feed from the ignition switch.

:D :ychain: