Sign in to follow this  
btrrg1969

how good do they work

btrrg1969

I am interested in getting a mid mount grader blade , I think it would be a cool attachment to have . I was wondering though how well they work? I would love some feed back before I go and buy one. :ychain:

rickv1957

The grader blades work excellent in dirt or a gravel drive but not in snow

Kelly

I love my 50" grader, it works wounders on gravel, and I set it up so I have down pressure on my 520, I can lift the front tires about 2" off the ground, Rick is right not so good in snow.

TT

They do work fairly well at scraping hard-pack snow off - like where vehicle tires have packed the snow, etc.

They would do a much better job at scraping if you could lean the top of the blade back to give the cutting edge a more aggressive angle though.

I have been contemplating fabbing up a "toothed" (serrated) cutting edge for my home made grader blade. I can use it to scratch hard-pack and ice loose and then clean it up with the regular dozer blade. (I tried my spike-tooth harrow last winter and it didn't work. :D )

On a related note...... they do work excellent in the spring when you have to push your gravel driveway out of your yard. :ychain:

bell

On a related note...... they do work excellent in the spring when you have to push your gravel driveway out of your yard. :D

:D

As the others said, they do work GREAT on gravel and dirt... Not good at all for snow.

I like the spiked idea TT... Let us know how it works out... :ychain:

Forest Road

I grade over 2500' of gravel driveway. Last year was my first experience w/ my 50" blade. It was the easiest and most efficient method I've used. And now its fun!

I tried it w/ a 48" plow. The plow digs in when you go down hill and then hit level ground. And you don't nearly as much control w/ the plow as you do w/ the grader. I also prefer my manual lift 8 speed vs. the hydro for the grader. I can set the height of the blade and never worry about it w/ the manual.

btrrg1969

Thanks fellers for all the info , now I feel it would be worth it :ychain:

sorekiwi

I have been contemplating fabbing up a "toothed" (serrated) cutting edge for my home made grader blade. I can use it to scratch hard-pack and ice loose and then clean it up with the regular dozer blade. (I tried my spike-tooth harrow last winter and it didn't work. :ychain: )

Glad you posted your harrow(ing!!) experience Terry, I had been wondering if my cultivators loaded up with some weight would break up some of the 2 or so inches of hard packed snow/ice on parts of my driveway.