Sign in to follow this  
laznat

the hunt for a k181

laznat

hello i have tried to question a add for a rough looking block in the wanted section with no input so i will attempt here . I am new to this stuff so i apologize for my ignorance. This is the add sorry for the link http://www.mowergraveyard.com/kohler-k181s...-09-p-2495.html . I am just looking for input as if i should buy this? Sry to back up my k181 had the gov bypassed and through the rod through the side and broke the botom of the sleeve off witch leaves this block bad i assume. thanks for any input.

laznat

also is a johndeere k181 the same ?

rickv1957

Place an add in the wanted section of the classifieds,some one will help you out!! Rick

dgjks6

I am in the process of rebuilding a k181. It gets more expensive than you think. Every piece plus shipping starts to cost.

As far as whether a k181 JD is different, I don't know for sure, but this is what I know:

The bearing plate is different from a wheel horse (trust me)

I am not sure about the PTO of a JD, but the wheel horse has a 1 inch PTO.

What exactly do you need? Just a block? Are you going for a complete rebuild? Can you do any of the machining yourself on the new block if necessary?

laznat

hello dgjks6 my motor was over revved i suspect. It through the rod journal out of the block lol :ychain: i have looked inside the new inspection hole and i can see it did hit the sleeve. i haven't done any more inspection i.e. tear down so i think i need block crank rod piston and gasket kit. I have been looking at the rebuild kits on eBay. and i just saw a k181 short block out of a 64 jd so im looking into that now.

dgjks6

I am by no means an expert, but be ready for some costs. I am in the process of rebuilding mine now. First time for me so take all information at your own risk. I would also plan on being ready to spend at least $200.

First I think the JD block will work, but you will have to transfer all the parts from yours to the new block - such as crank, bearing plate, oil pan, head, carb, etc.

Also - download the manual from the koler site - it goes through the process step by step.

How are you set for tools? I had to buy tools for the job such as ring expanders and compressors and a valve clamp.

I would take the block to a machine shop and have it bored out first so you know what size replacement piston to buy (my guy is charging me about $50 for this)

then you can order a complete rebuild kit with piston and rod - about $80

Somewhere along the line you have to check the valves, cam, and crankshaft.

You may need to get the crank turned and an undersized rod. This is an additional cost.

Do you have much experience doing this. If not I can try to help with the disassembly as I have taken apart a grand total of one engine so far. But the info is still fresh in my mind.

keep us updated here