Sign in to follow this  
littleredrider

Another what's it worth

littleredrider

I went to a local Toro dealer to see if they had or knew where there was any round stuff. He asked what about a whole tractor. At first he thought it was a 653 or 4, but was pretty sure it had a Tecumseh on it.

Went to talk to him again the other day, and said that it's an 8 horse Kohler. It has the round hood that wraps around the gas tank. I think I knew more about these tractors than they did. But anyway, 99.9% sure it's an 854. Gonna try to go look at this weekend.

Current owner has had it for close to 10 years, hasn't done a thing to it. He got it off a lady who bought a house and guess it sat there for who knows how long. I guess other than the tires, it's in good shape. But we all know how that works.

But he said it comes with a cab, snow blower, snow plow, 32 or 36" deck, and a brinley plow. Wants $500 for it.

Friend of mine does business with him, and reassured me that if he says it's in good condition, it probly is. Guess he is a stand up kind of guy.....

I'm thinking $500 for all of it is a good deal. $100 a piece for each implement, and the tractor for free...I'll see if I can get some pics of it tomorrow when I go.

Ken B

There is always going to be someone that is going to say 500 is too much, and there will always be guys that say grab it for 500.00. If its pretty clean and all the attachments look good 500 ain't to shabby. Of course pics would help.

jhunsch

I believe I would jump on that deal with out any second thoughts.

How ever you could offer $400 or $450 and if he says he must have the $500 I WOULD MAKE THE DEAL. Sounds good, pictures would be great.

Jeff

Shuboxlover

:ychain: :D let us know.....sound like a nice package....

CasualObserver

I don't think there's anyone here who would question that price. I wouldn't even try to talk him down. It's a very fair price for that package deal. If you can afford it, say Merry Christmas to yourself and take it home.

rickv1957

Sounds like a good deal!!!,Rick

dandan111

I think it sound like a great deal.I would like to see it. :ychain:

stevasaurus

What...you haven't picked it up yet. :D

Run Forest Run... :ychain:

btrrg1969

sounds like an awsome deal

Coadster32

:ychain: :D

Lawn Ranger kid

Go for it. I would like to see what the cab looks like.

Josh

HankB

It's a terrible deal where did you say it was?

Just Kidding. I think your reasoning on price is sound. If all of the attachments are correct for the tractor - or perhaps even purchased new at the same time - that could be quite a nice little collection.

If you're interested in that at all, you should at least take a look at the stuff. If not, you might do a favor to pass it along to someone who you think would appreciate it.

(And for the record, I have enough projects and round hoods don't particularly interest me.)

-hank

mavfreak

What...you haven't picked it up yet. :D

Run Forest Run... :ychain:

:D

Kelly

This post should say Look at the great deal I just got!!!!

even though it is a good deal, money is hard earned so I would at least ask "what is the least you would take for it??" let him tell you, don't offer to little and not get the deal, if he says $500 so be it, but he might say he will take a few bucks less, you never know till you ask.

Irv

I agree with Kelly. Reminds me of an old story of a friend of mine that went to look at a camper years ago that a guy was asking $1500 for. My friend was going to give him the $1500 and as he was getting the money out asked the guy what the least he would take for it and the guy said $1000 and that's what he gave him. It doesn't hurt to ask.

littleredrider

I told the guy that I'm interested, we both are the same page as come look at it first. I don't think he is in a hurry to sell it, but he realized that he is never gonna get around to fixing it up, so would rather sell it than let it sit.

I'm gonna try to go look at it tomorrow. He gets out of work at noon, and is only up the road. But, the wife wants me to do all this crap tomorrow, and can't tell her that I'm looking at ANOTHER tractor, then the fit would hit the shan!!!!!

I'm gonna try to get off the leash at noon so I can go look at it, and I'll throw the camera in the truck in the morning so I won't forget.

MikesRJ

You're not there yet? :ychain: I'd snap that up in a NY second.

littleredrider

Went to go look at it today. It is indeed an 854. Looks to be all original, was repainted but not terrible. Has the original tires front/rear, back rest on the seat, I think the key switch has been changed, also has solenoid that don't think is original.

Sheet metal looks good. Rear fenders have some extra holes, same goes for the hood. Also split at the seem, but shouldn't be bad to fix.

Starter/generator looks new or rebuilt, also the thing on top, can't think what they are called, regulator??

The snow blower looks good. Plow pivot might be a little worn, don't know much about the other two rear mount plows. Don't really have a use for them, so not sure what I'm gonna do with them.

The cab was in decent shape. Not sure if all the framework is there, won't know till I put it together. The canvas is missing one piece, think it's the side, and maybe the front window. Not seeing one together or parts labeled it's hard to figure out where stuff goes.

I'm gonna get it for sure, just need some time and to get past the holidays. He isn't in a hurry, didn't tell anyone else, so it isn't going anywhere.

I can't post pics here, I'll try to download them to webshots, but wasn't cooperating last time I tried.....

Kelly

I've never seen a cab for a round hood, I can't wait, sounds like a very good deal, glad it will be going to a good home not a scrap pile, like so many have over the years.

HorseFixer

Sounds Like A Good Deal! :ychain:

HankB

don't know much about the other two rear mount plows. Don't really have a use for them, so not sure what I'm gonna do with them.

Sell!

I'm gonna get it for sure, just need some time and to get past the holidays. He isn't in a hurry, didn't tell anyone else, so it isn't going anywhere.

If I was planning on getting them after the holidays and had settled on a price, I'd give him a deposit to hold it. You never know who the seller is going to see over the holidays. Put yourself in their shoes. They have a promise - and not much more - from you. If someone comes along cash in hand, would you pass up the sale? A deposit lets him know you really mean it.

God luck!

-ha

Kelly

Well I can't speak for this guy but I'm a man of my word and if I make a deal it's done, even with a hand shake. unless a bunch of time passes but that is a reasonable thing to expect.

But even with that said I would have gave him $50 to tell him I really want it.

littleredrider

That's a good point on the deposit. I might do that during the week, as sometimes I drive right by his store. I could give him $50-75 a week, more when I sell some stuff.

I got the pics to download to webshots, dunno why it wouldn't work, but did it another way, long as it works. The newest pics are page 3 I think, maybe 4. I took some of my two rangers, one for "B-100 Bob" since he is looking for a ranger....

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/577902523PdPLZF

Kelly

Yup I'd be all over that, I know pictures can and do most times make things look better than they really are, but I'd say with all the extras it's a good deal and a nice looking tractor

littleredrider

I'm pretty excited bout the whole deal. I really want to do a full restore on one, not just painting the hood or wheels or something. But like what is the pic gallery, something to look at and say that looks sweet. AND have it original. (Except for some fat 23x10.5 ags, I like the fat tire look!!)

There is a company near me that makes tents and stuff, gonna see if maybe they can make some of the pieces that I need or maybe the whole cab, depending on price. It doesn't look that complicated, but I'm sure there is much more involved.