Sign in to follow this  
Woodsman

Stiff Shifing Auto

Woodsman

This is my first visit to the tranny page so please bear with me.

I just got my C-160 running for the first time after rebulding the carb. Hopped on to take it for a spin and the shifter doesn't want to move forward or backward without great effort, then it's just as hard to pull the lever back. I thought I was goning to go through the garage door at one point.

I know nothing about these trannys but have a feeling I'm about to learn - hopefully with some help from you fellas.

I should add that this is a 2nd machine that I have never driven or had running until today.

Kelly

Did it set outside unused for a time?? the linkage may need some oil, pull the console cover so you can see all the moving parts make sure nothing is broken, it's probably just rust.

rickv1957

A good cleaning and some lube should help, :ychain: Rick

WheelHorse_of_course

If it is a Sunstrand system there is a friction adjust covered in the manual.

Good luck, and have fun!

:D :ychain:

Woodsman

Thanks for the input. The machine has been sitting outside for a year. I'm hoping a good cleaning will do the trick. I'll be working on it tomorrow and will post an update.

Woodsman

You guys were on the money. There was a big mouse nest in there, as well as gome gunk and rust. A good cleaning and she's ready to go. The nut on the friction rod had spun off as well and I snugged it up.