Sign in to follow this  
VinsRJ

Another Hobbie of Mine

VinsRJ

Not only do I drive my wife nuts with RJs but I also push my luck with mini bikes. :D

This is my winter project, a 1966-67ish Ruttman Toad Washer Frame. As you can see I am mocking up a Clinton 1200. Not the first motor you would think of for a mini bike project but, I've got a number of them and a ton of parts.

The Clinton on the frame in the pic is just a mock up engine. The freshly machined and painted block is the motor going on the bike. You may recall... or not.... I repaired a 1200 block which had a hole blown through the side of it when the rod decided to see sunlight. Well the machined/painted block is that motor. And yes the "S" style intake and the Schnacke on the mock up engine will be used on this project.

Color combo will be :D red and white.

I also have a set of 6" aluminum four spoke Ruttman wheels as well as an original Ruttman seat. The 4" steelies in the pic are the original style that should be on this bike. :ychain:

I luv old junk! :hide:

5266424505_2e9f34fcbb_b.jpg

5266424811_bf85e34b50_b.jpg

Horse'n Around

Thanks for posting this. I love minibikes. I am looking forward to getting to work on my Rupp Roadster.Please keep posting your progress :ychain:

John

stevebo

My brother has "our" childhood minibike in his basement. It is a 1974/5 Honda Elsinore MR50. We beat that hell out of that bike !!

Raider

Neat little machine, minibikes are cool and getting valuable. Gonna put an ag tire on the back and a tri-rib on the front as long as it's getting WH paint??? :ychain:

Ken B

I'm a multi hobbyist myself Vin. I'm also into Old Rupp mini bikes and old vintage carts, not too mention vintage boats and Antique outboards. My wife puts up with alot and doesn't complain too much. I'm sometimes reminded how every room of the house has something of mine in it. I have stuff everywhere but its all neat and some of it is well hidden! She don't even know whats in the shed, yet. Here is an old cart I brought back from the dead this past summer for my son Cole. It flies (It does 30 with my 200 on it) Cole handles it like a pro.

drawingbyjesse446.jpg

rickv1957

Like them little ol scoots myself!! Rick

Horse'n Around

A friend of mine Randall is retired and he basicly has a dirt bike salvage yard at his house and among other goodies he has a complete but rough MR 50 that I have been thinking about but I always talk myself out of buying it because I dont want to get too many projects at once.My priority is my Wheel Horses and Ill never get anything done if I buy too many things (Wheel Horses are and will continue to be exempt from this line of thinking) Also its more to move when the time comes.

John

Coadster32

I had a Rupp Roadster myself a few years back. Got it for $50 not running. Got her running good, and sold it for $350. (Got me a WH after that). I got into it for my nephew, but he wasn't that interested. Prob should have kept it, as it was running really good. :ychain: That will look cool with a clinton on it. :D

dclarke

I had a mini bike when i was a kid, sure wish i still had it. That will be nice when you get it done Vince. Keep posting pics as you make progress on it. :ychain:

Rollerman

You know my parents nextdoor neighbor when I was a kid used to be a Rupp dealer.

I can remember his kids (older) rideing the mini bikes & even snowmobiles around his yard.

I was to young to get in on the fun, but did by a mini bike sometime later.

All I remember is it had a friction brake that rubbed the back tire.

When the grass was wet...anyone who road it would almost always go flying through the pine trees that bordered my parents yard.

Good memories.... :ychain:

By the way very cool mini bike Vince :D

Ken B

Hey Vin, are you going to paint it all red and put a Wheel Horse decal on it any try to sneak it into the Big show in 2011 as a one off? It might work! :ychain:

VinsRJ

Thanks for the comments.

Rupps IMO are the most collectable mini. Seems like everyone had one or knew someone with one. I like them but, never really got into them. I think it was the whole slanted Tech motor thing, it just looked wierd to me back in the day and even to this day.

This early model Ruttman was originally chromed, I mean everything.... frame, fork, fenders, hardware. They looked insane. But with the way re-chroming prices are its not really in the cards to have it all redone. I'd end up spending a small fortune and the chromers around my area are not eye to eye with my standards. I want mint smooth polished chrome..... a tuff concept for these guys to grasp. Especially when they want BIG $$$s. So now I don't know if I should have it dipped and stripped or should I blast it. Ultimantly its going to get powder coated.

Ken..... with the way the Big Show is, I shouldn't even enter PA with it. :D

Change as of 3:52PM Friday, one of my painter freinds has talked me into painting the frame and fork "Plum Crazy Purple" with the red Clinton and glass beaded aluminum Ruttman rims..... I guess we base/clear it now. :ychain:

daemon2525

Ken,

Ya might wanna have a talk with the kid. It looks like his right foot is mashed to the floor and the front wheels are not touching the ground!! LOL

VinsRJ

right foot is mashed to the floor and the front wheels are not touching the ground!! LOL

Just the way we like it!

Ken B

Ken,

Ya might wanna have a talk with the kid. It looks like his right foot is mashed to the floor and the front wheels are not touching the ground!! LOL

Thats ma boy! He has only two speeds. Fast and wicked fast!

KC9KAS

Glad to see Cole with a Skid-Lid on his head!

jimbotelho

Like them little ol scoots myself!! Rick

rick im glad to see your back on jm

horsefeathers

Vince, Cool project! I love minibikes! Had a MTD w/ 5hp Tucky as a kid!

About 16 years ago my son then 8yo I got back into minibikes!

Buddy gave me a Rupp Scrambler I restored ...had to force the kid to ride it!

One trip around the block and he was grinin' !

The best mini I had was an Artic cat w/Sachs engine! Man i wish I had that one back!!!!

I'am sure you've seen my chopper minibike This is one of my favorite hobbies!

Keep us updated on the project!

:ychain: HORSEFEATHERS!

HorseFixer

Vinny that does bring back some memories! :D:D Yikes that one has FRED FLINTSTONE style brakes! :hide: Ive went through lots of tennis shoes back in the day! :ychain: