Sign in to follow this  
Irv

No 1st or reverse

Irv

Hey Guys, was out blowing snow this am with the 314-8 and suddenly no 1st or reverse. 2nd and 3rd are ok. Shifter just flops around between 1st and rev, I'm guessing something came apart (shifter fork?) I've never messed in a tranny before so any help is appreciated. thanks :ychain:

kpinnc

Probably the roll pin in the fork that attaches it to the rail has sheared. Easy fix, but you will have to open the tranny up to get to it.

Good luck!

stevasaurus

Irv...here is a very good thread for what we think you have wrong.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=19680

In the 3rd picture and a few others after that...you can see the roll pin in the shift fork. The fork on the right is the one that may be broke. After you drain and pull the trans, don't forget to take out the shifter, place in a vise or suitable position to work on with the shallow side of the trans on the bottom. Remove the bolts and split the trans. You should be able to see the problem right away. Take plenty of pictures, and we can help as you go. Toro has the trans gasket for about $5.00...they probably have to order it, so call them early. Hope this helps and keep us posted. :ychain: You will be pleased how easy this job is to do.

Almost forgot...the detente balls, spring and a piece of metal in the spring are in the shallow side of the trans between the 2 shift forks. When you pull out one of the shift forks, one of the balls may shoot out of the hole. It is a 1/4" ball bearing and available at ACE and other places. Just so you know, in case it gets away from you. :D

Irv

Thanks much Gator and Steve, looks like I'll put the blower on the 312 and I'll have 2 trannys to work on in the spring. :ychain:

B-8074

I had one do that once. It was the roll pin that holds the shifter ball to the gear shift. Does the shifter move up and down or pull all the way out? If so, you may not have to take the tranny apart.

Irv

B-8074, The shifter kind of flops between 1st and reverse-I haven't tried to pull it out, will check tomorrow. thanks

B-8074

Message sent

Irv

Thanks B-8074. The shifter does pull out and I will try what you suggested.

Irv

Got at it finally. The dog-point screw was sheared off (how does that happen?). Luckily was able to screw out the remaining piece with my fingertip. Now to check to see if my toro dealer has a set screw. Next project is getting new axles put in the C-100. Thanks again for your help guys!

Irv

Couldn't locate a dog point set screw around here so I made one-works great. :thumbs:

Anglo Traction

Got at it finally. The dog-point screw was sheared off (how does that happen?).

Hi Irv, Glad it was an easy fix. The only thing to be aware of is that if the replacement Screw you made is Mild (non hardened) Steel, it may wear out quicker.

The Dog Point Screws are of High Carbon Steel, Hardened and Tempered to cope with the wear and a degree of strength.

The only problem with Hardened Steel is that it is Brittle in that state.

The Shearing Force on it can be quite high when you consider the length of the Lever in relation to the section of the Dog Point and any accidental force applied to it i.e. hitting it with a boot while getting on and off the Tractor, applying too much force with a reluctant gear selection or it fatigues over time will force it to 'Throw in the Towel' and give up .

So it may be worth checking it for wear now and again, depending on use.

stevasaurus

Glad you got it fixed Irv...B-8074 must have been right on. :wh: Glad you didn't drop the transmission and then find out it was only the shifter. I forgot all about that in my above post. :thumbs: will not happen again.

Irv

I thought about that Anglo and I'm going to order the correct screw (Jacks small engines has them) and replace it when I get it. thanks and thanks Steve for your help.