Sign in to follow this  
jimbo7921

core heater for onan engine

jimbo7921

went to start my tractor last night, had a hard time starting it. I didn't realize that a onan engine was not a good starter in the cold. Is it possible to plug this tractor in if it had a core heater? is it even possible to get one? thx jim

Operator

You'd need water for a "core heater" . You can try a magnet heater on the oil pan.

Or a trickle charger on the battery to give it a boost.

Randy

jimbo7921

thx randy!! never thought of the water thing. Besides changing oil and the air filter, i am not the smartest engine guy. Is an onan not a good cold engine starter compared to other engines? thx jim

Operator

The Onans in our 520s start good as long as the batteries are up. I have trickle chargers wired in, then I just plug in to batteries.

I also have one wired into a Kohler.

Randy

jimbo7921

It probably had something to do with not running for about a month, just have never had such a hard time starting it ever before. thx jim

W9JAB

I used to put a 100watt light bulb between

the cyls. of my Harley for a few hrs. befor starting it worked well.

dcrage

So would there be a problem using one of the old dipstick oil heaters on a garden tractor???? -- I would be putting it into my 310-8

W9JAB

A dip stick heater will work!

Sparky

What oil do you have in it? Straight 30w is to heavy for winter if thats whats in it. 10w-30 would be better if its going to be a winter tractor as its thinner and the starter wont be working as hard to spin the motor over.

Mike.......

Kelly

Thinner oil, like sparky said, a dip stick heater would work, a magnet heater on the oil pan won't stick the pan is aluminum, make sure you have a good batt. and the engine is tuned up, I have 3 520's they all start different, but all start good, I learned one needs more choke another needs the choke turned off almost as soon as it starts, ect.... you will have to learn your tractor.

jimbo7921

thx sparky, kelly! I just use castrol 10w 30 in it. I have just been using it in the summer since i have no winter attachments yet. It does need a little choke even when its warm, but you have to turn it off as soon as it fires and i have to let it warm up b4 i take off or it will stall. Once running it runs like a peach though. thx jim :

Operator

orry I forgot about them being aluminum. :ychain:

I might try one of those dipstik heaters, how long do you leave it in heating?

Randy

Brandonsj04

Late to the party, but I always take the load off the engine by pulling up the disengage lever to the hydro. It's hard enough on the starter to start the engine with cold oil, let alone adding stress by getting the hydro trans cold oil moving at the same time. Second the hardwired trickle charger. I got mine at harbor freight for like 7 bucks and hasn't let me down yet, even with a winter beater battery. (I keep the new one inside).