Sign in to follow this  
gattonde

Tire Chains Use

gattonde

I had my driveway asphalted this year and wondering if Tire Chains will tear it up. Has anyone plowed snow from their asphalted driveway with Chains attached.

Thanks for any Help.

Dan

Trouty56

I get some white scratches but hey, it's a driveway!! I'm not that particular. It doesn't tear hunks out of it or anything. Just white scratches.

danjmah

I get some white scratches but hey, it's a driveway!! I'm not that particular. It doesn't tear hunks out of it or anything. Just white scratches.

What Bob T says, I get the same.

rmaynard

Ditto the above. No serious damage, only cosmetic.

wheelhorse656

i use plasitic bar and nyolon chains they do neither and work just as good.

HankB

Likewise. But I'm not using V-bar chains. Regular chains just scratch off the topcoat.

I guess I'm more particular. Or maybe I was just looking for an excuse for a set of ags. :ychain: I've switch to ags for snow plow duty, fluid filled them and haven't looked back.

GlenPettit

If you are just driving on it carefully, pushing light snow, you will not noticeably tear or scratch up the drive, BUT . . . if you spin the chains at all, there will be noticeable scratches, and they can be very noticeable.

Weight will improve traction and reduce the chance of spinning, but nothing beats driving and plowing carefully. If the snow is wet and heavy, it will take more effort, light fluffy snow is very easy to plow.

It all depends you you. When you seal the drive, the scratches are easily covered.

Good Luck, GHen

bk-scouter

I'm trying out a set of rubber chains that I bought off of "Mainedad" (Micah) earlier this fall. I was not liking the the white scratches my chains were leaving on my concrete drive, so these seemed to be a logical alternative.

Last Sunday I put them to the test twice and they did a very nice job, even better than my 4- link chains. Now I don't have to park the rear tires onto wood blocks anymore to prevent the rust stains getting on garage floor. :ychain:

CHAIN-1.jpg

CHAIN-3.jpg

-BK

Horse Fanatic

As others have said, they do scratch the driveway. I didn't care on my old driveway and used chains and they worked well. I got the driveway repaved a couple years ago and didn't want to mark it up, so I got some ags and filled them. Those along with the weights work as well as the non-filled turf tires I was using with chains and they don't scratch the asphault.

Shuboxlover

I get some white scratches

DITTO!!!! :D

now what you DON'T want to do is use your tractor with tire chains on two week old concrete :ychain::D:D:hide::DB) :D

Butch

I get some white scratches

DITTO!!!! :D

now what you DON'T want to do is use your tractor with tire chains on two week old concrete :ychain::D:D:hide::DB):D

You didn't. Not on 2 week old concrete. Did you? Heck you can just about

still trowel 2 week old concrete! B)

Redbirdman

Yeah....... don't stand there spinning and you wont have a problem! The big problem is when you CHARGE someone for plowing and you scuff,,,,, specially on PAVERS! Or on SLATE! I actually did more damage backing up a hill than pushing....

But those days are over............now I only worry about driving into a pool! :ychain:

Shuboxlover

You didn't. Not on 2 week old concrete. Did you? Heck you can just about

still trowel 2 week old concrete! :hide:

Yep....I sure did :D

temporary lack of judgment....

or too much :D power :ychain:

I don't look at them as chain marks....

I look at them as Wheel Horse shoe marks :D

Save Old Iron

and of course if anyone has a driveway beginning to "alligator" or crack slightly,

chains catching in a crack will dislodge larger chunks of the already compromised asphalt and degrade the surface even more.

PPGman

I have a couple sets of chains and they do mark the asphalt, as well as the concrete if you spin. My V-chains offer the best traction, and i have found that they are actually better as they spin less.

Wheel weights also greatly help with the wheel spin issue. The key is to operate without spinning the tires. Heaver snow, you might have to take less of a bite. Light snow you can hook her in high gear and get'r' done mode! Make no mistake about it though....if you sit there and dig and spin, your asphalt will be a mess :ychain:

I know alot of guys on here use loaded up ag type tires/ no chains, with good results. This idea never apealed to me as i know what a farm tractor with ags and no chains does in the snow; but i'm changing my thinking on this since alot of guys here run that setup and say how well it works for them. This might be the next set up i try when my boys start doing some of the snow plowing duties around the house. But for the most part, my chains have served me well with minimal damage.