Sign in to follow this  
Redbirdman

choke and throttle

Redbirdman

The parts manual shows the choke and throttle side by side for the 1961 701.

I have seen photos of all different configurations. Mine has the choke on the far left and the throttle on the far right...............does anyone have a photo or knowledge of where they are all configured from the factory?

Ed :D :ychain:

Kelly

I think mine are side by side, and the starter button and key are on the other side, but i would have to go look, to be sure.

buckrancher

throttle on far right

choke on far left

key next to throttle

starter botton next to choke

Brian

puddlejumper

Redbird my tractor is set up like yours.And buckranchers But....... Since I have lots of faith in kelly I got out my parts manual listing and it shows key on far right,button on right between key and amp gauge,choke on far left with throttle between it and gauge. Now with that said Ive got a feeling that both ways are correct because when I had my dash apart I was pretty sure the wiring was original by the way it looked and harnessed together.and I dont believe the wire from the starter button to the solenoid ,or the wire from the key to the amp gauge either one would reach with the configuration I describe above.

GlenPettit

When the 701 first came out with the very first plastic dash in 1961, the Choke & Throttle were in the centers with the button and key on the sides; BUT, the new dashes quickly cracked-failed-broke from the movement & force in use, and the factory realized they had a problem in mid-year that needed to be corrected. For the next 6-7 model years all the dashes were metal.

To correct this problem on the 701, the holes were reversed, the cables now were in the outside holes which were stronger, being closer to the frame & screws. The 'ID' of all four control holes are not exactly the same, and not all dashes are in that order because a few of the dealers or owners had to enlarge some dash holes themselves when installing as they tried to modify and use up the original dashes before making new ones (cables should be in outside holes), and that is the recommended positions for best strength.

- - - - -

Here is picture of the back of our Reproduced later 701 Dash that we make, where we have reinforced/doubled the back in the original weak areas of the holes (the front side & the color are identical to the original), with the smaller C & T cable openings on the outside.

06-1.jpg

Redbirdman

AH HAAAAAAA.... I knew you all would come through!

Thanks everybody..........I sort of wondered about the weakness in the center of the dash........specially if the brace was loose or removed. And I saw the beefyness of GlenJeri's repro with the various bore sizes.

That really clears up the mystery.....

BTW: I received Glen Jeri's dash just the other day and installed it today. It is a fine piece of work and well worth the cost.... (just don't get a big head and increase the price though please!) :D

Thanks again........... ED :D :ychain:

TT

Hold your Horses! :ychain:

Just to prove that you can't stomp your foot and say "that ain't right!", have a look at this brochure picture:

701brochure.jpg

But just for the record, mine is set up the same as Brian's, Mitch's, and Ed's. :D

Redbirdman

Here is the uglymudder I am in the process of replacing TG

uglymudder.jpg

Not to rub a wound into the salt.......hijack my own post.. (huh) or change the subject:

...............man, that brochure of TT's sure looks like it has a round seat rather than the square seat that I was told was 'the right one'????

and BTW ...... where the H**# is the serial number decal in that photo.....

ED :ychain:

(thanks TT that is a cool brochure!)

Kelly

I think that photo is a prototype tractor, did you miss the lift handle? or lack of one?? the odd batt. hold down, and what looks like one off fenders, with lack of support strap, what is the extra knob floating above the shifter knob?? like I said probably not a production tractor, that might explain the seat.

Redbirdman

yep.....I missed the fenders,

but I just assumed the battery holder was changed to make room for what looked like a hydraulic lift kit of some kind along with that verticle lift knob.....

also, wow, shiny steering wheel and clean tires!

ED

puddlejumper

You know I really like the thought of a prototype picture. Done a real nice job of hiding all the wiring. But man I really would like to know what that extra knob was a prototype for :ychain: Really makes me wonder when the hy2 really first appeared on the drawing boards. Especially since SOMEBODY suggested a week or so ago that wheelhorse engineers couldnt see into the future. :D

Redbirdman

wheelhorse engineers

Maybe they just 'photoshopped' the picture!... :D

all they had to do was take out a digital camera, upload it to the computer and photoshop any changes they figured would work after running the numbers through their calculator, ...texting the boss for approval...and still getting home in time to make dinner for the missus before she got home from her job.....

wait, never mind NONE of that existed yet in '60, :ychain: sorry

evanloock

The extra knob is for the PTO engagement. You can see the pulley and the rod on the cover of the 401/551/701 owner's/part's manual.

puddlejumper

The extra knob is for the PTO engagement. You can see the pulley and the rod on the cover of the 401/551/701 owner's/part's manual.

Can you post a picture of the manual you have because mine doesnt show it

Or is unclear from being a copy

buckrancher

your right I got my 701 manual out and you can see it

it's the same tractor TT pictured round seat and rear fenders with no strap

support with the pto engagement rod

Brian

puddlejumper

Clearer 701 manual:

well I be @%&* ! What a oddity that they changed the tractor and apparently the parts list but not the cover on the manual.

Kelly

I still say it's a prototype tractor on the ad and the manual cover, and the one on the manual has turf tires, unlike the ad. I need to find my 701 manual so I can look at it better, this one has a water mark over the parts I want to see.

Redbirdman

and the "Unidrive" sticker on the tool box............. :ychain: