Sign in to follow this  
Aussie

416-8 axle seals

Aussie

I am having trouble finding axle seals for my 1989 416-8, 31-16O801.

There are two sizes used in this model. I have checked on both Partstree and Jack's Small Engines look-up sites. They both list PN 100443 as being 1 1/8" ID x 1 5/8" OD and PN 6449 as 1 1/8" ID x 1 3/8" OD. I need the smaller 1 3/8" ones for my tractor but when I ordered PN 6449 they were actually 1 5/8" OD. I have checked with Jack's and they confirmed this is the actual size for 6449. I have asked them to check the size of 100443, waiting to hear back.

In the meantime does any-one know the correct PN for 1 3/8" OD rear axle seals?

thanks

sorekiwi

Kym the cross referance I have here lists the following:

6449 --> SKF 11124 --> 1.125 ID, 1.624 OD, .256 wide

100443 --> SKF 11050 --> 1.125 ID, 1.375 OD, .125 wide

Hope this helps, I think I'd be trying your local bearing houses down there first.

Aussie

Thanks guys

Bob, that appears to be wrong. Mike, I think you have the answer, they appear to have the part numbers the wrong way around. Tried locally but no luck. I'll try Toro to see if they can confirm.

thanks for your help

rmaynard

I'll try Toro to see if they can confirm.

Apparently the info is incorrect on the SEPW site. The 1-3/8" seal crosses to a NAPA part number NOS 11050

Bob

rmaynard

Try this place!!

http://www.rcpw.com/lookup/?arisbrand=TO&a...AwaKCCeXZhKoA==

Check out all the number 14 there are four seals shown :ychain:

Chas

The problem is, that site also states that the 6449 is the 1-3/8" OD seal. That is apparently wrong. :D All of the online parts sites get their info directly from Toro (who is wrong). The 100443 is the correct number for the 1-3/8" OD seal according to all of the cross-reference charts at CR, SKF, etc.

http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/popup_part...okup_457012.htm

Bob

WH854

The P/N # 6449 is for my Auto Transmission C-165, P/N# 100443 fits my C-105 8 speed I have replassed seals in them booth I got them from Toro.

Chas

TT

#6449 is 1 5/8" OD and 1/2" wide.

They're made a little "heavier" to hold back the thinner oil on the hydro transaxles.

How's this for confirmation?:

6449seal004.jpg

Picking these seals out from the outside (like the gear-drives) is just a little tougher. :ychain:

WH854

Yea I said :ychain: when I picked them out of the auto :D

Chas

sorekiwi

Tried locally but no luck. I'll try Toro to see if they can confirm.

Wow, I cant believe that you cant get them thru SKF in Australia.

It was a while ago (19 years now I've counted them!!) but i worked for a gearbox rebuilding shop in Auckland and we almost never got stuck for a bearing or a seal. With NZ being kinda remote from the rest of the world, it seemed that industry was set up for repairing stuff rather than replacing it. I would have thought that Australia was the same way. But it was a while ago, maybe things have changed. :ychain:

Aussie

Thanks for all the replies.

Mike, the problem is the main supplier here is based in the eastern states and the local office only carries fast moving stock. Apparently the seals should be available from Sydney but are currently on back order.

I tried to get the needle rollers locally, fine for the open ended ones, they can be obtained from Sydney, but the closed end have to be especially ordered from Germany! So, I gave up and went to Jack's who can get everything I need and it usually takes a bit over a week to get here (maybe a bit longer over Christmas) vs three to four days from Sydney, so it really isn't a huge delay. Our dollar is close to parity with the $US at the moment as well, so that helps also.

I'll post the reply from Toro when it comes.

Once again thank you all. :ychain: