Sign in to follow this  
harleyjj

hub just spins on axle

harleyjj

so all went well plowing the drive sunday until the tractor stopped moving!

The left hub is just spinning on the axle and it looks like a large piece of the woodruff key is protruding out from the hub. I assume that being the hub spins freely on the axle, removing the hub should be an easy task? Any tips?

What size is the key that goes in the hub on a C111 8 speed? Can I get one anywhere or is it something i will need to order from my local Toro dealer?

wheelhorse656

you can get the keys at your local hardware store i have to replace one on my 656.

good luck with your :D :ychain:

Coadster32

Not sure of the key size on yours, but they measure width x Length. The keys on my 854 are 1/4 X 1. (1/4" thick by 1" long). Hope this helps.

harleyjj

Thanks! my next question is if the left hub is just spinning should the right wheel still turn?

stevasaurus

If it is not "limited slip" no...the other one will just sit there. I would pull that hub and if the key is good there, just match it up and replace both. They are made to break and save the parts it the trans. :ychain:

Kelly

If the hub is too loose on the axle it will do it again, the hub should be a tight fit, and look at the key way in the hub to see if it is any good.

harleyjj

I will take it apart in the next few days and see whats giong on. I have been too busy at work to get it done yet. Are the keys in the hubs square or woodruff keys?

Wilsonrl48747

Had the same thing happen to me. After the 3rd time, I drilled a small dimple in the axle so that the set screw had something to sit in. My key was still good, it just kept slipping out of place, usually in the farthest corner of the property from the shed! I didn't drill too deep, just enough to give the set screws something to bite into. Haven't had a problem since.

racinfool40

Woodruff keys I picked mine up from TSC!! :ychain: double check your hubs for a good fit and check the key way in the hubs.If it looks bad it is!!!just got 2 new huds for my c-161 and the old ones key ways were almost gone..

pfrederi

Make sure that the tip of your set screw is in good shape. It should have a cup shaped end the digs a ring into the woodruff key. Most of the ones I have pulled out have been mashed flat on the end. They will not hold well. You can get them at a good hardware store or McMaster or Toro