Sign in to follow this  
trettig

RJ58 rusted steering

trettig

Any suggestions for freeing up a rusted in place steering rod on a RJ58? I have tried PB Blaster and hitting it with a hammer to loosen it up. To no avail... Any suggestions?

Tom

Kelly

heat from a torch, at least a propane torch, then keep the PB blaster going to it.

smokin joe

I use a torch to heat it nice and hot then work back and forth with a hammer.Dont hit too hard though :ychain:

grnlark

I agree with using heat and a good penetrant. I actually read a review that was conducted by a big university several years back about the best penetrating formula(s).

The top three after their trials were:

#3: Liquid Wrench

#2: PB Blaster

#1: 50/50 mix of Acetone and Trans fluid :ychain:

trettig

Thanks guys. Will the penetrating fluid catch on fire when you use a torch?

Kelly

Yes it will but not real bad.

VinsRJ

Just becareful of the plastic rim..... don't want to catch that on fire or the melt.

If you do not to worrry, I've got another one in stock :ychain:

Redbirdman

Just becareful of the plastic rim..... don't want to catch that on fire or melt

wheelh064.jpg

Like this poor guy......Ironic, I came in from watching this fire and the first post I read mentions "catching fire"..........like you conjured that up :D

I was working on my 701 when I spotted what looked like brush fire smoke,....a few minutes later it turned brown then boiling black as the tires ignited: after a few minutes the tires exploded one by one sending up gushers of black smoke. The Fire Department arrived just about the time there was nothing left to burn, but they only had limited water since that field is a few miles from any hydrants. I understand it was a huge cotton picker/baler (That's a bale-o-cotton the size of a tractor trailer under the orange tarp) ....

Don't know what started it, but it is a reminder IRON burns no matter what size or color................. :D:ychain:

(of course the 'ol farmers always say they burn hotter after the crop is picked and the insurance is paid........)

But getting back to freeing some rusty stuff. Where I prefer NOT to use a torch (like in a hanger or house attached garage) I have had good luck with the 'air hammer'.......only instead of using a chisel tip I use a blunt tip and just let it brrrrrr...brrrrrrruup brrrrrrrrruup away on a flat spot. (wife gets pissed though)

ED