Sign in to follow this  
Shuboxlover

Huh???

Shuboxlover

So I picked this up today

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=23627

Went through all the wiring to make sure I was getting continuity where I am supposed to (I am)

for some strange reason I still have to jump across the solenoid...but that's not my question right now.

When I jump across the solenoid and the starter engages, i SWEAR the starter is spinning backwards. As I look at the starter (standing on the flywheel side of the tractor) the starter gear spins counter-clockwise (i.e. the "top" of the gear, the part that I can see, spins toward the motor, not toward the rear of the tractor). There is no way it will engage the flywheel spinning in that direction is there? I can spin the gear by hand (clockwise) and when I do that, the gear engages the flywheel. Am I looking at this all wrong or what. :ychain:

JimD

The starter spinning CCW throws the gear forward into the ring gear on the flywheel, which in turn spins the engine CW, as you are looking at it from the flywheel side.

MikesRJ

You're looking at it the wrong way.

If you rotate the starter gear clockwise by hand to engage the flywheel, that would mean the starter motor shaft would have to spin counter-clockwise in order to generate the centrifugal force to spin the gear out into the engaged position.

Shuboxlover

o.k......CW or CCW, my point being, when the starter spins, the gear just turns, it does not go out and engage the flywheel. I even took the starter off and lubed the shaft, the gear moves flawlessly on the shaft....what gives?

Kelly

Batt. is not hooked up backwards??? LOL :ychain:

Shuboxlover

I suppose you had to ask that didn't you?

No it's not.....not unless it's a positive ground :ychain:

WH nut

When you look at the flywheel fron the flywheel side, the motor spins clockwise

WheelHorse_of_course

Batt. is not hooked up backwards??? LOL :ychain:

No joke, check this. This is a possible explanation for both of your problems. As a troubleshooter I like to find an explanation that explains all problems if I possibly can.

I am pretty sure I can think up a scenario where reversed polarity could explain a failure to trigger the solenoid.

Worth checking anyway.

If the starter IS turing the right way, then you may have a bad pawl. As mentioned above, the starter shaft must operate in the opposite direction from the direction that cause the gear to engage if rotated manually.

Best of luck.

wallfish

The starter is turning the correct direction. There should be a spring in there around the shaft that causes the friction or tension for the gear to slide out and engage the flywheel. Sounds like the spring is broken or missing.

JimD

You're looking at it the wrong way.

If you rotate the starter gear clockwise by hand to engage the flywheel, that would mean the starter motor shaft would have to spin counter-clockwise in order to generate the centrifugal force to spin the gear out into the engaged position.

Isn't that what I just said? :ychain: Ding, fries are done. :D

MikesRJ

Merry Christmas Jim!

Shuboxlover

o.k....I just went and watched my C-160 starter spin. It was really inconclusive....when the starter spins, it obviously engages the flywheel (cuz it starts :ychain: )

This picture was taken from the top of the motor, the front of the tractor is to the right....

The round starter gear you see there, the top of it (the part you can see easily) turns right (towards) the motor. So all it does is spins freely and never engages the flywheel.

I am leaning toward a bad spring, I'll dissemble and check things out.

C-165starter.jpg

WH nut

Take the starter drive off and clean up the wormed shaft, If its gummed up, with the colder weather it may no be clean enought to engage

Shuboxlover

O.K. took the starter off.......this looks normal, right?

C-165startergear.jpg

But this on the other hand.....

insideC-165starter.jpg

would this cause my problem, looks like the magnet broke at one point and someone JB welded it back together (or tried) anyway.

would this cause the symptom I have been seeing...

It it fixable, can I buy just the starter case?

Shuboxlover

Will the starter off the 1974 D-160 work??? :ychain:

oldandred

O.K. took the starter off.......this looks normal, right?

C-165startergear.jpg

But this on the other hand.....

insideC-165starter.jpg

would this cause my problem, looks like the magnet broke at one point and someone JB welded it back together (or tried) anyway.

would this cause the symptom I have been seeing...

It it fixable, can I buy just the starter case?

Hummmmm another JB well that didnt work

Kelly

Your D is a kohler right? if yes it will fit.

Trouty56

Possibly the starter is not spinning with enough rpms to kick out the starter gear against the spring tension since the magnets are damaged.

Shuboxlover

Your D is a kohler right? if yes it will fit.

Yes, one of them is a Kohler....gonna go see what happens.

Shuboxlover

evidently....my battery wasn't as strong as I thought.... :D

go easy on me S.O.I :ychain:

anyway....

it turns over now with a good battery, and the starter from the D....

No spark yet....

I need to get a carb kit and some points....

Eventually I'll get around to putting the old crappy starter on to see if it still works.

I'll let you know.

What do you guy suggest for cleaning the carb...just your run of the mil carb cleaner from Wally World or what?

Kelly

I like to soak my carbs at least over night in Berrymans Chem dip, comes in a gallon can with a basket to put parts in, buy it at most auto parts stores, then wash the parts off with spray brake clean.