Sign in to follow this  
nitropete

Indy 500 tractor

nitropete

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I did not know a WheelHorse forum existed! Neat. I own 18 Wheelhorses and hundereds of new and used parts. My favorite is my unrestored 1968 Indy 500 edition 6hp. It has a 32" deck and snowblade option.

After a search through the archives, I believe I might have one of only two indy's that were purchased west of the Mississippi (barely). I know this because my father owned a Wheelhorse dealership in Keokuk, iowa until 1977 (B&R wheelhorse) and he purchased 2. I have one and my uncle Ray has the other in Jefferson city, Mo. They are both true racecar pullers from Indy in '68, And have the double checkered flag"6" decals to prove it. My 6 is all original except the seat, which I replaced for comfort(what a dumbass!). It still has the original tires (95%) and a perfect running original pullstart motor.

I always thought my Indy was unique but didnt realize how rare until I found this forum Thanks so much, Pete

Brrly1

Well Welcome to Red Square. It's a place all full of knowledge and know how. Are you a Hawkeye or do you live across the river. I am sure you will have alot of fun here. If you get a chance snap some pictures of you herd especially of the Indy "500" Good Luck + Enjoy See Ya, Bye, Burly :D

:ychain:

Sparky

Get us some pics Pete! We thrive on pics here.

Mike.......

sorekiwi

I'm another nut for the 500 Specials, I have two of them. It seems to me that this model is probably the one with the most "Myths and Legends" attached to it.

There is a lot of threads about them on here. And there are quite a few around. Not as rare as I would like (!) but there is something special about them (pun not intended)

VinsRJ

:D

The 500 Special is a great :D :ychain:

ducky

Uncle BO

:D Pictures !!! :D :ychain:

btrrg1969

MikesRJ

:D:D :hide:

nitropete

Thanks for the warm welcome fella's. Also, thanks for the history links to the indy edition. I will post a few pics soon. My dad passed away ten years ago, but would have loved this forum. He lived and breathed red. He wore vintage WheelHorse trucker hats, before they came back into style, hehe.

I'll post a pic of a local parade in the seventies, he rigged 4 WH's pulling a hay wagon like a team of horses in the wild west and pulled a smaller tractor pony style behind. I was like 5 yrs. old. and it was one of my favorite childhood memories. When I was older and recalled, he told me that only one tractor was running and pulled the whole rig! Pretty amazing lawn power! Pete