Sign in to follow this  
Operator

Safety switch question

Operator

OK here is the deal , picked up the 520 from my sons and hauled it over here and pulled off deck and put on cab and chains then the two stage blower, so far so good. Then hauled it back to sons house unloaded it, no problem.

Today it's snowing like [you know what] 15" on ground now and still coming.

Anyway, when he puts pto in gear it kills engine as soon as he pushes lever forward, I told him to check the safety switch on pto. If he pushes the contact finger it will stay running, lets go it dies. I then told him to pull connector off switch and try - won't start then, So I told him to jump two of the wires in conector and check "start" and pto "in" he did and things are good. We will replace the safety switch for sure. Got snow to blow .

Question here is does this sound right the engine will die when lever is moved forward to engage?

Randy

JoeMonag

Randy, not to ask a dumb question, was he sitting on the seat ? I had a simular problem when I put a belt driven generator onthe front of my 310, I had to disconnect the connector on the seat swich otherwise the engine would stall as soon as I engeged the Pto. The wiring is different on the 520, but the principle is the same, the seat sw. must feel weight, for the Pto to be engaged and not interupt the ignition. On my 416 I place an old leather glove under the seat over the switch, if I want to use the generator .

I down loaded some 520 manuals last year when I thought I was going to buy one. If you are interested send an e-mail to JoeMonag@aol.com, and I forward the pdf files. Joe in Norton

Operator

Thanks Joe! The seat switch is one that is in the seat pan itself unlike one of the others we have. Anyway now that you mentioned that, normally that switch is stuck down, BUT I did mess with it when I was putting cab on :ychain: so maybe I did something to it. I don't know if he was sitting when he put PTO in gear. I will check with him this evening. That switch is corroded enough so just maybe - -

Thanks Joe you got me thinking,

Randy

Save Old Iron

Question here is does this sound right the engine will die when lever is moved forward to engage?

Here is one scenario that shows the value of the switch

operator is NOT in the seat

operator is standing so close to the side of the tractor that the tip of his/ her shoe is underneath the mower deck.

operator throws the PTO to engage the deck

either engine shuts down immediately or operator gets an unwanted costly "pedicure".

Kelly

I had this issue with a older 520, the bushings that the PTO lever rides in as it goes through the dash tower, were shot, well missing for the most part, if you held the lever forward it would work, if you let go it would kill the engine, take a peek at the bushings, and on a side note the bushing you can see from the outside, is held in place with a snapring and no grove for it to fit in, it just rides on the handle.

Operator

OK here is the deal , picked up the 520 from my sons and hauled it over here and pulled off deck and put on cab and chains then the two stage blower, so far so good. Then hauled it back to sons house unloaded it, no problem.

Today it's snowing like [you know what] 15" on ground now and still coming.

Anyway, when he puts pto in gear it kills engine as soon as he pushes lever forward, I told him to check the safety switch on pto. If he pushes the contact finger it will stay running, lets go it dies. I then told him to pull connector off switch and try - won't start then, So I told him to jump two of the wires in conector and check "start" and pto "in" he did and things are good. We will replace the safety switch for sure. Got snow to blow .

Randy

Sixth line down, Switch will get replaced. And it will. But with 20" of snow up here we needed it now.

Monday I was on a road trip for D stuff, tuesday I will get switch off a parts Horse I have. And I'll check shaft bushing , thanks.

After I unload my "new" D toys. :ychain:

Randy