Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

1996 416 Auto axle seals

Hodge71

Just getting ready to put the snowblower and I noticed the axles and inside of the hubs are all dirty from mowing. Hyro fluid is a bit low, still well within the safe range but I'm wondering if the seals can be changed while the hydro is in the tractor. Is it something that I can handle myself or best done by a pro? I've done resto work on cars and trucks and know my way around a tractor pretty well even though I'm no ASE certified mechanic. Also, is there anything I need to know to do it or any special tools that need to be made to accomplish it. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

Hodge71

Is this that hard that theres nobody on the entire site that can help or did I miss something???? HMMM.....

sorekiwi

There are a ton of threads on here about how to change axle seals, and a lot with pictures.

The seals can be changed without splitting the case, basically you remove the hubs, remove the woodruff keys, pick out the old seals with a screwdriver or something, clean and polish up the axle shafts so you dont damage the new seal, slide the new seal onto the shaft and tap it into the axle housing till its flush (I use a short piece of pipe for this).

Read some of the other posts for more details. The procedure is the same for the auto's and the sticks.

Hodge71

:D Miike I really appreciate it. I did search and it was information overload to say the least. Thats all I needed to know was that they are all basically the same and if I follow the previous informative posts I'll be fine. :ychain: