Sign in to follow this  
perry

sorry looking herd

perry

this is one sorry lookin gang of rough necks. :D JD's beware.....

most of theese old timers get over worked hard threw out the year. but they take a licken and keep on tickin.

cleaning out the sheds to make room and get ready for winter and decided to line them up for a mug shot. from right to left and what i payed. B-100-$125 , 1067-$100, 877-$50, 604-free, my daughters 68 lawn ranger-$40, my son's 67 ranger-$100, raider 10-free dumpster find, 856-$50. farmall pedal-$50 before resto. the other 604 & suburban are resting out in the woods. not a bad herd for under $1000. the 604 and rangers are future resto projects and are going to my FIL's barn for storage.

whoctober015.jpg

whoctober016.jpg

whoctober017.jpg

whoctober019.jpg

whoctober018.jpg

refracman

Perry, nice lookin herd of ruffins you have there, :P and you cant beat the cost, i wouldn't want to start figurein what mine cost me :D , my banker would blow a gasket

Steve, doin some funny book keepin

T-Mo

I like these pictures, a herd of working horses. And there are a lot of them, all at good to great prices.

Is that chains on the front tires I see??? :D

perry

Is that chains on the front tires I see??? :D

oh yes. the chains on the front tires of the 877 are a must. these little short frames are so light in the frontend. with my long slopey gravel driveway the front chains allow me to angle the plow and push the snow where i want it. one of the best things i ever did to this little darlin.

tractorsnow006.jpg

T-Mo

Interesting - I guess you learn something new everyday. I don't think I ever saw that done before, I have seen people put ags on the front - but not chains. What weights do you use, if any, for the rear?

Curmudgeon

Oh man, we don't want to get into what we've spent do we??? :P:(:(

My first Wheel Horse, one I don't have any more, was a used Raider 10. With snowblower and mower deck, it cost more than your entire herd. When I squeaked the engine in that, I priced a crank, but a short block was only a couple hundred more. A new engine, only a couple hundred more. For a few hundred more, I could get a new 10HP Wheel Horse. For a couple hundred more, I could get 12HP. For a couple hundred more, I could get a 14HP. For a few hundred more, I GOT my 416-8, brand new. For those of you not mathmatically inclined, it cost about $2500.

From there, oh heck, a free one, I honestly don't remember what came next. Got a few parts tractors in the $75-$300 range. They just accumulated. After 10 years, and going through a good 20 tractors, 15 or so mower decks, 3 snow blowers, 3 front blades, mid-blade, sickle bar, trailer, generator, couple of mold board plows, digger, yadda, yadda, yadda, I DON'T WANT TO KNOW the total.

I'll say this. I'll bet I've spent more in parts to keep, or get, these old girls going, or modifying for better performance, than I have in buying them in the first place. Not to say they break a lot, but uh, I'm rough on equipment. :( Well, that and many of those I got, needed repair coming in.

Dale, should be in the garage right now, but aren't. :D

nylyon

Oh man, we don't want to get into what we've spent do we??? :P:(:(

For a few hundred more, I GOT my 416-8, brand new. For those of you not mathmatically inclined, it cost about $2500.

Perry great herd, and some awsome deals.

Dale, $2500 for a 416 NEW :( I paid $5,100 for my 416-H with 42" rd / recycler deck and a free WH belt buckle! The 414 was about $200 and the C-120 qwas $100. At this rate the next one should be free :D

kj4kicks

Hey Perry, Nothin's rough, as long as they do what they are supposed to do !

Let's see... I paid $400 for my 1077, which came with the PG Line dump cart, and a 3-gang reel mower (non WH). Sold the 3 gang for $250 the next day.

Paid $%^&* too much for the C160 FEL, but just HAD to have it. Got the 520H for $750 ish, and still have less than $1k in it (unless you count the loader).

Man, I gotta hang out by the dumpsters more often !

Eldon.

perry

Interesting - I guess you learn something new everyday. I don't think I ever saw that done before, I have seen people put ags on the front - but not chains. What weights do you use, if any, for the rear?

the ag's on the front my simplicity seemed to slide around worse than my others. i have 2 sets of walk behind snowblower chains that im going to convert to fit onto these ag's.

i have wieghts but no need to use them on the 877. it'll already pull wheelie with the blade on :D . i use the wieghts on my other tractors that need them.

yes the dumpster tractors and freebies are always a good find. i have actually passed up on a few $100 tractors lately. but im still always looking.

oh ya, i saved this simplicity the night before it was going to be dumped into the scrap dumpster. it was stock when i got it, and all it needed was a little maitenace and its been running great for 2 yrs now. and gets worked VERY hard giving my wheel horse's a break.

misctractorpics037.jpg

Curmudgeon

Sorry, but if you guys don't sign your name EVERY time, I'll forget, so...

Nylyon, that was a bare 416-8 in 1985. Even my newest tractor isn't so new anymore.

Perry, chains don't always work real great on ag tires. They have a tendency to fall between the lugs, and if the lugs are higher, the chains do virtually nothing. They work on large farm tractors because they are run loose, free to flop, and lay across the lug instead of working to the smallest part of the tire. The flats between the lugs. Log skidders run chains with extra links circumventing the center of the tire to over come this tendency on chains that are run tighter.

Your experience may be different, but the general consensus is, chains add more to turf treads than lug treads. I ran chains on my lugs one winter, couldn't do a darn thing because they soon wound up as I mentioned. Now I just swap wheels/tires with chains intact rather than put the chains on and off.

Okay, I'll admit it, the C-160 has had the snowblower and chains on it year round for a few years now......... LOL

Dale, in Michigan

Sparky

Now I know that 4 link chains give a rough ride but how bad is it with chains on all 4 corners. I swapped out my 4 links for 2 links and the ride is 100% better.

Mike...gittin kinda soft

perry

come to think of it i do remember hearing about the promblems with chains and lugs. heck i have enough extra rims & tires around ill prombaly make up another winter set :D . thanks for the reminder dale.....perry

Curmudgeon

That's what we're here for Perry, and I LOVE your avatar!!!!!!!!!!

If it ain't broke, you're not trying.

Dale, in Michigan

perry

Now I know that 4 link chains give a rough ride but how bad is it with chains on all 4 corners. I swapped out my 4 links for 2 links and the ride is 100% better.

Mike...gittin kinda soft

i have a set car chains with the ice grippers mounted on some rear tractor tires. talk about a rough ride. feels like your runnin a dozer :D , but with those babys mounted i can get'r'done. the 877 with the front chains is'nt too bad. i have some rough terrain and rutty muddy trails i ride.

and ya dale, you just gotta love ol'red.

redgreen_sign.jpg