Sign in to follow this  
Dresden Guy

Snowblower for my C-160

Dresden Guy

:ychain:

I am considering buying a 96-42ST01 snowthrower/blower for my C-160 and B-80, but my dilemna is: are they just neat to own as a collectible (restored or as found), or or they really a useful winter snow attachment. I live in a small town and enjoy cleaning 1 - 2 miles of village sidewalks. I can't think that a snowblower, for my application is safe or more efficient than my 48" blade. They seem well-suited for

dgjks6

This is just my 2 cents.

You need both. For clearing my drivey when there is only a couple inches the plow is perfect, but for deep snow the blower is better. It throws the snow a mile.

The problem I have is that every time a plow the driveway gets an inch narrower. After a season of plowing it seems the path is just waide enoough for a car and the piles at the top and bottom of the driveay get too big.

The problem with my single stage blower is that is if the snow is not deep enough it only throws it s few feet.

Irv

Yes, they are a great tool to have. I have both, a 48" blade on a C-125 and a 42" blower on a 314-8. The blade is ok for a few inches of snow but when there's a lot and you need to get it out of the way, the blower is the way to go. Don't get me wrong, a blade is a good tool for dirt or snow but after there's been a couple good snowfalls you can run out of places to push snow to.

nylyon

I have both and usually have the blower hooked up the the 416 and the blade on the 414. I have yet to use the blower, the blade takes care of it all.

Kelly

I have a blower on one and a blade on another

Forest Road

This will be my first season w/ :ychain:!!!! I'm running a single stage on a 314H and a plow on a 312-8. Fingers are crossed. Good luck to you.

JoeMonag

I have had a blade for 30 plus years,and a 26" walk behind blower for 16 years.

Last year I picked up a '97 44" two stage blower in great condition. I put it on my 310-8, and it worked great on my 400' driveway. But we had a few slush storms, and I missed having the blade. So I concluded you need both. This year I put the blade back on my 310-8, and I picked up a 416-8 last spring that I'll put the two stage on, as soon the rebuild onthe K341 is complete. My brother in CT, has had a single stage on a '73 14Hp 8 speed for about 20 years, and and all his neighbors, are glad he does, as he usually helps them out, clearing their two car wide two car long driveways.

I prefer a two stage as the first 200" of my drive way land is only 20-40 feet wide, so the two stage can throw it well ahead, or to the side. My two stage walk behind will throw the snow 40-50 feet away. With the tractor mounted blower, I can clear my drive in three passes sitting down. The walk behind took 5 passes walking up and down the drive, and it was tiering holding on to it. I'm not a big guy 5'6", 150 lbs , with aging almost 60 back, so with the tractor mounted blower, the tractor takes all the stress, and not your back.

Your foward motion is slower than if you are plowing, but you move an awesome amount of snow.

It is a lot safer, as you don't have to worry about slippping and falling, which happened to me once or twice with the walk behind.

Good luck. Joe in Norton

sorekiwi

I'm up in the snow-belt of Ohio (Geauga County) and the blower is almost a must around here. But I have a plow on another tractor as well.

The nice thing about the blower is that it gets rid of the snow, whereas the blade just piles it up each side of your driveway. A couple of weeks into it and your driveway starts to get a little narrow.

I use the blower first, then do the clean up with the plow. The wet slushy crap that the county leaves at the end of my driveway doesn't go through the blower too well, so its usually the blade on that bit.

The tractor is a bit unwieldy with the blower too, the blade is normally a little easier to maneuver round the tight spots.

HorseFixer

B)

Red Square members who have had experience with blowers, is it that it's just pure fun to hurl snow into the next zipcode. :hide:

Hurl Snow To The Next Zipcode? :ychain: Now who in the hell would do sumptin like that! :D And did you say fun? :D

:D

DSCN0266.jpg