Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

clunking after shut down

dgjks6

I recently acquired a 416-8. Durin the unloading process it fell out of the truck and landed on its side.

I righted the tractor and checked the fluids and it started. I was going to let it sit until spring, but after the first snow of the year I realize I need the blower and the plow hooked up at the same time.

So here is my question. The 416 runs perfec with no smoke, but when I shut it down there is a clunking sound from the front end. I think it is from the engine. I have only run it a for a few seconds. Is there something inside the engine I need to be concerned about from the tractor lying on its side? Is there a way to record it and post it here so you guys can hear it?

I am working tonight, but get off at 9am and the wife has to work tomorrow and I am home all alone so I would like to get this sorted out tomorrow.

Kelly

I would start by checking everything, grab the muffler, the blower tin, PTO, ect..... and try to move them see if anything is loose, make sure you didn't break the oil pan mounting tab, it could be anything.

daemon2525

It's gonna be pretty tough not knowing what a "clunking sound" is.

Does it knock while running? Did you only start and turn it off once?

It could be so many things that I don't even know where to start.

Normally I would say that it would not hurt to have it turn on it's side assuming

that you have oil and it did not fill the cylinder, then it would not start.

Did it bend anything like the blower housing that is touching the flywheel?

Sorry that I cannot be more help. Turn it over by hand if you can and listen for a noise?

Anglo Traction

Is there a way to record it and post it here so you guys can hear it?.

If it's by using sound on a camcorder, it would help, as we may also see if there is any obvious damage or misalignment. you can then post it the same way as a photo.

dgjks6

Wish I was home now, but it will be my first project in the AM. After I figure out how to post videos. I think I can do it with my camera.

I ran it twice for a few seconds. Sounds perfect when running and then after is slows after shut, just before it stops, you hear Clunk - Clunk. Two noises and thats it.

Anglo Traction

Wish I was home now, but it will be my first project in the AM. After I figure out how to post videos. I think I can do it with my camera.

Sent you a PM re posting images so you can print it out. Hope it helps.

puddlejumper

try it with the pto engaged in your other thread something looks off in the picture after you righted the tractor, Maybe clutch disk backlashing when engine stops. :ychain:

dgjks6

you my be onto something. the PTO brake does not work. The outside of the PTO is all rusted and spins for like 3 minutes after the engine shuts down.

WH854

Them ole 16 HP Kohlers do shake a bit when they shut off.I have one!! :ychain:

Jim_M

Could be the baffle inside the muffler has broken loose. I had a C-160 with a Nelson muffler that did that. Could be a lot of things, but I'm tossing it out there anyway.

Don1977

It could be carbon that broke lose in the head when it fell of the truck. Have you tried spinning it over with the spark plug out.

dgjks6

OK - here is my attempt at posting videos

#1 - just start and stop then engine. The PTO brake does not work so the PTO keeps spinning:

th_DSCF6131.jpg

#2 same thing (I know use the choke) - then I engage the PTO before shutting down the engine

th_DSCF6132.jpg

OK - so what is the noise? Where do I start?

WH854

I don't think it is the engine making that noise,the pto pully will spin because you don't have a belt installed, you can adjust that pully brake. If that was my tractor I would take the belt guard of and the drive belt of and the pully and run it that way and see if it makes noise that way, Those finger on the block by the drive pully may need adjusted. I think they keep the belt from jumping of the drive pully.Your belt cover may be bent too.(which side did the tractor fall on? That is what i would do

Chas

dgjks6

which side did the tractor fall on? That is what i would do

Chas

DSCF6056.jpg

DSCF6057.jpg

WH854

There is a lot of possible things that could of happened from the fall of the truck. You will have to do a lot of detective work!

Chas

dgjks6

OK - took put spark plug and spun engine. No abnormal noises.

The took off belt guard, PTO, drive belt and restarted.

Me thinks I damaged something. Either the carb needs cleaned (runs rough, and then during this video shoot got really loud), and still clunks

th_DSCF6135.jpg

Anyway, wife on way home - so after a quick clean up I re-hid the tractor which now has a bucket of pieces on top of it, that by the time I get around to fixing it I won't remember where they all go.

So I work a half day tomorrow and I think I am going to try to talk my wife into going Christmas shopping so I can work on it.

What's next?

Save Old Iron

a little audio filtering by the techs here at SOI_University

th_Clank1.jpg

sounds mechanically "substantial"

maybe more than just a belt cover

Start by removing the PTO pulley - retest - pull the trans drive belt - retest , etc , etc.

all the way down to engine internals - one cracked rod cap bolt, balance gears, etc

all candidates.

rmaynard

Crazy as it seems, it almost sounds like the starter gear bouncing off the flywheel to me. Can you at least pinpoint which side (flywheel or PTO) the sound is coming from?

WH854

Yeh Bob you could be right :ychain:

Chas

dgjks6

Can't tell which side, but it almost sounds like it is coming from inside the motor. Tell me how to check the starter and I will.

Just take off the starter? I think I did that before and I ended up with a million pieces.

jachady

How about taking off the motor shrouding and running it. Looking at the way the tractor fell off, you could have bent something just enough to come into contact at the right harmonic frequency to cause the noise. Although to me it sounds like a "deeper" rotating issue.

Good news is you now have something to tell your wife. "So and so just bought this tractor and although I don't know much about them, I know more than he does so he brought it over here for me to fix." Then after its fixed, he didn't know how to repay you so he gave it to you. :ychain:

Duff

How about taking off the motor shrouding and running it. Looking at the way the tractor fell off, you could have bent something just enough to come into contact at the right harmonic frequency to cause the noise. Although to me it sounds like a "deeper" rotating issue.

Good news is you now have something to tell your wife. "So and so just bought this tractor and although I don't know much about them, I know more than he does so he brought it over here for me to fix." Then after its fixed, he didn't know how to repay you so he gave it to you. :D

By jove, I think you've GOT it!

Duff :ychain: :D

Redbirdman

It sounds to me like backlash in the main bearings. Did it do that before it made the bad landing or did you not notice it? Does it knock underload when lugging it?

It sounds like many I've had on shutting down, but that don't mean it's ok.

ec

Anglo Traction

Having seen the way the Tractor fell and the sudden stop when it hit the ground, it's possible that the Crank was pulled up hard against the Alloy Bearing Plate by the shear force and the weight of the Flywheel..... Could also have shifted the Cam Shaft across. It would be interesting to see if there is any 'End Float' on the Crank now. Just a thought! :D .

As for your 'Tangled Web' you have Woven with the secrecy of the Tractor, how about taking more (easy) bits off it and say you've been building it from parts? :ychain: .

Hope you come through this with a decent Tractor and harmony :D .

dgjks6

The sound is definitly coming from the inside.

Thanks for all the help.

After I get a little more experience I will open this up and see what the damage is. For the winter going its going to sit.