Sign in to follow this  
Suburban 550

Last Sundays Haul

Suburban 550

Last Saturday morning while I was on Craigslist under Wheel Horse tractors, I noticed an estate sale listing that included 3 Wheel Horse tractors. The tractors listed were a 700 Special, a Charger 12 and an 852 :ychain: (which I knew was a mistake). I called to make arrangements to see the tractors and I was told there was going to be a big yard sale there early Sunday mornin' beginning at 7 a.m. and all the tractors were still available. :hide: The wife and I headed out at daybreak and with no intention of really wantin' to buy any of the tractors listed I left my trailer at home. :D Well as it turned out I got there a little after 7 and wasn't really interested in any of the tractors listed until I looked into a shed attached to the garage and found a dusty and dirty, fairly original 702 sittin' in the corner, which I ended squeezing in the back of my pickup for $150.00 The yard sale was being held by the daughter and 2 sons of a 90 year old man who passed away and liked to tinker with Wheel Horses. Had it up and running for a short time yesterday and the 7 h.p. Kohler sounded really sweet. Heres some pics after I brought it home loaded in the back of the truck.

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

Some pics from yesterday after workin' on it

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

Special thanks to my good friend Terry JW who spent a couple hours with me yesterday helping me work on it. :D

Horse'n Around

Thats a good looking 702. Its going to make you a really nice tractor :ychain:

John

stevasaurus

Good for you Ray...I love a happy ending. :ychain: Nice 702

JimD

That's really in great shape Ray. Nice find! :ychain:

dgoyette

Did you say $150? WOW Very nice find, looks like everything is in very good shape. Congrats

TT

Did you say $150? WOW

You used to be able to find lots of them for $150 or less! :D

Great catch, Ray! :ychain: Amazing what's still hiding in barns and sheds, huh? :D

AMC RULES

Really nice find there, can't wait to find mine too. :ychain:

Suburban 550

Thanks guys. :D You don't find too many like that anymore, and like TT said, there are probably a lot more laying around in peoples barns and sheds. This one looks like it had a new short block put in it at one time or another and other than the old guy likin' to paint everthing red, I think it will be a decent tractor. :ychain:

horsefeathers

Ray, :ychain: COOL!

buckrancher

good looking one Ray love those $150.00 deals

be sure the spark plug is tight :D :ychain:

stevebo

Ray,

Those rear tires really look good almost like they have no tread wear. What are your plans with this one? Show tractor or worker?

VinsRJ

Now thats a great haul for $150! I would have jumped on a deal like that also. :ychain:

rickv1957

Nice find on that 702! :ychain: Rick

Indy w h

Nice find Ray!!

Indy

bell

BEAUTIFUL tractor Ray! :ychain:

Kelly

I just picked up a 702 a few weeks ago and paid $125 for it and it's not even close to being as nice as that one i think you got a good deal.

btrrg1969

Looks Good :ychain:

Suburban 550

Thanks again guys for all your compliments. :ychain: I know tractors like this don't always fall into your hands that easy and I didn't even have to go that far to get it. Steve, I was really hopin' after lookin' in the dark shed it would have been a 701 instead of a 702, for the simple reason I already have a restored 702, but I just had to bring it home with me. As far as worker or a show tractor remains to be seen. :D Like Kelly said in another post there is nothin' better than a wife that supports your tractor addiction and even helps ya bring them home. Now back to the tractor, first thing is to tear the carb apart, clean it up and rebuild. Second thing will be a complete tune up and totally rewire it. After that, tighten up the steering and pull the tranny and see what it needs (seals and a new brake band I know for sure). Once I get that far and make sure it is mechanically sound I'll make my decision to do a total restore or not. If it wasn't for the guy painting it up with a spray bomb, I could have left it pretty much original. And last, to answer Brians question, the threads in the head are in perfect shape so it looks like you won't be taken' this motor back to New York to get a broken head bolt out for me. :D

TerryJW

:ychain: A few more pics of Ray hard at it on the new 702

101_5631.jpg

101_5630.jpg

101_5626.jpg

dandan111

Looks like a real nice find. :ychain:

Suburban 550

Forgot all about you snappin' pictures, Terry. :ychain: Hope you're feelin' better after smellin' all that bad gas. :D

Zeek

Special thanks to my good friend Terry JW who spent a couple hours with me yesterday helping me work on it. :ychain:

Wow, what luck! If you were closer I'd help you!