Sign in to follow this  
snowhound

1990 312H

snowhound

I have a 1990 312H that I want to work on over the winter in my cellar but I thouglt I saw somplace that you shouldn't push or pull a hydro unit and I have to move the tractor about 100 feet including going down the outside stairs int the cellar. Can I move the tractor that far without hurting the Hydro?

Kelly

Go slow you will be ok, just don't hook it to your truck and drag it top speed, I've used a old push mower with out the engine to put under the rear of some tractors to move them around.

camaross

careful going down the stairs .....hopefully you can get a few friends to help with that part

hodge

Down the stairs will be the easy part... getting back up will be different. Before you get down at the bottom, are you sure it will fit through the door, and turn the corner, if there is one?

Just asking- I am walking proof that guys don't always think before doing something...

Forest Road

Its not going down the stairs which is a problem. Its the sudden stop! The wheels on my 314H lock up if I push it to fast by hand. You'll know when your moving it to fast. Wish I lived nearby. I love a good challenge, especially when it involves a little rigging/ just be careful!

boovuc

Please parden my ignorance on this but all the hydros I owned, (C-Series), had a tow valve located on the transmission that allowed you to "tow" your tractor if it happened to quit in the great wide opens.

Now I know the 300-400-500 series are newer than my C series but I thought some later C's had the newer Eaton hydros. Isn't there a tow valve on your 300 series somewhere so it can be moved easily?

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

Kelly

As far as I know the newer tractors all have eaton transmissions and they don't have tow valves.

boovuc

Well that bites! I wonder why they did that on the newer tractors? All tractors, even Wheel Horses will quit for awhile! :thumbs:

I think it's in their long term contracts!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

HankB

My 314-H (Eaton 1100) has no tow valve. That feature is automatic and I can push it by hand with no problem. Apparently if it goes too fast, the hydro unit engages and then you can cause damage. There are stickers that admonish to push by hand only, though any sufficiently slow tow should be OK.

This is an improvement over my first WH - a Charger V8 with the Eaton 700. It had no tow valve or low speed release. The only way to move it not running was to get one or both rear wheels off the ground.

The Sundstrands common on the older hydros have tow valves.

-hank

snowhound

Thanks for all the replies, three of my sons will be on hand to help and I have checked to make sure it will fit throught the door. I'm going to use a winch attached to the trailer hitch on my truck to lower it down the stairs.. if there is a "problem" there will be parts for sale.

Thanks again for the replies

Snowhound

sorekiwi

Some of the Eaton 700's (if not all??) will push if you move the DCL all the way forward.

bitten

Good luck and be careful.

Kelly

Not sure if you have snow there yet but you can put something under the rear tires and slide it on the snow if it will not roll.

Forest Road

Thought of the day..... Since you're "rebuilding" this machine to some extent. Why not just unbolt the hydro motor/pump prior to moving it into the basement? I've never removed one but I'm sure I can't be that difficult. Then you can rol it around like a giant toy tractor.