Sign in to follow this  
dgoyette

Can I put 520 front axle on a 416?

dgoyette

So I upgraded the wheels on my 416H and wanted to change out the spindles to some stronger and shorter ones.

(See this thread for more detail prior thread on 6 inch wheels)

I found a great deal on heavy duty spindles from a 520 but didn't realize that this one had one inch spindles. I have 3/4 inch heavy duty on my 314-8 and thought they were the same.

So I am now wondering if I just abandon the idea for now or maybe the 520 swept axle can bolt up to the 416-H. Has anyone done this? I have a suspicion it is not a direct fit.

The spindles and tie rods rock. Look at these bad boys.

HD%20spindle%20520.jpg

Thanks in advance for any insight.

wallfish

I do believe the 520 axel is a direct fit. I spoke with Fireman (Jeff) who has already done the conversion and he said his bolted right up. I have all the 520 parts to add the swept axel, spindles and reduction steering to my 416-8. One other thing you might need is the 520 front rims. They use 1" wheel bearings and will fit the spindles.

Are you planning on a FEL? I can't see any other reason you would need to go that heavy duty. I have the heavy duty 3/4" spindles with the FEL and haven't had any issues at all. The reason I'm upgrading is for the swept axel and reduction steering.

Kelly

Yes bolts right in, you will need the wheels, and the lower steering shaft or fab up a adaptor to make the tie rods work.

dgoyette

Cool thanks John. I will have to look for an axle and wheels but it may have to wait a bit as I am low on cash right now.

When do you plan on doing your 416-8? Would sure like to see a thread on that when you do it.

I am not planning on an FEL on it ...but you never know :thumbs: . I actually thought I was getting the HD standard size spindles. I should have done my homework!

wallfish

I know what you mean, mine didn't come cheap since they are a hot commodity now.

I can't get to it until the srping. Should make a huge difference when the bucket is full. I was planning on full hydraulic steering and have all the parts but not an idea of how to make it work yet. Once the tractor is apart it may come to me since I'll have a better look.

C-Series14

I had to lift the engine up on my C-161 8-Speed. Mine has the FEL on it and I couldn't get the old steering shaft out. No room to swing it sideways to get the fan gear out! :thumbs:

midnight rambler

hi i have a set of the wheels you need with good tires and also have a non gear reduction steering set up off a 1989 520H email me thanks tomwh1971@yahoo.com

Kelly

I'm not sure the 89 520's have the forward swept axle, pretty sure the 90's do, just check to make sure they are the parts you need.

mr.pipes

I'm not sure the 89 520's have the forward swept axle, pretty sure the 90's do, just check to make sure they are the parts you need.

Pretty sure my parts machine is a 89 without forward swept. Talked to a guy about his 520 recently that had them and he said it was a 90.

I never checked the spindles on my parts machine 520. Do all years have 1 inch spindles ?

bitten

Did they have the 1" spindle on a straight axle or just the forward swept one?

dgoyette

Thanks kelly. I actually had contacted the guy I got the spindles from. He had the axle still so I am going to be able to get that off him, as well as the steering piece that you had mentioned earlier.

Thanks for making sure I didn't make another error.

Kelly

Glad I could help, I've been there.

Oh and no not all 520's have 1" spindles, only the forard swept axle tractors, the early ones are just a standard axle like most other WH's

Horse Fanatic

and the lower steering shaft or fab up a adaptor to make the tie rods work.

Curious, how do you have to modify the steering shaft to make the 520 tie rods work?

Is it because the tie rods are thicker they need to be lower so they don't hit anything?

Glenn