Sign in to follow this  
albion

Snow plough for C121

albion

Hi, All. Well, winter has arrived early here in Yorkshire, England and we have over a foot of snow even where there is no drifting - not much by some standards, but it's still snowing like crazy ...and I have a small car park to clear for my staff...

So, I need a snow plough for my series C121 8-speed and there are so many varieties I could really do with knowing part numbers or how to identift which one/s will fit. I think I need the 'long' type, which seem to be the 48" blade...but might be the 42" blade :thumbs:

Any help greatly appreciated - though here in England snow ploughs seem to be like hens teeth so I don't know where I'll find one.

I guess I'll also need snow chains...

Thanks, friends.

HankB

:thumbs:

IMO a foot of snow is a lot regardless. Even the many feet that they see in US snowbelt areas starts with a foot or so.

I have a plow that came with a 312-8 which I think is still considered a long frame. It is a 42" blade.

I think either 42" or 48" will work well on your tractor. However the 42" will be less likely to bog down in really heavy wet snow. That can be countered with additional ballast over the drive wheels. The K301 has plenty of horses so the factor that determines how much snow you can push will be traction.

HTH,

hank

Lane Ranger

:thumbs:

Here are a couple of photos of a 42 inch plow with the so called long/short fram. The frame has a bar in the back that can be adjusted but in the photos it is set fro the long frame tractors like you C-121.

100_8935.jpg

100_8934.jpg

100_8932.jpg

100_8933.jpg

The manuals for 42 inch plows are located on Wheel Horse.org website but can be reached thru the Red Square site by hitting the Wheel Horse Links link.

albion

Lane Ranger and Hank B,

Thanks so much for your help and information - true friends! Your details helped me enormously, and I contacted Lely (the UK Wheel Horse main agent) with what you told me...

They were able to identify that the correct plough for my tractor C-121 is part no. 06-48BC01. They confirmed that it is the 'long frame' type and also that it's not available as a new item any longer.

If any of you need to contact Lely in the UK their email address is: info@toromowers.co.uk>

Thanks particularly for the photos - most helpful...I might even try to fabricate one...

ooh, tricky..!

Thanks again guys...

Albion.

albion

...by the way, I've been watching You Tube videos of people snow ploughing with Wheel Horses...well, we're snowed in so what else can I do?...

Well, I noticed that the long lever on the right is used to alter the angle of the plough left/right but also I see that the plough can be lifted up for manoeuvring...

How is that done? I can't see any additional controls in the movies...must be a bit of WH magic...

Albion

HankB

Well, I noticed that the long lever on the right is used to alter the angle of the plough left/right but also I see that the plough can be lifted up for manoeuvring...

How is that done? I can't see any additional controls in the movies...must be a bit of WH magic...

Hi Albion,

In the middle of the frame in the pictures that Lane posted you can see a tab sticking up from the cross brace. That attaches to the same mechanism used to lift the mower deck. On later Hydro tractors (like my 314-H) there is a hydraulic cylinder to lift attachments. Tractors that don't have that have a largish vertical lever on the left side to manually lift stuff.

The manual lever is plainly visible on the tractor in the foreground of this picture (between the camera and the steering wheel.) On the tractor further back, the hydraulic lift is controlled by the lever which is sort of like the turn signal lever just below the steering wheel. (In the US, the turn signal lever is on the left of the steering column. Perhaps in the UK that is where the windshield wiper controls are located?)

P1000934-PP.JPG

cheers,

hank

albion

Hi Albion,

In the middle of the frame in the pictures that Lane posted you can see a tab sticking up from the cross brace. That attaches to the same mechanism used to lift the mower deck. On later Hydro tractors (like my 314-H) there is a hydraulic cylinder to lift attachments. Tractors that don't have that have a largish vertical lever on the left side to manually lift stuff.

The manual lever is plainly visible on the tractor in the foreground of this picture (between the camera and the steering wheel.) On the tractor further back, the hydraulic lift is controlled by the lever which is sort of like the turn signal lever just below the steering wheel. (In the US, the turn signal lever is on the left of the steering column. Perhaps in the UK that is where the windshield wiper controls are located?)

P1000934-PP.JPG

cheers,

hank

Thanks Hank! So it's the same lever I would use to lift the mower deck up? Embarrasing to say so, but I think I'm stuck in 'Wheel Horse is a grass cutter' mode...I didn't realise until recently how versatile - and respected - these machines are!

It follows, I guess, that the lever I could see on the right side of the tractor is part of the snow plough mechanism and only angles the blade left/centre/right?

Thanks for the information - I guess all will become more clear when I actually get a plough. I've got a couple more leads but one is 300 miles away...

I'll keep you all posted!

albion

Well, I didn't get the plough so still looking...any suggestions appreciated!

Albion. :ychain:

albion

Well, no more snow ploughs for sale at the moment, so I have a crazy notion to make one :D

Yes, I know, as if I don't have enough things to do, but apart from the blade there doesn't seem much complicated about them...

but the thing is, as I haven't got one to copy...I'll need someone out there that has a plough and is willing to take photos and dimensions for me. I don't doubt there will be a fair bit of email traffic involved, but I'm quite happy to make all the details available to the forum.

Everyone has been so helpful this far, I hate to ask another favour but...anyone out there want to give it a go :ychain:

Ciao!

Albion.

HankB

I'll have a go at that.

I do have reservations based on personal experience fabricating stuff. :ychain: There are some pretty heavy duty pieces on this assembly. In particular, the part on which the blade attaches and provides the side to side swivel is 1/4" steel (I think... Maybe even 3/8") That's going to be tough to shape and weld unless you have some pretty heavy duty equipment. Perhaps you can find a blade from some other tractor and fashion a frame to fit your Wheel Horse. I don't think that would be so difficult.

If this helps, here is a picture of most of the parts from mine prior to painting:

DSC_1788-PP.JPG

PM me your email address and I can send you a full resolution copy so you can see more detail.

cheers,

hank

albion

I'll have a go at that.

I do have reservations based on personal experience fabricating stuff. :D There are some pretty heavy duty pieces on this assembly. In particular, the part on which the blade attaches and provides the side to side swivel is 1/4" steel (I think... Maybe even 3/8") That's going to be tough to shape and weld unless you have some pretty heavy duty equipment. Perhaps you can find a blade from some other tractor and fashion a frame to fit your Wheel Horse. I don't think that would be so difficult.

If this helps, here is a picture of most of the parts from mine prior to painting:

DSC_1788-PP.JPG

PM me your email address and I can send you a full resolution copy so you can see more detail.

cheers,

hank

HankB - you're on! Thanks for taking up the challenge :D

1/4" or 3/8" materials are no problem - we have facilities to cut, heat, bend, machine, drill and mig-weld and my brother and I are pretty good at finding ways to do things that should be beyond the abilities of our tools!

By the look of the parts in you picture most parts look pretty simple; the tricky bit could well be the springs on the blade and making the blade and mountings...fortunately we have a metals fabrication company a couple of villages away that have rolling facilities and several agricultural engineers to supply parts like springs. I have lathes and milling machines to make the spring mountings, and parts like the blade mounting fork can be made up from plates...

PM on it's way to you...we'll start with the simple bits!

Many thanks again! :ychain:

...what have I let myself in for...

Albion.