Sign in to follow this  
kipper67

312-8 won't start

kipper67

my 312-8 will not turn over. i do have 12 volts going to the starter post when i turn the key and the starter bench tests just fine. could this just be a ground problem ?any ideas will help thank you.

Forest Road

Its most likely a bad safety switch. Did you check you're fuses? What year/model #? First off lets find out which model you have.

rmaynard

:thumbs: Can you rotate the flywheel? I had a similar problem where the Bendix on the starter jammed, and neither the starter nor the flywheel would budge. If that's not the case then my second question is, if you make a direct connection from the + on the battery to the lug on the starter, does it turn over? If not, and the starter bench tests okay, I'd say your guess that it is a bad ground is correct.

Make sure that the ground connection from the battery to the engine/chassis is good and free of corrosion. Then I would remove the starter and make sure that the mounting plate is clean, free of paint and rust, and making good contact with the engine.

Bob

btrrg1969

:thumbs: I hope you get your problem solved

kipper67

Thank you for your help. It turned out to be a grounding problem. I removed the starter and cleaned where it mounts and that seems to have fixed the problem. Again THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

rickv1957

:ychain: Rick