Sign in to follow this  
Trouty56

C-160 Auto drive belt spring

WheelHorse_of_course

OK, so here is some additional information:

1)

Both the parts list, as well as the WH "1956-1999 Lubrication requirements Drive Belt & Mower Belt Usage Charts," show that my 1969 Charger 1-7241 should use WH belt part number 7478.

2)

The usage chart indicates that the 7478 is and HB or 5L x 84.22" belt

3)

The usage chart indicates "use 7478" for belt number 4535.

4)

When I bought my Charger it was in rough shape and that spring was the first thing that went. The belt was in horrible shape so I replaced it as well while I had it apart. It was stranded out in the rain so I did not have the luxury to find anything. I could not find a 5L84 OPE belt so I tried a 4L84 (actually Advance Auto calls it a L484) hoping it would not be too loose.

I expected it would not last very long, but it has held up for 5 years and I have never heard a squeal or had any indication it has slipped. The tension on it is rather low, but apparently enough to do the job and of course less tension means less stress on the bearings so I am not complaining.

Conclusion:

I would try either a 5L85 or a 4L84

TIP:

Non OPE belts, available at any hardware store, are cheap enough you can buying them just to check sizes. If the store won't take it back, you are only out about $5. They won't last very long, but again they are dirt cheep. Once you have one that fits, you can order a proper OPE belt and have it ready to go.

Best of luck and be sure to post what works!

:) :thumbs:

WheelHorse_of_course

PS - Consider yourself lucky! On the Charger 12 you can't just remove the belt cover, you have to remove a cross pieces as well making this harder than on a C series!

<_<

Trouty56

Thanks for that information. 4L = 1/2 inch width...correct?? That will be the first one I try. I'll be deep into work for 4 days so I'll report back on this when my stint is over. I like the feedback on this thread. Thanks for everybody's help....

WheelHorse_of_course

Yes, 4L = 1/2 inch.

Good luck with work. Let us know when you get back to the horse!

:):wh: :thumbs:

Trouty56

Got the belt from TSC for about 20 bucks. 4L84 - 1/2 X 84. I also got a 3 1/4 inch spring at Lowe's, 2 to a pack, for less than 4 bucks. Got er hooked up and running correctly. I thought maybe the belt would be too loose but not the case.

TSC had to order the belt and it came in on my last day off and had to go another 4 days at work...nasty schedule. 4 days off are nice but the 4 on are tougher as I get older.

Thought I'd give you a follow up on this. Thanks for all the input.

WheelHorse_of_course

Good to know.

Glad to hear you are back in business. :D :ychain:

massey

Thanks for the update, next time I'm in there I'll change to a 1/2" belt.

Trouty56

I was hoping you would see that the belt worked out for me. The hydro pump stays disengaged until the tensioner is released. The engine starts much easier.