Sign in to follow this  
Trouty56

C-160 Auto drive belt spring

Trouty56

The tension spring broke on the 160 auto and I am looking for replacement. Anybody have a dimension for it. It is part #9170. I'm not sure the one that broke was the correct one. It is slightly less than 3 1/2 inches long. Maybe I can get a substitute at TSC or a hardware store. If not I'll order one if it is available yet.

On a side note the belt that was on this tractor is the correct length and width but I can't get it to disengage. Seems the pump is running all the time even when the tension handle is pulled to release the tightener. It is a very stiff belt.

Thanks for any input.

massey

Bob,

I have the same issue with disengaging the belt on my 160, it is always turning the pump. I put an 84" belt on from Tractor Supply on it, so I will be watching for an answer also.

Ed

WH854

P/N 9170 is still avalable!! Check here!

http://www.rcpw.com/search/?quest=9170

If you have a Toro Dealer in your area I'm sure he can get you one :thumbs:

The drive belt should turn on an Auto all the time because of your Hydrolic Lift.

Your belt P/N should be 7478 Here

http://www.rcpw.com/search/?quest=7478&sea...=36&search.y=14

Hope this helps :)

Chas

WheelHorse_of_course

When the spring broke on my Charger, I got something at the hardware store and it works just fine. While you have access put a touch of grease on the sliding parts.

Also check the idler while you have it apart. If it turning but has more play than it should at least you can order a spare and have it on hand when you need it.

have fun!

:) :thumbs:

Trouty56

Ed,

Does the 84 inch belt make a difference?? Will it disengage? Well it is supposed to be 84 inches!! Never mind...brain fart!!

Chas,

I'm sure it really doesn't matter if it runs all the time but there is an engage/disengage and I guess I would like it to work as it should or as I think it should.

WheelHorse_of_course,

I'm going to check out a couple places before I order one and drive to the remote Toro dealer to get it. I'll grease up the hardware before reassembly.

Thanks guys,

wallfish

It should release the belt when the tension lever is pulled and not turn the pump. It helps for easier starting in the winter.

Trouty56

Thanks John. Now that makes sense. I wounder why Ed and I are having difficulty with this? :thumbs:

wallfish

I'm not sure if your tractor has the "tabs" on your belt guard or not. If you see tabs on the engine pulley side of your belt guard then you can try tweaking them a little closer to the pulley. The belt needs to be supported around the engine pulley to disengage from it. If it's not supported and guided correctly then the belt falls into the pulley and turns no matter how loose it is.

Trouty56

Well now....that might be the problem. I don't see any tabs on my belt guard at all!!

156830_169468253083678_100000615138338_417651_7253847_n.jpg

Terrible belt guard but it is the only one I have. Two of the mounting points are butchered. One at the engine pulley (shown here) and one on the bottom of the guard that is attached to one of the foot board bolts.

wallfish

I'm not 100% sure if that model should have the tabs on the guard or not since I've never owned one. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in and let us know.

This is what I was thinking of. Of coarse this one is used for a different application and your pulley would be in front but it shows a tab. Yours looks like there is a support for the bottom of the belt though. Mabe the guard is sitting out of position because of the mounting holes. Maybe some tinkering in that area with the guard will solve the problem??????

MVC-003F-4.jpg

WH854

Is this a picture of your belt guard

BeltGuardC-60-2.jpg

Chas

edit nylyon: Fixed picture

Trouty56

Ed actually made one of them during his restore of C-160. Nice job too. Here it is!!

029.jpg

Real nice job. He has pics of it finished too but you can see the style of the belt guard.

Trouty56

I just rolled my belt out on the floor and it is about an inch shy of 84. It does make it start harder though. The starter grinds when the belt is on but has an easier go of it when the belt is off.

Guess I'll start getting longer belts till it works correctly like an inch at a time!! Ed already has an 84 so maybe an 85 if I can find it.

gwest_ca

Toro's 7478 replaces 4535 and listed as HB/5Lx84.22"

In 1981 Wheel Horse had 2 different lots of 7478 belts. One had the part number printed with silver paint and was tighter. These were to be remarked as part # 4535 and used on 78 and later C-Series with Sundstrands.

The 7478 belts with a red painted part number were to be used on 1977 and prior models. (These must have been longer or narrower making for a looser fit.)

This is from Product Service Bulletin #314

Now Toro replaces the 4535 with 7478.

Garry

WH854

:thumbs: That must be 1975-76 model like 1975 C 160 Automatic Model # 1-0481,61-16KS01,S02,S03,S04.

That belt cover you are showing is on that model :)

Chas

WH854

Here is picture of the belt cover and other parts!! :thumbs:

1976C-160BeltCover.gif

Chas

Trouty56

It is a 1975 model and that is the guard. Interesting info that Garry shared about the belt lengths. I may be seeing the Toro dealer after all and measuring some belts.

Wonder what 8-87 is in that parts breakdown. It isn't in my parts manual.

WH854

Garry Leaves his tracks all over :thumbs:

Chas

massey

Bob, maybe an 85" from tractor supply would work.

If I remember right, 8-87 supports the seat pan and 8-73 is the bolt that goes through it, at least on mine as the seat pan doesn't tilt on my tractor.

Trouty56

OK!! That makes sense. About the seat pan that is. Mine tilts back.

About the belt...that is the direction I am going to go for now. I have a friend who works there and if it won't work he said I can take it back. Hopefully it will. I'll post an update when I try it.

Trouty56

Well I never noticed that. I have a listing on the PC but I always have to navigate to it and open it up. Since I always have this site open it is always just a click away!! Cool!!

WheelHorse_of_course

I just rolled my belt out on the floor and it is about an inch shy of 84. It does make it start harder though. The starter grinds when the belt is on but has an easier go of it when the belt is off.

Guess I'll start getting longer belts till it works correctly like an inch at a time!! Ed already has an 84 so maybe an 85 if I can find it.

How about the pulley on the transmission - could that have been changed out?

:) :thumbs:

Trouty56

That thought crossed my mind along with the idler assembly. I don't know the diameter of what the pulley should be but it fits in the cutout of the belt guard like it seems it was designed. :thumbs: