Sign in to follow this  
privateer

HH60 techy stalls under load

privateer

Started up my 656 to move it out of the barn to work on the motor.

Here's my problem. Stalls under load. Can't have choke all the way open otherwise she stalls and backfires. It ran great all summer after I rebuilt the carb in the spring. It has a inline filter. I did run some old gas through it over the summer. Seems like that was the start of the problem. After reading some posts these motors are very tempermental.

Started fine yesterday, as soon as I open the choke or put it in gear she stalls.

I'm thinking it's ready for another rebuild. Jets clogged or gummed. Any other areas to look at? Carb setting off, readjust?

Thanks, Rich

VinsRJ

The cracked opened choke is and indicator to me that you most likely have a carb issue. I would start with the carb..... Sometimes these Tech carbs need to be gone threw.... three or four times :thumbs: before they work as they should.

Lane Ranger

I also use Stabli in the gas in all my tractors but the Tecumseh carbs are also sensitive to gasoline changes, gumming up, etc.

I saw several folks say that the best thing to do for a tecumseh motor and carb on a tractor when storing is to turn off the valve on your gas tank and run out all the fuel before storing. I have not done that myself as tractors are stored in warmer areas but it makes a lot of sense to me.

:thumbs:

Coadster32

I saw several folks say that the best thing to do for a tecumseh motor and carb on a tractor when storing is to turn off the valve on your gas tank and run out all the fuel before storing.

I am one of them. I agree that it sounds like a carb issue. If it's not, you could also try a new condencer, but typically that would only give out under high load, or when the engine gets hot. Oh, and yes, they are tempermental. (Perhaps that's why we name them with women's names :thumbs: ) Either way, good luck.

Make sure the manifold connections are tight. It could be drawing air if it has worked loose from vibration. I had this happen over the summer on my lawn ranger. Tug on the airbox and see if it wobbles a tiny bit- sounds dumb but it could be as simple as that.

mr.pipes

You should also check your throttle and choke shafts for play. The last 3 or 4 Techy's I have come across had lousey carbs. I haven't got one yet, but you can get an aftermarket Oregon carb for a H60 shipped for under $50. I don't know if they are any good or not. Can't be much worse than a $15 rebuild kit with little progress or using my skin as a sponge to absorb carb cleaner. :thumbs::wh: :)

wheelhorse656

make sure your head bolts are torqued between 180 to 200 inch pounds that could be part of ur problem. :thumbs: :)

privateer

THX for all the advice. Spot on might I say with these predictable machines :ychain:

Tore the carb and cleaned with carb spray. cleaned all the needle holes with a wire brush strand reinstalled and set at factory spec. Fixed up the throttle spring that looked to be binding up a bit.

Had a screw missing in the bottom of the air cleaner. fixed that.

I'll put a wrench to the head bolts.

I do have the notorious throttle play in the shaft......

She started right up, opened the choke, ran to temp and out of gas, made no adjustment. Back in the barn for til the spring.

All set for now. Happy Holidays!

Coadster32

:ychain: Should be good for next year now! A little fuel filter will go a long way. Good Luck.

nick909

You should check the valve lash. I have found with techy and briggs engines that the vlave lash closes down after many hours of running. The engine will start okay but then after three to five minutes under load it will lose power and stop. It will need a lot of choke to restart, then quit again when to try to load the engine again. The intake valve especially will be down to a couple of thousands lash.