Sign in to follow this  
strausbo

Hydro Filter Change

strausbo

I have a 1969 Charger 12 Automatic. I would like to change the hydro filter as I today realized that I have an engine oil filter instead of a hydraulic oil filter on the tractor. My question is can I do this without loosing very much fluid? I would like to make the change without draining the fluid, if possible. Thanks!

ol550

You will just lose what is in the filter.

wh79d160

What kind of fluid do you have in it? What kind does it take? The D's take engine oil & the filter is actually rated as an oil filter. You can put a hydraulic filter on it that has a smaller micron rating, but it isn't necessary.

strausbo

First let me say that on this tractor, if you remove the filter from the hydro with oil in the hydro unit, it will run out of the hydro unit after the filter is removed. Today, I installed a new NAPA 1410 filter. This filter is for hydraulic applications and does not have an internal bypass. I had a NAPA 1307 on it and it has an internal bypass. Not Good, If the filter should plug up for some reason. I have been using AMSOIL synthetic auto trans fluid for several years now.

wh79d160

I use 1307's in my D's w/1030 oil. I use 1410's in my cub & jd's w/hyguard & hytrans hydro fluid. I would assume the 1410 would have trouble filtering the thicker motor oil because of the higher micron rating. Never could understand why :thumbs: used motor oil in there hydro systems. I have a D200 that the ppo (previous previous owner ) filled w/univ. tractor fluid. It has a :) filter on it. it's squirly. I don't know if thats why. I don't use it & haven't got around to flushing it & changing everything yet. The bypass valve on oil filters is in case the filter gets clogged, oil (unfiltered) can still get thru it.

WheelHorse_of_course

First let me say that on this tractor, if you remove the filter from the hydro with oil in the hydro unit, it will run out of the hydro unit after the filter is removed. Today, I installed a new NAPA 1410 filter. This filter is for hydraulic applications and does not have an internal bypass. I had a NAPA 1307 on it and it has an internal bypass. Not Good, If the filter should plug up for some reason. I have been using AMSOIL synthetic auto trans fluid for several years now.

I have a 1969 Charger and I did not have that problem - I just changed the filter and topped it off. I wonder if your's was over-filled?

And yes you are correct, you want a hydraulic filter, the type of fluid is irrelevant to the fact this is a hydraulic application.

:) :thumbs:

strausbo

No.....I was not overfilled. The tractor was raised on the right rear to remove that wheel and gain better access to the filter. I kept waiting for the fluid to stop coming out after I removed the old filter. It did not stop and I then hurried to install the new NAPA 1410 filter before loosing too much more fluid.

wh79d160

Did you notice a problem with it before that prompted you to want to change the filter? If so, did it make a difference?

strausbo

No, I was not having any problems with the trans. I happened to run across a good cross reference for the wheel horse #5990 filter versus Wix and NAPA. I decided to check mine and found that I had the NAPA 1307. It had been on the tractor for three years. I only use the tractor with my EZ Rake lawn vac in the fall so it did not have that much runtime but I still wanted the other filter on the tractor. :thumbs: