Sign in to follow this  
Butch

Pic wanted on C-175 engine topside

Butch

I replaced the fuel pump on my C-175 and after putting everything back together the idle will not drop down when you lower the throttle. I don't know if there is a spring missing or not. I did not take apart any of the linkage at all. I unbolted the intake manifold and tilted it all back to give me room to work on the pump. I did bend a piece but I bent it back. There is only ONE spring on the linkage. Should there be two?

When you sit in the seat it is the far linkage that is not coming back. The near linkage does but it also has a spring attached.

So an overhead view of the linkage would be greatly appreciated.

On the plus side however is it starts right up now! The other pump was really

leaking bad. Lucky I didn't have an engine fire.

Butch

IDriveWheelHorse

I replaced the fuel pump on my C-175 and after putting everything back together the idle will not drop down when you lower the throttle. I don't know if there is a spring missing or not. I did not take apart any of the linkage at all. I unbolted the intake manifold and tilted it all back to give me room to work on the pump. I did bend a piece but I bent it back. There is only ONE spring on the linkage. Should there be two?

When you sit in the seat it is the far linkage that is not coming back. The near linkage does but it also has a spring attached.

So an overhead view of the linkage would be greatly appreciated.

On the plus side however is it starts right up now! The other pump was really

leaking bad. Lucky I didn't have an engine fire.

Butch

I don't have a picture but I am pretty sure I know what your issue is here...

You should only have a spring on the Throttle side of the carb and maybe one on the govenor. Your choke has no spring. The linkage closest to the hood is your Choke, so that won't move unless the choke lever is moved. And what makes this the most easy to diagnose is the fact that you didn't detach any linkages.

When you unbolted your intake, I'd be willing to bet that either 1. some dirt or crud got pinched between the surface of your intake and block, causing a constant vacuum thus running higher due to air bypassing the carb and going in at the intake. Or, 2. When you tilted your intake back, the gasket broke or moved causing a vacuum.

A couple things you can try... If you have a propane torch, turn the gas on low (without fire) and start the engine. Place the torch head near the intakes and see if your engine starts to run differently (i.e. idle increase or decrease) If it does then you have more evidence of that being your problem.

Also I may be completely wrong. So here is the link to the Kohler KT17 Service manual which will show the linkage in many different images.....

Wheel Horse C-175 (KT17) Service Manual

Butch

Thanks Harry. The gaskets although in one piece looked a little ratty so I took them off and cleaned the surfaces up and ordered new gaskets. No one around here stocks them so they had to be ordered. Hopefully that takes care of the problem. Thanks again.

Butch

S. Jersey

Wheel Horse Fan

You can try carb cleaner instead of propane.

If you still need pictures let me know. Be sure to send me a PM as I don't get on this site as much as I used to or want to.

Butch

I cleaned up both intake ports real good and got them nice and smooth and installed new intake gaskets. It still won't idle down. It stays way up. I can only manually bring it down with my finger. I am doing this with the air cleaner off. Would this make a difference since the air cleaner assembly has a hose(vacuum?) that goes from the engine to the air cleaner housing?

Thanks.

TT

It has to be something simple like a bent link or bracket, Butch.

I'm not overly familiar with the KT series, but the throttle control / governor system looks similar to the K series singles.

There should be little to no tension on the spring that attaches to the end of the governor arm opposite the carb link end when the throttle control is in the closed (idle) position. If there is, try loosening the throttle cable housing clamp so the housing can slide closer to the engine.

If that doesn't help, move the housing back and try resetting the governor arm on the shaft. (follow the instructions in section 8 of the manual - Figure 8-40 shows the procedure)

The hose into the air cleaner is pressure (crankcase vent) not vacuum, so that won't make a bit of difference. :ychain:

Butch

Thanks TT I'll give that a try.