Sign in to follow this  
cavmedic

36" rear AND side discharge deck

cavmedic

I just recently picked up a B-80 that I plan to be my snow removal machine. My buddy stopped by last night and we were standing in the garage kicking the tires , when he noticed that the mower deck had both a side discharge and a rear discharge.

I did not think anything of it , but he wasn't sure he ever ran across one like that. Is this something that was home brewed or did they actually make them like that?

btrrg1969

:thumbs:

W9JAB
ThisThreadIsWorthless.jpg

HankB

Does it look something like this?

DSC_3176-PP.JPG

It looks to me like WH used the same deck stamping for both side and rear discharge mowers. For the SD deck, they cut a notch and welded in the side chute and rear baffles. I have an older deck where the baffles have rusted out. If that's what you have, then it is indeed a side and rear discharge. :thumbs:

-hank

btrrg1969

can we get a picture of the top side as well ? Looks like somebody modified it :thumbs:

cavmedic

Does it look something like this?

DSC_3176-PP.JPG

It looks to me like WH used the same deck stamping for both side and rear discharge mowers. For the SD deck, they cut a notch and welded in the side chute and rear baffles. I have an older deck where the baffles have rusted out. If that's what you have, then it is indeed a side and rear discharge. :thumbs:

-hank

I only had this thing for 2 days, and havn't been able to look it in daylight. Ill take some pics tonight as best as I can . I want to mow the grass with it one time before I pull the deck off for the winter.

HankB

can we get a picture of the top side as well ? Looks like somebody modified it :thumbs:

I just put it away for the winter. Sorry, no picture. I looked for a parts diagram that showed the shell but could not find one. :)

However, I also have a 36" Side discharge deck on a 312-8 that looks the same. Looks like RD here, no?

P1000939-PP.JPG

From the other side, it is clearly SD:

P1000937-PP.JPG

And the deck itself:

DSC_2632-PP.JPG

Hard to imagine that two decks obtained in two different states have been similarly modified.

-hank

cavmedic

That looks IDENTICAL to what I have. I just have to look underneath to see if the baffles still exist.

I did notice the other night when I was mulching some leaves , not much was flying out the side discharge ....

Kelly

Yes that is how they built the side discharge just weld baffles in and cut the side open and add a shoot that is welded in place, I have a few of both.

cavmedic

I just checked on the deck. There are NO baffles. I do not really see any remnants of where they would have been welded on. There is a thin layer of grass on there , but when I take the deck off , Ill be cleaning it up prior to winter storage.

Now the question is........... How will this affect the cutting performance? Being there are no baffles and open on two sides, would that cause major clogging issues? One would kinda think not, BUT I would guess there wouldn't be much of a positive pressure to blow out clippings..

HankB

Now the question is........... How will this affect the cutting performance? Being there are no baffles and open on two sides, would that cause major clogging issues? One would kinda think not, BUT I would guess there wouldn't be much of a positive pressure to blow out clippings..

I think you have already stated your answer. Very little will get blown out the side discharge and most will just be dropped under and behind the blades. I doubt there would be clogging problems because there's nothing to cause the grass to accumulate around the blades.

-hank

cavmedic

Sorry for the delay , there is an issue with communistcast passing emails from this site.... But anyway,,,, Thanks for all the info .