Sign in to follow this  
Horse'n Around

Connecting rod compatability

Horse'n Around

From what I can tell, it appears that the K161 and K181 share the same length connecting rod, am I correct? It looks like the difference as far as the increased displacement is in the longer throw of the crankshaft on the 181. Im asking because considering swapping the crank and rod from one engine which is a K181 into a rebuilt K161 because I want to exchange its 3/4" crankshaft for the 1" which will much better suit my purposes.

Thanx,

John

TT

If the piston pin height is the same and the stroke is longer, the connecting rod has to be shorter or the piston will partially pop out of the bore.

There were many different rods used over the years, so I wouldn't be able to even guess if what you have would work.

What I can tell you is that the newer K-161 had the same bore size as the K-181's and you can definitely make a 161 into a 181 by installing the crank & related parts.

Make absolutely sure that the camshaft you use is for the longer stroke crank (it'll be clearance-ground between the lobes) or the rod will hit the cam.

wheel857

ebay a 181 probably less $ and headach

Horse'n Around

Thank you for your help everyone. Wow, Im glad that I asked,I was not aware that there were multiple size rods used on these. Im deflineately going to pay close attention as I inspect all the parts so I can make sure that they are compatable.I also remembered that I have a crank and rods from a K161 that was origionally in a WH that I picked up a while back that had a sticky valve and all but one of the shroud attachment points were broken on the bearing plate . I disassembled it and put the parts in plastic ziplock bags to keep everything clean and safe. I think Im going to clearances on the rod and crank and see if they are in spec and if everything checks out I can swap in those parts and still have a 161 not that it would hurt to make it a 181 or anything . As long as it runs well, I will be a happy camper.

Thanks again for your assistance.

John