Sign in to follow this  
SkyhawkTL

Replacement engine - Harbor Freight

SkyhawkTL

Saw this on another post concerning Harbor Freights Grayhound:

"Would like to see the Greyhound on a Suburban. Been thinking about doing the same thing to my 550" :thumbs:

Does anyone know if this has been done, and are able to post photos of the outcome. Just Curious........

littleredrider

The cylinders are swept forward on those engines, tho I don't have or never really seen a suburban up close, not sure how it would mount in the frame. I did one on my ranger, had the move the engine back 4-5", course this was a 13 horse, but the smaller engines are the same just smaller dimensions.

VinsRJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8HWW5XkGkQ

Here's my Suburban with a HF Clone. NO MODS to the frame, tranny case or hood stand. The HF Clone 6.5 fits like a glove and dropped right in. You will have to fashoin an exhaust and remove the gas tank. Also there are a ton of parts available. :) I've run this motor for an entire summer with no issues. I have added a Karts Racing Clone Carb, K&N cone air filter, header dump and painted the blower cover red.... but other than that its box stock. For a driver tractor there really is no other way to go IMO.

In my other vid of the RAT you see me stall it :thumbs: :wh:

Looks like there's a Honda electric start kit for the Greyhound 6.5, based on compatibilities w/ the similar Honda engine, if you want that, since the 6.5 HF only has a pull start. Maybe not necessary for the Suburban but a Lawn Ranger with a tired tecumseh h60? It might look okay with the flywheel cover painted red too - and ditch the gas tank. I'd be game for that in my L-156.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/honda-cl...or-frieght.html

Anyone try the electric start?

The 13 horse heart is a terrific transplant. I'm sure the power is unbelievable. For me, though, the little 'techy' always had enough gumption to mow and putt around with plenty of charm. I believe the 6.5 is more in harmony with that aspect, so I guess its just one man's preference over another.

Check out this REALLY slick 6.5 job - very inspirational for those afflicted by H60 woes.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=137765

Just to showcase what a small block can do (and I am in no way affiliated with the artists) ... I'm sure some of you have seen these - these guys are insane.

WARNING: disturbing wheel horse violence, viewer discretion advised. :thumbs: