Sign in to follow this  
Zeek

Please Be Honest Kohler v Tecumseh

squonk

My dad bought a brand new 604 in 64. By 1977 when we sold the house, It was on it's 4th Techy. We mowed,plowed snow,plowed gardens, engines got regular svc. ect. They would run good for 2 yrs and then ended up running like crap. We kept taking it to a 400 yr old small engine mechanic. He would change ign. parts, installed brand new carbs nothing ever worked. I was just a kid then so had no idea what the problem was. All I new was that my grandfather had all Briggs powered stuff that never hardly ever got a new spark plug and they ran forever. I like an all original WH as much as anyone. I just won't own one that came with a Techy. That's why I have a 704. I wanted a tractor like I had as a kid but not the Techy motor. So I got a tractor the same as the 604 but with an original Kohler

Coadster32

Alot of people knock the tecumseh, but I like mine on the 551. If you use a fuel filter, and run the carb dry, you won't have any of the standard problems that you'll hear about them. When I store it for a season, I also bring the piston just short of TDC to open up the points. Once you have them setup and running good, they will last a while. Original is priceless. The Kohler I have runs great, and I like it also. It does however seem to be less needy of being perfect to run good. All of this is just from my experience. Anything should run good if you treat it right. If Tecumseh was so far off, why did their motors go practically unchanged by design for so many years. Just my $.02.

stevasaurus

Alot of people knock the tecumseh, but I like mine on the 551. If you use a fuel filter, and run the carb dry, you won't have any of the standard problems that you'll hear about them. When I store it for a season, I also bring the piston just short of TDC to open up the points. Once you have them setup and running good, they will last a while. Original is priceless. The Kohler I have runs great, and I like it also. It does however seem to be less needy of being perfect to run good. All of this is just from my experience. Anything should run good if you treat it right. If Tecumseh was so far off, why did their motors go practically unchanged by design for so many years. Just my $.02.

Chris is right...a good running techy is hard to beat. anybody can get a Kohler running...but the satisfaction of getting that Techy running good...I was going to say priceless...better then that...hooters. :thumbs:

Coadster32

Hey Steve, that horse pic is funny stuff. :thumbs:

stevasaurus

Thanks Chris...I just love the look on their faces. Cracks me up. :thumbs:

squonk

Thanks Chris...I just love the look on their faces. Cracks me up. :thumbs:

I think the Techy Horse farted and the one on the right end got the first whiff!