Sign in to follow this  
Zeek

Please Be Honest Kohler v Tecumseh

Zeek

Is a Work Horse 700 with a Tecumseh engine viewed as slightly less valuable than a Wheel Horse with a Kohler?

I ask because ye all have greater knowledge than I about this. :thumbs: I do not wish to insult anyone and I realize to each his own, I'm asking because I want to purchase my first Wheel Horse for a restoration.

I know "to each his own" and it is what you want and like personally, just looking for some veteran Wheel Horse opinion on the matter.

It seems to me as though Kohler is the preferred engine. Not looking to start a Ford v Chevy war, just looking for some honest opinions before spending some TIME and money.

My other option is a 1967 six-speed which will require some major restoration in the form of finding a steering wheel, hood ornament, seat and drive belt cover (cosmetics are expected and I'm fine with that).

Thanks for your input . . .

Kelly

I will say first I like Kohler's better, but a good running tecumseh is great but hard to find, I'll try to make a list now this is my opinions.

1, Kohler's are much more plentiful, in running condition

2, Kohler's are much easier to tune,

3, Kohler parts seem to be easier to locate

4, Kohler engines mainly the K series, seem to last far longer under reg. use

5, Tucky's are prone to carb. issues

6, many tuckys are alum. blocks and wear much faster

7, A good running tucky is a thing to behold they rev. faster, and have good power

Yes I'm biased, but I do have a few good running tucky's and would not trade them, but I try to steer clear of them, and have built tractors that were powered by tecumseh's, and with a few correct parts are now Kohler powered and I bet even a veteran collector can not tell I swapped engines.

and to try to answer your question on value, a good running tractor with a Kohler will most times be worth more, but not always.

dadstractor1

k is better engine but not right for 700 nice tractor dadstractor :thumbs:

Horse'n Around

I own 3 tractors 2 with Kohlers (K161 & K181) and my Troybilt tiller has a K161 in it also my Raider with a HH 120 and Im really happy with all 4 of them. I know that Tecumsehs have a bad reputation and I may be one of the lucky folks that have a really good running one. When I first got my Raider which origionally came with the HH 100 10 HP Techy, the engine was not complete and I had a complete running HH120 on hand so I installed it . I did a bunch of research I have discovered that the ign systems on Techy's with the solid state ign system are very expensive to replace when they go south. I have two Techys with the solid state system and luckily they are both good,but the parts to replace them seem to be pricey. Theres a gentleman who is currently doing a really good series of articles in LAGC magazine on the Techy solid state systems. In it he shows and describes how to repair them in detail or he can do it for a fee on an exchange basis. It seems that the HH100 and HH120 parts are harder to find used too than a Kohler.. at least in my neck of the woods. I am always on the look out for spares just in case, same with Kohlers too. I really like my Kohlers, they are always really reliable and I have never had any problems with any of them so I have tons of confidence in them. With all the talk about the Techy's I am in the wait and see mode as to how reliable it is over time. Like I said, so far it runs flawlesly but I have only been able to drive the Raider once due to a trashed tranny. So far when I work on it(which is just about daily) the always engine starts instantly in less than a full revolution of the engine and it idles,revs and carburates cleanly.When I rebuilt the carb and payed close attn to making sure all the orfices and everything were clear and clean likie you shuold anytime you do it. there are 2 tiny holes behind a welch plug that were plugged up and would have been a problem had I not removed the plug and carefully cleaned them out and installed the new plug supplied with the kit. As with anything, I believe that when doing maintenance etc, attention to detail is the key. Some machines and engines are more forgiving than others and will run pretty darned good with pretty cruddy carb or a marginally functioning ign system. I have a feeling that a Techy might be a bit more tempermental than other engines and just needs to be well maintained. If the Techy ever has a failure that requires me to replace it with another engine. If I dont have another good Techy to install I would choose a Kohler because they are plentifull and parts are everywhere.

I hope this is of some help to you. I wish I could figure out how to get my point across with less words... Im a horribly slow typist. Using my 2 finger tecnique, it feels like this took me something like 14 hours to type.... I have a feeling that some of my posts put people to sleep :thumbs:

John

JimD

smiley-sleep004.gif :thumbs: Just kiddin ya Az.

I prefer Kohler engines too for all of the reasons mentioned. I did however just install a Techy in my C85. :) It was given to me, and I hope to get good service from it. It runs very well, and I hope to be able to keep it that way.

KC9KAS

I have to lean towards the Kohlers for the given.

I did recently aquire a 10 & 8 hp Techy in a deal, and although they are newer models, they hadn't been run in years. I was able to get them running and was quite inpressed with myself for doing so...

squonk

You would get better resale value with a Kohler. I had a perfectly good RER that was my mom's with low hours for sale. I had a low price on it and had dozens of people stop to look at it. Everyone shook their head and walked away as soon as they saw that Techy. I just about had to give the thing away to get rid of it.

Zeek

Thanks for the input everyone. I thought I recalled techys being a pain to start at times when I had them on Craftsman products.

wheelhorse656

tecumsehs are good motors when u find a running one. but i do prefure kholers over a tecumseh any day but if you find a good running tecumseh and you want that type tractor go for it! its what u want! Jordan :thumbs:

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Since they are still making Kohler engines they must be doing something right.

evanloock

If we're talking about resale value to a collector......it will be worth less if you yank the original engine and modify the belt guard.

CasualObserver

I'm going to agree with Eric on his comment, however I'd like to add that in the end value is arbitrary. It's only worth either what you spent on it, or what someone else will pay you for it, and there are long lists of variables that influence both of those numbers.

Your example... a 1969 Work Horse 700 (Tecumseh 7Hp engine, electric start, three speed) in decent original running condition, I would value around $200, give or take. Comparable tractor (about the same age, about the same power, same options, same physical size), 1968 Commando 8 (Kohler 8Hp, electric start, three speed) in my opinion worth exactly the same. One or the other may be worth slightly more or less to someone else, but then we get into those long lists of variables I mentioned.

What will be more important than the value will be the work required, what you can do yourself, what you'll have to sub out, and the availability of parts. Keep in mind that Tecumseh is no longer making engines or parts. Their parts are strictly after market or secondary market unless you happen across some NOS parts. Kohler however is still in the engine business, and still making many parts for all of their engines. They have a significant number of parts that are NLA, but it's usually not too hard to find a suitable replacement or salvageable used one. Same goes for these older Wheel Horses. Many used or salvage parts are interchangeable, and some parts are even still available new from Toro.

And just so you don't go into it blindly... restoring garden tractors is generally not a profitable enterprise. If you go into it worried about the end value, I think you'll be disappointed in your restoration because you'll likely spend more than it's going to be worth. Not always, but often. Most people do this because they enjoy the hobby, not to worry about the money.

Zeek

And just so you don't go into it blindly... restoring garden tractors is generally not a profitable enterprise. ... Most people do this because they enjoy the hobby, not to worry about the money.

Yes, it's more about what I can get away with spending before my wife goes from :) to :thumbs:

Kelly

To do a nice real restore, with good paint rebuild or replpace worn parts so the machine is like new again you can sink sevral hundred dollars pushing the $1000 easy I did two tractors last year ones that parts are common and easy to get, and I had most everything in stock, had to buy seals, gaskets, belts, paint, decals, tires, nuts bolts, ect..... and did everything myself tore them apart ever nut and bolt, I had around $800 in each, and many hours of labor, I bet I would maybe get my money back on them.

puddlejumper

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that older original tractors still intact with right lauson or tecumseh engines ( correct model and serial #) for tractor are eventually going to surpass the kohler powered tractors in value in the collectors eyes due to the fact that the tecys have gotten tired and been replaced with other engines and therefore are alot rarer. This may not be the case at the moment but the 60 -62 lausons are rarer than hens teeth and sought after hard by a few already.

stevasaurus

Here is a good example of what everyone is trying to say. I happen to have a 502 and a 702...basically the same tractor and year except for the 5.5 Lawson and the 7 hp Kohler and belt guards. They are basically in the same condition (good) both run very well and don't smoke. The 702 may get more money from some, then the 502, because of how it runs and looks and people like the Kohlers. To the right person, that 502 is a gold mine, because it has the 5.5 on it and it runs good. If you had to rebuild the engine, I think, the value drops because they are hard to find parts and those parts are expensive....but we are talking on the rare side here. Rare in the right hands is worth more. :thumbs:

Hope that helps. :)

wheelhorsec85

kohler kohler kohler

wheel857

KOHLER PLS

MyOtherCarisaWheel Horse

It seems to me as though Kohler is the preferred engine. Not looking to start a Ford v Chevy war, just looking for some honest opinions before spending some TIME and money.

FORD... CHEVY!!! What the heck do you have against Mopar fella? :thumbs:

I like and prefer Kohler but I have a 1978 5hp Tecumseh powered machine in the shed that I've known since it was new, has never had anything except normal maintence and I would bet your life that I could go out right now and dig it out of the back of the shed and it would start in 1 to 2, 3, 4, 5 or more pulls..... probaly.... I think.

puddlejumper

( I would bet your life) that I could go out right now and dig it out of the back of the shed and it would start in 1 to 2, 3, 4, 5 or more pulls..... probaly.... I think.

Confident isnt he :thumbs:

stevasaurus

Tom...I'm being as honest as I can be. I have 5 horses, 4 are Kohlers and one is a Techy/Lawson. Can you guess which one is the Techy??

horses-ass.jpg

:thumbs:

SkyhawkTL

Both are fine engines - well engineered; and when set up correctly, both good strong runners.

Your tractor is only original once - and keeping it that way is the real issue to decide.

There are plenty of OHV replacement engines that bring current metalurgy and modern design to these great Wheel Horses :thumbs: - but when my Suburban Tecumseh starts on the first pull, idles sweet, and pulls strong, well it just doesn't get any better.

JimD

Tom...I'm being as honest as I can be.m I have 5 horses, 4 are Kohlers and one is a Techy/Lawson. Can you guess which one is the Techy??

horses-ass.jpg

:)

You enjoy cheese logs and frequent drink refills, don't you? :thumbs:

drinkinghorse.jpg

wheelhorse656

tecumseh still makes parts they are only avlible at your local engine shop. they are required to sell there parts for 7 years after they go out of business. i went to my local shop yesterday and picked up a set of 10hp rings for my hh100. and i was told that. also after markets will be avalible for a long time to come. :thumbs:

good post. i prefer a kolher, due to the ease of adjustments and reliability. however, i im an original guy. i have several tractors that have lauson/tecumseh engines. proper timing is critical.(special tools needed) carbs are more aggrevating. but, if a tecumseh is right, its hard to beat. i don't think there as well built as a kolher, but a good tecumseh will run a long time.