Sign in to follow this  
rjr

Kohler 241 smoking

rjr

My 'new" C-101 just started smoking. Not terribly surprising since it does not appear to have ever been taken apart. But it was sudden, as in one day it was like new and the next day I have a smoke screen following me around. Not real heavy but very obvious. The last Kohler K241 I had that smoked ran fine for years as long as I checked the oil frequently but I am thinking that I should take better care of this one. Since its new!

I have not done a compression check yet so I am not sure what I am faced with but I am wondering if Marvel Mystery oil might work to unstick something. I figure that something is either hung up or broken since the smoking started so suddenly.

rmaynard

First question is did you change or add oil? The K214AS on the C-101 has a smaller oil pan than the older K241S, and only holds 1-1/2 qt. If you did what I did the first time I changed oil, I put 2 qts. in and it smoked.

Bob

Kelly

Yes what he said to start, then do as Kohler recomends change the head gasket, clean the carbon off the piston and valves, when your in there check out the cyl. for wear, see if the piston is still tight in the bore, this will give you a little peek on how good the engine is.

WH nut

You dont let it smoke inside do you, the way the laws are now days you could get arrested :thumbs:

rjr

Thanks for that tip on over filling. I keep it at full on the stick but it could be a little over.

rjr

Even more curious. I took a compression reading and got 50 PSI! Even 40!!! OK I have never taken a compression on a Kohler. Throttle wide open turn the key. Maxed out at 50 but was sporadic with a low of 40. Boat guy suggested "engine tuner" to decarb the engine before I tear it down. Now compression is over 100!!!! Still smokes like hell. More puzzling is the oil on the fins below the head. Not right at the head. maybe 3 fins down. What do you think?

TT

You can not get an accurate compression reading on a Kohler engine with an automatic compression release (ACR) unless.....

-You turn it over in the opposite direction - which doesn't always work. (CW @ the PTO end)

-You turn it over fast enough to bypass the ACR - around 600rpm (use another engine or motor)

-You increase the clearance at the exhaust valve enough to defeat the ACR.

I'd be checking the breather assembly and maybe even the cylinder bore since this problem started all of a sudden.

wheel857

sounds like a skratched wall n oil is gettin by the rings or a leaky valve guide :thumbs: