Sign in to follow this  
tbbahner

Engine questions and swap

tbbahner

I've got a good running old 12hp Kohler off a Raider and would like to swap it to a C85. The crank on the K181 is beyound spec. If I could find a reasonable K181 crank, I would go that route

Can someone let me know what problems I'll run in to on the engine swap. Know the engine cradle will have to go.

On a side note, I had the 12 fired up on the Raider. Everything has been cobbled up on it, 3spd instead of 8spd, etc. the reason for not fixing it up. The engine is running without a coil?? Believe the book shows a coil. Whats up with that??

I kinda like to know what I'm getting into before I jump.

Thanks for any help.

Tom B

KB9LOR

On a side note, I had the 12 fired up on the Raider. Everything has been cobbled up on it, 3spd instead of 8spd, etc. the reason for not fixing it up. The engine is running without a coil?? Believe the book shows a coil. Whats up with that??

Could be a newer engine with electronic ignition? Or has been converted from coil to electronic. Me if it is running no worries! lol

Kelly

Not sure on the coil deal with out knowing the engine spec's, but as for the swap it will bolt right in, yes remove the cradle and mounting blocks, the wiring should fit but again we need to know the engine before I can say for sure, the choke and throttle cables will not work they will be to short, you might with a few fittings make the exhaust fit.

tbbahner

Thanks for the help.

Like I said, the old Raider is all cobbled up. The engine is a K301S, Spec 47147B,

should have posted it originally. It has a wire coming from the switch to a condensor by the points and one coming from under the flywheel also to the condensor. Didn't check which post on the switch. It does kill the motor when the switch is turned off so I would assume its the I post. Suppose its running off the stator?

It always amazes me what you find on this old stuff. Guess it doesn't matter as I'll try to wire it up like it should be. Its a "wonderment", just trying to understand how the heck it worked.

Hey Kelly, I see you sell some parts, got any K181s cranks??

Thanks again

Tom B

puddlejumper

It is definetly amazing what them engines will do bought a tractor a while back with a pull start k161 that needed some help fixed the obvious and fired it up and mowed the yard and messed with it for a day or two without Issue. Went out a few days later to play with it and it wouldnt start but would kick back so hard it kept breaking pull rope. Got to looking and it didnt have a condensor for the points. :thumbs: Put on condensor and all bgetter. :)

TT

Suppose its running off the stator?

Sounds a lot like magneto ignition to me. :thumbs:

tbbahner

Sounds likeits time to pull the flywheel and see what I have. The stator wires are

MIA anyway. TT, I think you hit it on the head. Forgot about all mag's.

Thanks

Tom B