Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Suburban Motor Interchange

mattd860

I want to know the different motors that will fit a WH Suburban. I know the Suburban 400 & 401 came with the Kohler 4hp K91 and the 550 & 551 can with Tecumseh H55A, H55B, H55C, and H55D series motors.

But what else will fit under the hood, bolt to the frame, and also work with the stock Suburban belt guard?

I would like to find a newer motor, preferably a Tecumseh that I can 'use' with the tractor. Then put the factory H55 motor back on when I bring it to a show or something. You can't find too many parts for the H55 anymore so I would like to use it very little but I still want to be able to drive the Suburban A LOT :thumbs:. If I can find a newer motor that I can still buy parts for then I won't be afraid of working the machine.

ducky

i used a hs50 on mine. but a short block will work. some type that is 11" tall .

my 2 cents.

mattd860

Did the Suburban belt guard and belt 'finger' bolt properly to the block of the HS50?

puddlejumper

Matt, I understand what your trying to do and I do not know how you are fixed for storage. But unoriginal suburbans are not all that costly way not pick you up a worker and keep your pretty one set aside for parades. And besides you cannot have to many horses.(Contrary to my wifes opinion :thumbs: ) :)

SkyhawkTL

I recently restored a Suburban 551 that came with a Tecumseh H55D - 2113 as original. A great engine, but difficult to chase down parts for. I saw on RedSquare :thumbs: where an H60 shared many of the same parts with my H55. I bought an H60-75213F Tecumseh as a parts engine and it worked out perfect. I fabricated my own design belt guide and it works great - see photo. I also could not find a new air cleaner - so I took the old one apart - (pry open the can) and tossed out the old element. Then insert a new tecumseh element into the can small end first - drill a hole in the element - then bolt it on. (The new element fits perfect and is clamped between the can and the carb plate - see the photo. Good luck with your project.

DSC00257.jpg

E1.jpg

E2.jpg

DSC00502.jpg

DSC00500.jpg

SkyhawkTL

Forgot to mention that there are a ton of Tecumseh H60s around that are in great shape - and that my belt guards fit fine. Rebuilding my 32" mower deck now - anyone have an exploded view?

grnlark

My brother 'VinsRJ' uses a Greyhound motor (the knock-off Honda) on one of his machines. You can get it from Harbor Frieght. It's around $100 and comes with a 2 year warranty. It's a direct bolt on (except a slight modification to the airbox) and the stock belt guard works as well. PM him or maybe he'll see this thread and post a pic. For a reliable usable motor, that's hands-down the way to go.

Coadster32

I recently restored a Suburban 551

Looks like a job very well done. :thumbs: The paint on that looks amazing. :) Do you have a few pics of that whole tractor?

wheelhorse656

that tractor looks GRATE! :):thumbs:!

hcminis

Would like to see the Greyhound on a Suburban. Been thinking about doing the same thing to my 550